Ortofon quintet red vs Shure v15 type 3

Discussion in 'New Gear - Performance' started by Arval, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Arval

Arval New Member

Hi everyone,
    Quick question . Currently i have an shurev15 type 3 in my setup (micro seiki dd33 + accuphase E 205 + b&w speakers)

So here goes the question :
    Is it the quintet red a upgrade ? I would like to know beacuse i can get an ortofon almost new for half price. Am happy with my shure but i always wanted to try an MC cartridge.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. stoutblock

stoutblock If it sounds good, it is good... Subscriber

You might want to move to TT forum?

3. homebrew

homebrew Active Member

The output on the Ortofon is .5mV and that's going to be too low unless you have a MC input on your existing equipment. Otherwise, you'll need an outboard MC preamp. That'll add another $150 or so for just an entry level preamp.

4. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Plus while the Quintet Red is an OK tracker, it won't best the Shure V 15 Type III with a HE or SAS stylus in that department. And also the Ortofon likes a heavier tonearm for best results. While it still would be a decent match. Get the Jico HE or SAS for your Shure, be done with it.

Arval likes this.
  5. Arval

Arval New Member

Thanks a lot... clear answer. Now just to add some more ????

What do you think about a denon sl 303?

That should be a big upgrade not?

Thanks a lot again

6. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Nice but still won't track as well as the Shure does. For me, many MC are hardly flat or accurate, many tend to emphasize high treble a bit much. And you'll still need a MC capable phono stage or Step-Up transformer as the DL 303 is still a low output MC. The DL 303 would be a good match for the MIcro-Seiki tonearm. A sidegrade.

Arval likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.