Ortofon 2M Red to Denon DL 103 to ?

Ah right forgot you had the Cotter. That is supposed to be a very fine SUT - have you tried the 103 into the Cotter SUT into your phono section on the standard (MM) setting? Do you know the specs on the Cotter you have?

I didn't see an answer to this part: have you tried the 103 into the Cotter SUT into your phono section on the standard (MM) setting? If so, what were your impressions? Enquiring minds want to know! :) TIA

No re-tipping. The cart has to be in working condition.

Go to Andy at needleclininc and he will charge I think $150.00 for just a tip. I sent him about 6 cartridges so far. He has another one of my Denon DL-103's with the Paradox Pulse Aluminum body doing a sapphire cantilever and micro ridge tip. $450.00 for that, $150.00 for linear trace tip, and up to $350.00 for the micro ridge, he also does a paratrace I think for in between those prices.

I didn't see an answer to this part: have you tried the 103 into the Cotter SUT into your phono section on the standard (MM) setting? If so, what were your impressions? Enquiring minds want to know! :) TIA
I did not try that, just never occurred to me. I assumed being a MC cart, it needed to be connected to the MC RCA plugs on the pre amps. I can and see what happens plugged into the MM RCAs, you've piqued my curiosity.

Go to Andy at needleclininc and he will charge I think $150.00 for just a tip. I sent him about 6 cartridges so far. He has another one of my Denon DL-103's with the Paradox Pulse Aluminum body doing a sapphire cantilever and micro ridge tip. $450.00 for that, $150.00 for linear trace tip, and up to $350.00 for the micro ridge, he also does a paratrace I think for in between those prices.
Andy has done a couple carts for me inc DL 103R and a couple Shure, V15 III and IV. Great sound and he is quick.

Good info for future needs, thanks JF!

So I decided to go with the ZU mods. Just shipped it to them today before the big blizzard of 2017 hits the N.E.
Can't wait to hear the differences and I'll report back how it sounds without and with the Mitch Cotter SUT.

Great info here guys on the 103 I can use. Just picked one up new last week for use on my Denon TT. I wonder if my weak point though now that I am going with a MC will be my preamp. ? Musical Fidelity V-LPS

I also have a Denon 305 cart that I only get one side to work on. Is that something I should look into getting looked at by Andy at needleclinic or Zu?

Great info here guys on the 103 I can use. Just picked one up new last week for use on my Denon TT. I wonder if my weak point though now that I am going with a MC will be my preamp. ? Musical Fidelity V-LPS

I also have a Denon 305 cart that I only get one side to work on. Is that something I should look into getting looked at by Andy at needleclinic or Zu?
Hi David,
Shoot an email to ZU, see what they say regarding your 305. They told me though, to mod the cart, it has to be working properly. Needle clinic may be better for a repair.
Glenn

Yeah, I email Andy. He is just over on Seattle from me. Shall see. Would be a shame to not be able to take advantage of this cart.
I look forward to your impressions of the Zu upgrades.
My new 103 is on my bench along with the 62L ready for me to swap it in. Although I was thinking I might just look for another headshell.

ZU finished the Denon mod and is shipping it out today! Can"t wait to hear it!
Gerrit told me after the mod and testing, it made a Grade 2 rating, that not many make that. Most make the Grade 1 rating, and only a rare few, like 2 or 3 he said since they have been modding carts, make the Grade 2 Prime. It all has to do with how Denon built it.
Interesting. I'll report how it sounds once it's mounted and I have some time to do some critical listening.
Glenn

Link to how they rate the carts.
http://www.zuaudio.com/phono-cartridges/standard

Wow a grade 2 - very cool! Mine is a grade 1 and I love it. Sorry if I missed it but what arm is it going on?

Wow a grade 2 - very cool! Mine is a grade 1 and I love it. Sorry if I missed it but what arm is it going on?
Hey Crestwood!
I was very excited when Sean told me it was a grade 2.
I got it back and mounted today and WOW! It's on my Technics SL1900.
Listened to A couple tracks from Daft Punk's Random Access Memories 180g, Traffic -Low Speak of High Heeled Boys, and right now Alan Parsons Project- I Robot.
The clarity, detail, dynamics are incredible! Bass is great! I tried putting the Mitch Cotter SUT in line, but it didn't really help, and there was a hum even though it was grounded. My pre amp is pretty hi end and has multiple output settings for both MM & MC carts.
All I can say is anyone with a 103 cart should seriously consider sending it to ZU.

Last edited:
More listening time with the Zu modded 103, and this cart is amazing!
What really surprised me is how much sound I hear in the cart itself with the volume turned all the way down. Very sensitive now compared to the stock 103 where I didn't notice the sound in the cart at all!
Glenn

Sound in the cart? What do you mean by that?

When I first got back into this vinyl thing folks on here recommended the Daft Punk albums as great test material.

I too installed my new 103 last night. Sounds good even on these first few albums.
But, a retipped 305 is on the inbound!

I googled "hearing music sound in a cartridge". It's a common thing, you're hearing the carts vibrations, which are sound waves from the record grooves. Interesting info. I thought something was wrong, but this is very common.
Put on an album, turn the volume all the way down, put your ear right up to the cart. You'll hear what I'm talking about.
We usually don't hear it because the music is playing, and the dust cover is down. Someone at one of the Frankenfest gatherings said its better to play a record with the dust cover lifted, won't make a sound chamber from the air vibrations from the speakers, which the cart will pick up. Been listening to vinyl this way since. Do I hear a difference? Couldn't tell ya.

I'd go ahead with it as it will yield a better result than could be achieved without spending significantly more.

Here's my modded DL103 in use:

View attachment 866024

Ditto. Best mod for the buck and easy to do also.
I recently purchased an Ortofon MC20. Played one side of an album, removed it and stuck it in a drawer. The DL103 won hands down. It has greater range, particularily in the lower registers and overall much more presence and detail.

image.jpg

Ditto. Best mod for the buck and easy to do also.
I recently purchased an Ortofon MC20. Played one side of an album, removed it and stuck it in a drawer. The DL103 won hands down. It has greater range, particularily in the lower registers and overall much more presence and detail.

View attachment 896846

The wood bodies look fantastic also. The closed wood bodies ensure the fine wires are protected too.

Too bad you can't get that Cotter SUT to cooperate - I believe it's meant to go into the MM phono input at 47k - did you try that? You did say you got it used, so maybe it's busted? Then again if it sounds great without it - just enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom