Optonica Silver Face- Hope?-Less?

Worthy_Wax

Hello everyone,

I purchased this Optonica SA 5201 on Kijiji last year from a gentlemen's basement in Niagara Falls Canada. I immediately took it to my repair technician and had him give it the once over. He had bad news once his diagnostic was complete. Like I said, it was over a year ago, so I can't remember exactly what the issue was. However, it was something to do with the fact that an internal part was shot, and that sourcing the part would be more then the unit was worth. I immediately contacted the seller as it had been advertised as "in perfect working condition". He must have known there was an issue with it as he immediately refunded my money and told me to keep the piece anyway. It has sat ever since on a shelf in my basement. I never wanted to get rid of it as it's just such a nice looking unit. As time has gone on however, I have wondered if that should actually have been the end of my journey with this piece or, if I should have gotten a second opinion on it. My question is, is there any part that could really be that expensive to replace? And if so, would it really not be worth replacing said part if I got this receiver essentially for free? I have heard good things about the Optonica line and would LOVE to get this thing working.

upload_2017-4-25_23-6-35.png

Many of these units used Hybrid output modules, rather than discreet transistors and other components. Many of the hybrids are hard to find, but can be found. I looked but can't find a schematic for the SA-5201, but did find one for the SA-5202-5206 models, and believe they are similar.
Take the cover off the unit, and look at the 6 sided or oval hybrids mounted to the 2 black heatsinks. They are usually black, with a number of silver leads going into the circuit board below them. Check and write down the number on the front of the modules (Its probably a Sanyo STK084, but could be another part number). Some of the optonicas used Sanken types which had a shiny metal cover on the front of their hybrids, and were marked as S-60W, or S-80W, or TA-60, or TA-40 etc.
Look at your unit, and let us know what the part number is? This is probably what your tech was talking about, as the are a known difficult item to find. But while you have the cover off, check and make sure that you don't see any big cracks on the circuit boards as a result of poor handling during shipping. Feel free to take pictures of the inside, showing the hybrids and boards, and we may be able to help.

Thanks for the informative reply! The hybrids are labeled, like you said, as STK-084. Below are some pictures of the insides!

upload_2017-4-26_0-11-10.png
upload_2017-4-26_0-11-31.png
upload_2017-4-26_0-11-52.png
upload_2017-4-26_0-13-15.png

So you should check with your tech to see if he remembers if it was the hybrid outputs if he remembers.
Also keep in mind that some techs are not "Component level" techs familiar with vintage equipment, so they say they can't get the parts because they really don't want to work on the unit. Hopefully it is not the case with your tech. I will also send you a PM with some contact info.
Tom

The power pack is about the only thing that would be difficult to source.
But lots on eBay (real? fake? they seem to work...)

Most "old school" repair shops can't or don't do "modern" transistor replacement.
They replace X with X (I wonder if they are just parts replacers and not really repair techs).
Its simple to replace X with X so learning to replace X with Modern W is a hassle for many.
Using original parts is OK while supplies last, but those are long gone or expensive.
And the originals were made in the stone age of electronics. Modern replacements are much better and stronger and much higher quality (There were no computerized manufacturing facilities in the 70s like there are today).

In the 80s, a Pioneer authorized repair shop told me my Pioneer SX-6000 was "unrepairable" because they didn't have the schematic, had never heard of an SX-6000 and it was not worth repairing.
35 years later when I learned enough to hack at it myself, I repaired it. The Bias diode had gone wonky. I had to MAKE a bias diode (THANK YOU AK and ECHOWARS and MarkTheFixer!)

I would have thought that they could have gotten the schematic AND original parts in the time I needed it fixed.
Lazy?
Stupid?
Both?
Yes.

Point being. It can probably be repaired by someone that knows how to repair vintage gear.

Find a tech that knows how.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom