Otari question...

janikphoto

Lunatic Member
any reason why I should avoid getting an Otari MX5050bII to replace my current Teac 10” player? I know Otari is one of the Studio standard brands.

Some new parts are available through Aheadtec in California. Including heads.
I have a recently acquired and refurbished MX50 1/4" 2-track machine that is quite superb. The machines are extremely mechanically robust as they were designed for professional use in studios, radio stations etc. and employ largely common record/readback electronics and head designs so there is a consistent brand audible signature. The MX5050 has much in common with the MX50 and MX55 although the tape handling mechanism is somewhat less "pro".
Heads (both new and refurbed), pinch and impedance rollers, and other mechanical repairs/upgrades are available on an aftermarket basis.
The web is your friend...
The sound differs slightly between the various pro brands when they are properly aligned/calibrated- for example I have a friend with a Studer A810 and I purchased the Otari after doing a side by side double blind comparison between an Otari and a Studer and concluding that I preferred what turned out to be the Otari sound to the Studer- although it was close.

any reason why I should avoid getting an Otari MX5050bII to replace my current Teac 10” player? I know Otari is one of the Studio standard brands.

Is your current TEAC deck a standard 1/4 track stereo machine or a full 2 track machine? The Otari is a full 2 track recorder though it should have heads for 1/4 track stereo playback capability as well as heads for 2 track stereo playback. Anything recorded on the Otari will be full 2 track stereo and won’t play back properly on a quarter track stereo deck. Also you can only record on one side of a tape with a two track stereo deck like the Otari, no flipping the reel over and recording on side two as it uses the entire width of the tape at once.

...another consideration - if I may, is that *I* would like a second one... :)

Actually - I just finished resurrection one for a fellow senior tape nut. Typ. issues: speed off due to controls needing DeOxit, pinch roller dried/cracked (Terry's Rubber Rollers)
foam on rear cover, tach head loose - fell off during rehab... (buy it!!!)

If it's a BII or a BII E and still has its original head configuration then that's how it should be, however they can be custom configured in the field so you'd have to confirm that it's a full two track recording head. Most likely it is, anyone buying a semi-professional machine like this isn't likely to want quarter track recording function. Also it only runs at 7 1/2 ips and 15 ips so no 3 3/4 ips use (unless customized for it).

If it's a BII or a BII E and still has its original head configuration then that's how it should be, however they can be custom configured in the field so you'd have to confirm that it's a full two track recording head. Most likely it is, anyone buying a semi-professional machine like this isn't likely to want quarter track recording function. Also it only runs at 7 1/2 ips and 15 ips so no 3 3/4 ips use (unless customized for it).

EVERY B II I've seen has had a switch on the rear PCB for switching speed 'range'; i.e. LO for 3-3/4 - 7.5 and HI for 7.5 & 15ips.
And don't get fooled by quarter track vs. 4 track - or verse visa

EVERY B II I've seen has had a switch on the rear PCB for switching speed 'range'; i.e. LO for 3-3/4 - 7.5 and HI for 7.5 & 15ips.
And don't get fooled by quarter track vs. 4 track - or verse visa

Good to know regarding the speed range selection, makes a lot of sense to build in the option. Does it handle the recording and playback EQ change too or does that get done separately?

I wish the industry hadn't started calling 1/4 track stereo "4 track" BITD, it really confuses things. I also hear people calling 1/4 track stereo "2 track" which annoying, then I gotta get a pen and paper out and start drawing the track diagram. :rolleyes:

There is a company who rebuilds these and other high end studio decks in Nashville called Mara Machines. Owned by Chris Mara. He also has an analog recording studio and record pressing operation called "Welcome to 1979". I was up there couple of years ago. It's a very nice operation and Chris knows his stuff.

I just bought a really nice 5050 bII 2 this last weekend ... What a stellar machine!

If you lift the door over the head block, you'll see the 2T/4T switch to select 2 track or 4 track playback.

Yes... and be SURE you're in 2TR when recording or you'll get - ah, "interesting" results!
Good to know regarding the speed range selection, makes a lot of sense to build in the option. Does it handle the recording and playback EQ change too or does that get done separately?

I wish the industry hadn't started calling 1/4 track stereo "4 track" BITD, it really confuses things. I also hear people calling 1/4 track stereo "2 track" which annoying, then I gotta get a pen and paper out and start drawing the track diagram. :rolleyes:

From everything I've read, the switches (front & back) take care of EQ etc.

DAMACMAN: be sure to remove any FOAM on the inside of the rear metal cover and clean very well (alcohol works w/toothbrush) the circuit bd where it had been resting against. It can cause headaches.

Yes... and be SURE you're in 2TR when recording or you'll get - ah, "interesting" results!

From everything I've read, the switches (front & back) take care of EQ etc.

DAMACMAN: be sure to remove any FOAM on the inside of the rear metal cover and clean very well (alcohol works w/toothbrush) the circuit bd where it had been resting against. It can cause headaches.
Hmmm ... I'll have to look into that sir. What's the story?

Hmmm ... I'll have to look into that sir. What's the story?
old rotted foam has strange effects on the ele. components/circuits. Why was it there? Don't know for certain - perhaps to dampen the sound of solenoids & or relays. That rear cover has lots of surface area to resonate on... YMMV

calling qtr trk stereo '2trk' is just WRONG.
There's a good track chart at --- http://richardhess.com/notes/formats/magnetic-media/magnetic-tapes/analog-audio/025-reel-tape/

great site !!!!!

Last edited:
qtr trk Stereo is 4 trk. half trk Stereo is 2 trk. 4 track was so named because there was 4 tracks on the tape. 2 channels/2 directions. This was less expensive, reduced the cost of recording. And less expensive pre-recorded tapes. Format invented by Tandberg of Oslo in 1956, and adopted as a standard by Ampex in 1959 for consumer tapes.

Back
Top Bottom