Original 1985 Layaway Receipt for my Black LaScala's

Chorus1fan

Check this out, I dug up some old paperwork on my vintage black LaScala's (so I can try to trade em for a smaller Klipsch Heritage veneered model to keep the wife happy) I found the owners manual I was looking for, but found the vintage LAYAWAY receipt showing I paid in 1,120.00$ back in 1985 at the Navy exchange base store in Yokosuka, Japan. (that 1,120.00 # would be equal to 2,550.00 in 2017 dollars)

btw, over in the "dollars & sense" section, I'm asking how much $ you think should be be added to entice me to trade down to a smaller cabinet heritage model (feel free to add your 2 cents...:biggrin:

20180210_235923 (1).jpg 20180210_230914.jpg 20180210_230947.jpg

IF you must sell them.....then sell them outright for maximum amount you can.... dealer will lowball you and profit on you coming and going..... then you can do better keeping more of your money.
But I don't think I'd be selling anything I've had since new in 1985 -86 because they are Family Now !!! Just find another room in your house for them !... Basement, bedroom, garage, somewhere!

IF you must sell them.....then sell them outright for maximum amount you can.... dealer will lowball you and profit on you coming and going..... then you can do better keeping more of your money.
But I don't think I'd be selling anything I've had since new in 1985 -86 because they are Family Now !!! Just find another room in your house for them !... Basement, bedroom, garage, somewhere!

I hear ya, would love to keep em, but I think it's finally time...Just too big (& basement is not an option in Central Fla.:( ) I am not desperate to trade (& WON'T be lowballed by a dealer or flipper) Just entertaining options to keep the wife happy. (Big Black La Scala's are a big challenge for the "wife factor" / decor wise) I'm talking more along the lines of a fair trade with another fellow Klipsch freak. Alot of people who have smaller Klipsch already own multiple pairs (collections) and are usually looking to move up the food chain given the right opportunity. Klipsch for Klipsch is all I'm really interested in (& even then, only if it makes sense for both parties...)

Big Black La Scala's are a big challenge for the "wife factor" / decor wise

Just put some pretty doilies on them and get a few spares in different colors

That should satisfy the decorating aspect.

Doily10.jpg

Dammit. I was just there. At FIT for the Winter ERG Sprints. I would have loved to take a look at them.

You have had those speakers for 33 years and you are trading them for what reason? . Take a stand .

Keep yourself happy.

You know the old saying: happy wife = happy life :rolleyes:

La Scala > Chorus isn't too drastic (hoping) Plus I'm gonna connect my Heresy II with an emotiva sub in the family room & put the new "smaller model" I'm angling for in a spare room set up just for listening. Room is probably about 12 x 15, so the La Scala's may be a bit much anyway

Don't be telling buyers that the missus is putting pressure on you to get rid of them - you're giving them leverage_:no:
More like "Looking for interesting trades/cash"

Don't be telling buyers that the missus is putting pressure on you to get rid of them - you're giving them leverage_:no:
More like "Looking for interesting trades/cash"

They won't get too far with "leverage" tricks...I've had em this long, and still may keep em unless I feel like the "downsize" benefits me too (leaning toward Chorus in veneer). The wife didn't mandate departure either, It was more like: "can't you find a pair of Klipsch that don't look like concert speakers? " :rflmao:

Funny. My wife actually helped me carry the Klipsch Belle clones I built into the house and then "harassed me" to move the CF-3's out and put the Belle's in because they looked so much better. She's a keeper for sure. But, I'm nowhere near what she had to tolerate with her ex husband; I'm like an angel from heaven. ha. We're about to build a new house and I'm having a 16 x 21 room finished out upstairs for my audio room and the Belle's, along with my other gear, will go to. I'll be happy to have them out of the living room and where I can "open them up" when I want to and not disturb anyone else. She said to make sure I put something in the living room in the new house so we have tunes in there so that will most likely be one of two pairs of Dynaco A25's I'm going to re-veneer in walnut ran off of an integrated amp streaming files from my NAS, Spotify, etc.

