Ortofon 2M Red to Denon DL 103 to ?

Zu got back to me and they do the mods to existing owners carts and pretty reasonable too!
I think I'll go for this. Seems like big improvements for far less $$ than the Sumikos I was looking at.
Thanks for the info Djcoolray!

Would it be kosher to share the info?

the 103 was made in 1962 and up. the 103 models with the suffix.. Pro, SL, GL, LC, R, R/T, SA, and U have the "special round" stylus.
others are either spherical or elliptical depending on the suffix. The "special round" is different than spherical. A photo of the "special round" can be seen on DaveyW's website.

Izzat so? Good to know!
vinylengine has a list of all the 103 models, and what they were shod with. the "special round" is ground different than a spherical. It has relief on the leading side. Lopping the front and back off of one to make it "elliptical" would probably make it somewhat "line contact" too.......ie hyperbolic.

Maybe a bit more detailed mids and highs, without sacrificing bass. What got me thinking about this was listening to a track on vinyl, and a digital version of same. The digital version brought out more back ground nuances, a bit more depth and subtle details.
The 103 produces very nice bass, and details far better than the 2M red, but after hearing the digital version of the particular track, I was surprised what I was missing.

The DL103 is extremely hard to beat for bass. I've a DL103 with a Nagaoka cantilever, shibata tip and closed cocobolo body and the only cartridges I've tried can equal it is my Grado Reference Platinum 1 with microtracer retip and my Supex SD900 Super with shibata tip.

I'd suggest putting it in a closed wood body (closed offers better protection of the cartridge) and then once the cart is worn send it off to be retipped with a line contact tip. This will give you better retrieval of fine detail as well as better bass and treble extension. ;)

Maybe a bit more detailed mids and highs, without sacrificing bass. What got me thinking about this was listening to a track on vinyl, and a digital version of same. The digital version brought out more back ground nuances, a bit more depth and subtle details.
The 103 produces very nice bass, and details far better than the 2M red, but after hearing the digital version of the particular track, I was surprised what I was missing.

Why not just re tip the 103 and upgrade the diamond to a linear trace? Cost would be about 150 and you'd get more detail in the upper end and keep the denon overall sound, just more detail in the upper end with crispness.

Why not just re tip the 103 and upgrade the diamond to a linear trace? Cost would be about 150 and you'd get more detail in the upper end and keep the denon overall sound, just more detail in the upper end with crispness.

I asked Zu about the different grade levels when rebuilding mine.

From Zu: "This is something completely dependent upon the cartridge itself. The outcome is not know until the initial and final testing have been done.

As for the difference between the different grades, the overall tone and texture is the same. Where the difference lies is within the stereophonic’s. More natural, lifelike and better stereo image."

Site link.
http://www.zuaudio.com/phono-cartridges/standard

I'd go ahead with it as it will yield a better result than could be achieved without spending significantly more.

Here's my modded DL103 in use:

FB_IMG_1485583400592.jpg

I second the Zu 103 suggestion. Big step up from stock IMO while still retaining the basic character. Everything about it improves, including the top end detail. I've experimented with this cart a lot (stock, Zu, and a third in an Ewe Panzerholz body with a Soundsmith boron cantilever) - all are great in their own way but I really think the key to unlocking all of the the magic of this cart lies in the choice of SUT. If you can swing it, the Auditorum 23 SUT shows what these carts are truly capable of.

I second the Zu 103 suggestion. Big step up from stock IMO while still retaining the basic character. Everything about it improves, including the top end detail. I've experimented with this cart a lot (stock, Zu, and a third in an Ewe Panzerholz body with a Soundsmith boron cantilever) - all are great in their own way but I really think the key to unlocking all of the the magic of this cart lies in the choice of SUT. If you can swing it, the Auditorum 23 SUT shows what these carts are truly capable of.
My pre amp has a great phono section with multiple MM & MC settings. I have a Mitch Cotter SUT, and it was not needed with either of my pre-amps.

My pre amp has a great phono section with multiple MM & MC settings. I have a Mitch Cotter SUT, and it was not needed with either of my pre-amps.

Ah right forgot you had the Cotter. That is supposed to be a very fine SUT - have you tried the 103 into the Cotter SUT into your phono section on the standard (MM) setting? Do you know the specs on the Cotter you have?

Back
Top Bottom