Or maybe I'll build one of these?

Jriv1

Ok, so I thought I was going to buy a K-502. But now I don't know.

I was poking around this site http://www.wkinsler.com/radios/ and saw some designs for simple tube stereos. According to Mr. Kinsler these are cheap and easy to build. I like the idea of going slow and learning from scratch. So has anyone built any of these or something similar? Whats the deal with no transformer? Any other simple build ideas?

thanks for all the help!

Will These Small SET Amps drive Dynaco A25's?

I am interested in putting together a tube amp. I am also considering speakers to start out with. I am currently considering the Dynaco A25's but am wondering if that 1W dogstar SE amp referred to above would drive them -- I am thinking no. But, I want to start very simple and cheap to teach myself tube technology.

I currently only have some of my old audio equipment to hook up to it and try it out. This includes a Luxman C-120A pre-amp, A Denon DP45F turntable with Dynavector high output moving coil (10x4) cartridge, An old Onkyo three head tape deck and a Denon DCD 910 cd player. I guess I could make it easier on myself and pickup a Hafler DH200 amp and the Dynaco's to go with this gear -- but where is the fun in that.

Also, the only reason I am interested in the A25's is that they are cheap and have very good reviews on this site. However, other speaker recommendations that could be driven by a 1 W SE Amp then maybe later an 8W SE amp etc. would be appreciated.

Oh, what kind of test equipment is absolutely essential to build these amps? I have a Fluke scope meter (50Mhz) and two analog volt meters.

A lot of questions I know but with the myriad of choices it is hard to know where to start.

Isolation transformer is a MUST if you're connecting it to anything else, which is a given with an amp...

The A-25s like a bit more power than you'll get from a single-ended stage - the 8-watt kit might be a good start, though it stll won't play REALLY loud. I would look for some more efficient speakers - 90 dB efficiency and up.

Tom, Do you have any speaker suggestions for these type of amps? Also, are there any DIY designs that would be suitable.

Back
Top Bottom