No way my wife tells me what speakers I own......:no:

Mine either, but I guess you didn't see my earlier reply above:
"I've had em this long, and still may keep em unless I feel like the "downsize" benefits me too (leaning toward Chorus in veneer). The wife didn't mandate departure either, It was more like: "can't you find a pair of Klipsch that don't look like concert speakers? "

To clarify what I meant by "benefits me too", I'm setting up a 2nd room just for stereo/music & the La Scala's will really be too big in there. IE: overpower the room. Additionally, over the last 30+ years I've grown to prefer the walnut/oak veneer of the classic Klipsch heritage lineup -vs- the black birch (like my La Scalas) I'm gonna address both issues if I proceed with my sell/trade/downsize plan ...

UPDATE (Score) :thumbsup:

Moved on from my "trade" idea. Today I picked up a MINT pair of Chorus 1's for a good price about an hr 1/2 drive south of me. AND these already have rebuilt Crites crossovers & Crites titanium tweeters installed. Cabinets are in 9+ condition on a 1-10 scale (oiled oak) & look like fine furniture. They are still BIG classic Klipsch (& weigh 89 lbs) so I'm happy, (not just the wife) The main thing I like (besides their sound) is they definitely have a more upscale look compared to my industrial black La Scalas. (Now I need to start clearing some space, & work on actually selling my La Scala's)

As a bonus, I got to meet "Steve" a cool AK forum member with a TON of classic gear, and then hang out and listen to some of his unique equipment including the biggest pair of speakers I've ever seen ! (JBL model 4435) I even got to finally hear a pair of Cornwalls hooked up to a vintage Fisher tube amp, and now understand why people say older model Klipsch & tubes interact best together (it sounded sweet/warm/LOUD with only 26 watts) All in all, is was a great day

index.php
index.php
index.php
index.php

My 1989 Khorns were demos in a car stereo and home theater store in Visalia, CA, purchased by a young lady for her soon-to-be husband. They took them to Murphys where they lived. They had a beautiful home on a hillside overlooking the town. He was out on a tractor on the side of the hill one day, and it rolled over and killed him. She wasn't into the stereo equipment like he was, so she put them on CL and I bought them. She gave me the receipt from when she bought them - $3002.99 out the door in 1999.

I just looked - the place is still in business.

With that attitude you guys are going to find yourselves out in the cold!. I was lucky my better half had as much musical training and more experience than I had and we could make very wise decisions that satisfied us both when purchasing Hifi Equipment. We both new Paul K, Rudy Bozak, but She new the JBL guys, Marantz, Super scope, AR and KLH people really well, while I new the Altec, Mcintosh and others. Having worked as a manager in multiple hifi shops, she was able to get us some great prices over the years from distributors I didn't have access to time after time..Plus she had worked with various musicians over the years enabling to us get boot leg recordings from well known swing Band and Jazz band groups. Kenton, Herman, Buddy Rich, Basie, for example. One of her cousins was Musical Director for the Navy, which meant Navy and Marine Band recordings, too. Being connected with the Army anything coming to the Officers Club and Army Bands were available too. Its the main reason we gave up on LP's after CD;s came along. The only issue we had was over video. She wasn't sure we should have invested in u-matic at the time.

Last edited:
I think the OP is pretty clear in that he has decided he wanted to let the La Scalas go. I totally understand where he is coming from.

Happy wife, happy life is so true! And well worth the investment! Surely you can find something you both like in the shared living area? And it sounds like the OP has done exactly that.

My wife gives me free reign in the family room/mancave, but I had better have her agreement to what goes into the kitchen/dining/living rooms, or there will be hell to pay. And understandably so! We share this space together!

I’m very lucky that mine has no issue with what I put in the basement, or temporarily on the dining room table. To be honest, I think she enjoys these experiments almost as much as me!

Back
Top Bottom