Ordered My Ultra Sonic Tank and Vinyl Spinner

Mister Pig

Pigamus Maximus
OK enough screwing around with this, it is done. I looked a bit more at tanks, and this ones seems to be the best built for a modest price, and looks to have a better power supply to the US elements and heater. The bummer is its coming out of Canada, so its going to take a bit to get here. It's $50 to $75 more than the cheapest ones, but I am hoping the extra cost is due to better materials and parts, and that translates to a longer life span.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HDWEA9E/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since the tank is a bit smaller, I opted for the 3 record Vinyl Stack unit. It comes with an extra set of record spacers, so 3 can be prepped while the other 3 are turning. That is good enough for me. It also gives me a bit of room to work with in terms of getting the spindle into the tank.

So in a couple of weeks I should be up and running!

Regards
Mister Pig

Well, now that you bring it up, I think your filtering process leaves a lot of room for improvement...:D
Hey I filter it just like my cowboy coffee, and I thought you where bonafide Texan and can understand the validity of my technique. :smoke:

Hey I filter it just like my cowboy coffee, and I thought you where bonafide Texan and can understand the validity of my technique. :smoke:

Wellllllll......actually I'm from Missouri, the Show Me State, so :needpics:

And if I'm honest, a big appeal of Mr Pig's threads is that eventually they wind up with photos of girls in bikinis.

I'm a simple guy.

But my record cleaning is on point!

He just ordered it...could be a while...

ap_721765740465.jpg

I think when I got my replacement tank it can from a Canadian seller and shipping didn't take long. The box was open though and he said he opens all of them and makes sure they work.

New cartridge for my AR XB? US cleaning system? Oppo Sonica DAC? I don't have enough disposable income! I'm looking forward to Mr. Pig's insights into the US process.

Well I am going to have to bone up on the solution recipes. From what I saw its a mix of DI water, isopropyl alcohol, and some Triton 100X or Tegritol.

Temperature I am not sure on. Not sure how long a batch of cleaner is good for, or how many records are done. If you guys are filtering solution, are you using a cheese cloth? I have seen filter cartridges meant for irrigation systems that could be run inline from the drain also.

If this works out well, i wonder about moving my VPI on and finding a smaller footprint vacuum machine for drying. Being less expensive would be helpful also I suppose.

Regards
Mister Pig

I wouldn't think cheese cloth would be fine enough to trap the particulates in this instance. Instead I'd likely start by trying coffee filters and advancing from there. I read a suggestion some time ago about using a Brita filter, which should work for particulates, with the caveat that I believe they are activated charcoal, and SUSPECT they may also remove whatever chemicals one has added to create their solution. Irrigation system filters could be a good idea provided they are fine enough...and don't remove the chems as well.

I don't have one of these machines yet so my thoughts are merely conjecture. But I have been thinking about this sort of thing for several years now as I intend to go this route when finances allow.

You forgot one thing, Cleaning time, I run mine for 10 minutes each batch.

John I have tons of comments in this thread if you want any of what I'v found out doing this.
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ultrasonic-cleaners-they-do-work.595742/

Well I am going to have to bone up on the solution recipes. From what I saw its a mix of DI water, isopropyl alcohol, and some Triton 100X or Tegritol.
What I do is use as little chemicals as possible. You have to remember the ultrasonic is the main cleaner plus the heat. In a 10L= 2gal tank I put two drops of photo flow, two-three drops of dish soap and about 4oz of IPA. But as you use it you have to remember that the alcohol evaporates.

Temperature I am not sure on.

My tank will show 35-38 it's Chinese so celsius is around 95 degrees, you can put your hand in the water to test on the stove preheating. Then let the tank control it and balance it out.

Not sure how long a batch of cleaner is good for, or how many records are done.
Without any dusting or wiping records prior to going in the tank, I'll do 32 records and for me thats 8 at a time in 4 batches (My drying rack space) (and then I strain). I'll use the same mix adding alcohol and many straining for 150-200 records. Tip you want to pull the records before the agitation stops, other wise dirt and lint will float to the top getting all your inner grooves dirty again. If I'm not cleaning any more records in the next day or two, week, month I'll just dump the mix even if I only did a 100 or so

If you guys are filtering solution, are you using a cheese cloth?
I'll then dump the whole tank lifting and pouring into a pot, metal strainer and paper towels every 32 or so.

IMG_0251.jpg IMG_0252.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom