Ortofon SPU on Yamaha GT 2000

ateal

Finally got my Ortofon Classic GM MK II and have installed on the GT2000

First impressions before break in period are solid and very deep bass, string instruments very accurately reproduced, some higher detail rolled off but I was expecting that.

More to come as it gets broken in.

IMG_2163.JPG

Finally got my Ortofon Classic GM MK II and have installed on the GT2000

First impressions before break in period are solid and very deep bass, string instruments very accurately reproduced, some higher detail rolled off but I was expecting that.

More to come as it gets broken in.

View attachment 927552

Nice...I see the extra counter weight...and some metallic feet...might I ask what they are and where you got them?

Nice...I see the extra counter weight...and some metallic feet...might I ask what they are and where you got them?

The extra counterweight is from Japan. Here is the link http://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=245119441

The feet mod is simply to replace the original plastic rings/foot shroud with polished aluminum tube. Very cheap mod which in my opinion improves the look. You can buy Stainless Steel feet from Japan but the cost is very high at $150-$200.

The extra counterweight is from Japan. Here is the link http://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=245119441

The feet mod is simply to replace the original plastic rings/foot shroud with polished aluminum tube. Very cheap mod which in my opinion improves the look. You can buy Stainless Steel feet from Japan but the cost is very high at $150-$200.

Looks proper...I'd like to have a machine shop make me a set of cups with a powder coat to slide the feet into, that's essentially all the 2000x feet are. Please let us know how the sound changes...Tommy Cheuk at top class audio art highly recommends an SPU with the extra counterweight for the GT so I bet it's wonderful.

What did you set the overhang at? My Yamaha manual says overhang 14mm, but then a diagram shows the stylus 50 mm past the base
of the headshell. These two don't jive. To get a proper Stevenson alignment, I have to extend the cartridge out another 5mm, and this also
ends up being 14 mm past the spindle (as recommended). It's a GT 750 by the way.

What did you set the overhang at? My Yamaha manual says overhang 14mm, but then a diagram shows the stylus 50 mm past the base
of the headshell. These two don't jive. To get a proper Stevenson alignment, I have to extend the cartridge out another 5mm, and this also
ends up being 14 mm past the spindle (as recommended). It's a GT 750 by the way.

The 14mm and the 50mm jibe perfectly. The 14mm is the overhang of the pivot to spindle distance. The 50mm refers to the distance from the collar on the tonearm.

Looks proper...I'd like to have a machine shop make me a set of cups with a powder coat to slide the feet into, that's essentially all the 2000x feet are. Please let us know how the sound changes...Tommy Cheuk at top class audio art highly recommends an SPU with the extra counterweight for the GT so I bet it's wonderful.

If Tommy Cheuk endorses the SPU / GT 2000 combination then I feel extremely happy about my purchase. I actually lived in Hong Kong for 9 years and I still travel there on a semi regular basis as I still have an apartment there. If I was ever stressed on a Saturday afternoon wading my way through the chaos of Central, I would drop into one of the high end audio stores and listen and drool to blissful sounds and exotic gear whilst cooling myself in the air conditioned listening rooms. Happy Days:music:

Last edited:

The SPU has a collar to tonearm distance of 52mm, whereas the GT 2000 manual recommends a distance of 50mm. This 2mm difference is no issue as everything tracks wonderfully with no signs of sibilance at all.

If Tommy Cheuk endorses the SPU / GT 2000 combination then I feel extremely happy about my purchase. I actually lived in Hong Kong for 9 years and I still travel there on a semi regular basis as I still have an apartment there. If I was ever stressed on a Saturday afternoon wading my way through the chaos of Central, I would drop into one of the high end audio stores and listen and drool to blissful sounds and exotic gear whilst cooling myself in the air conditioned listening rooms. Happy Days:music:

When I first got my GT I picked up an NOS HS-11 from Tommy and asked him what he recommended for a cart and his first response was SPU. It blows my mind how he seems to find such beautiful vintage gear. If you have any further questions about dialing in your SPU I'd say he's the guy to ask. I've been to Mainland and Japan but if I ever make it to HK he's my first stop.

UPDATE. After a few weeks with this cartridge I have to say that I have found everything I have ever wanted from my vinyl playback. I am not sure I am able to put into words exactly how I am feeling about this cart but I will try.

To put things into perspective my current cartridge selection comprises of the extremely rare and highly regarded Fidelity Research FR1 MK3F, Shinon Boron Red & Monster Cable Alpha Genesis 1000 MK1. These cartridges are considered as some of the best sub $3,000 carts ever made and for good reason.

The Fidelity Research offers a super flat frequency response with amazing soundstage and imaging. It also provides a very life like reproduction of musical instruments. Super smooth and detailed and my previous favorite.

The Shinon Boron Red shares the same qualities as the Fidelity Research but with a slightly less wider soundstage but adds a more solid slam to the music. The bass feels tighter and more pronounced. A real foot tapping cart that goes well with all music genres. My previous favorite when it was on a lighter Oracle SME 345 tonearm.

The Monster Genesis has equally great soundstage to the Fidelity, however it is a little too analytical and therefore higher frequencies are slightly more pronounced that both of the above. Whilst this would be a huge plus to a lot of members, I like my music reproduced in a very smooth fashion due to the fact that I have very neutral and revealing downstream components.

Now onto the Ortofon Classic GM MKII SPU.

This cart has every great quality as the Fidelity and Shinon but it takes those qualities to another level.

Soundstage and Imaging – The SPU widens the soundstage even further and is only restricted by the walls of my listening room. The depth of the soundstage is also improved with the layers of music stretching from next to my ear lobes to behind my turntable. All this adds up to a huge holographic soundstage with instruments popping up in all sorts of locations around my room.

Music Reproduction – Musical instruments are even more lifelike than with the Fidelity Research. The way string instruments, percussion, and brass instruments are authentically reproduced is mesmerizing. Also the first time I heard certain vocal artists with this cart was spooky yet magical. I have read with a degree of skepticism a lot of members state that they felt the artist was in the room with them and until now I didn’t really feel that way, even with the previous carts I was using. Now I can clearly state that this cart brings about a level of realism with vocals that I had never experienced before. I can now honestly state that with some vocalist I feel that I have been transported to a dark and smoky lounge and I am the only member of the audience.

Smooth and silky – This is the signature of the SPU cart and one that may be misconstrued. Yes, the SPU does roll off the top end frequencies but it is not at the expense of detail. I personally prefer to have the higher frequencies rolled off as some instruments can become annoyingly pronounced with those more analytical carts. The SPU does roll off the higher frequencies but the fine and delicate details remain.

Tight and low – This thing delivers music to your ears with so much slam and gusto it’s almost physical and It’s certainly emotional. The delivery of the low frequencies is rock solid and it goes super low. It feels like I have installed a couple of high quality subwoofers to my system.

Finally silence – One other attribute of this cartridge is how quiet it is in the groove. Not sure if the spherical diamond stylus is the reason but I can say that between tracks or during quiet passages, there is the inky blackness that I hear people speak of so often.

In summary almost every record I play now is no longer just time spent in my listening room, it is a full blown performance.

In providing this update I should not overlook the incredible turntable that supports this magnificent cartridge, the Yamaha GT 2000. The GT 2000 and the Ortofon SPU is a true match made in heaven. The heavy tonearm, the huge platter and the powerful torque of the direct drive motor just accentuate the qualities of the SPU cart.

Also the recent acoustic treatment I have installed in my listening room has allowed this cart to demonstrate its true qualities. Without the acoustic treatment I wouldn’t have been able to pick out a lot of the differences between this and my other carts.

I sincerely feel my upgrade journey for my main system is over and it feels great.

Bravo ateal.

So many people listen to a great system and say "Those speakers sound amazing" simply because that is the apparent source of the magic they are hearing. Speakers sound magical when the system is magical, not otherwise. If the Source can't provide magic, none occurs.
Enjoy the magic, Sir.

Damn, you've added a cart to my buy list. I'm thinking this cart would be great on my S.A.M Aldebaran with my Fidelity Research FR-64S tonearm. I knew that this cart must have a following for a reason :)

LOL, you won't regret it, however do not use it until you have the heavy tonearm installed. You may not get the best out of it with a lower mass arm.

Not to worry. I'm still waiting for my new S.A.M Aldebaran turntable + Calista II tonearm. I think this table + the FR64S as a second arm will be the perfect platform for the Ortofon SPU and my Fidelity Research FR-7.

Not to worry. I'm still waiting for my new S.A.M Aldebaran turntable + Calista II tonearm. I think this table + the FR64S as a second arm will be the perfect platform for the Ortofon SPU and my Fidelity Research FR-7.

Sounds like it will be fabulous. Can't wait to read about your first impressions with the table. I read some great reviews.

Back
Top Bottom