Original or cover?

Well duh! After hearing both is there any question? Jackie Wilson owned that song.:yes:
Who is this Rita Coolidge person anyway?:D

Without a doubt, that is Jackie Wilson in the winner's circle.

Now to hijack the thread and see if we can keep it going. Let's do a few other covers.

"At Last" Etta James or Beyonce?

Roy Orbison or Linda Ronstadt "Blue boyou" Smokey Robinson or Hewey Lewis and Gwen paltrew in "Crusin"?

Cover Tunes

Manferd Mann or Bruce Springsteen a number of tunes? I vote for Manferd Mann especially Blinded By the Light! Deep Purple in Sweet Child in Time.

Linda Rondstat proved that performing a cover can be a genuine artistic contribution all on its own. Blue Bayou, Heatwave, That'll be the Day, It don't Matter Anymore...thank God they smartened up in Cleveland and put her in the R&R Hall of Fame.

Hendrix playing "Watchtower" and Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the Light" are excellent examples of the remake besting the cover. Even Dylan admitted that after Hendrix played All Along the Watchtower, he (Hendirx) owned the song from that point on.

Hendrix playing "Watchtower" and Manfred Mann's "Blinded by the Light" are excellent examples of the remake besting the cover. Even Dylan admitted that after Hendrix played All Along the Watchtower, he (Hendirx) owned the song from that point on.

I've heard even the most hardcore Springsteen fans rate the Manfred Mann version higher.

I tend to disagree. I enjoy both versions equally.

Bruce's version is raw and unpolished...I love it.

When it comes to covers, the undisputed king of covers is Joe Cocker. He did such a great job on songs like "You Can Leave Your Hat On", "With a Little Help From My Friends", "You Are So Beautiful" etc that we sometimes forget that he did the cover.

That brings me to a comparison of his cover of "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" to the original by the Animals. Can't say he never changed it up a bit. For those who have never heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36_T05GeVt0&feature=kp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfwN0X8YnWo&feature=kp

"Respect": Otis Redding or Aretha Franklin?

"Tutti Fruity": Little Richard or Pat Boone? (Just kidding)

Hard to Handle:
Otis Redding (original)
Patti Drew
The Black Crowes
Or maybe even Tom Jones

Back
Top Bottom