Otari question...

AB555DC4-D160-4D96-B96E-FF233AB6C7BE.jpeg 4636D7A6-68D1-4BB5-AED7-BD9ACE9A11D0.jpeg

It works, but I can’t figure out how to remount the 10.5” hub. I took it off just fine... and, what did Otari design to hold the 7” reels on the spindle?

When you loosen give it a push down. Sometimes the collet that grips the shaft hangs up. It should draw the collet up as you tighten the knob.

How is it ?? You'll need to DeOxit most/all switches/pots. PIN 3 is HOT - not pin 2 on XLR's.

I played it through headphones. Sounds good. The speed adjustment definitely needs cleaning, but everything works prettt well. What do I use to clamp 7” reels? My Teac has built-in 7” clamps.

Good to know regarding the speed range selection, makes a lot of sense to build in the option. Does it handle the recording and playback EQ change too or does that get done separately?

I know you asked this a while back, I just spotted this question and I'm not sure if you ever got your answer. These decks have EQ calibration for 2 speeds only. The internal switch only changes the capstan motor speed range and does not change the repro or rec EQ circuits. If you change the speed range with the internal switch you will need to recal the deck. This is why the speed range switch is not mounted on the front panel.

So, this Otari appears to play at 3.75 and 7.5ips at the moment. I need to change an internal switch to do 7.5/15?

I know you asked this a while back, I just spotted this question and I'm not sure if you ever got your answer. These decks have EQ calibration for 2 speeds only. The internal switch only changes the capstan motor speed range and does not change the repro or rec EQ circuits. If you change the speed range with the internal switch you will need to recal the deck. This is why the speed range switch is not mounted on the front panel.

Very good, thanks for the info!

THAT may be why they designed/engineered the deck with front panel accessible cal. pots... YMMV

Isn't the speed switch on the back panel? I would swear mine is???

Speed switch isn't on the back. The switch for hi/low speed is on the front panel, and there is an internal switch to move the tape speeds to low = 3.75 and hi = 7.5. The switches on the back (at least on my MX5050 Bii2) are for output level (+4/-10), Eq (NAB/IEC), Flux level, and mic attenuation. Not speed. low/hi speed switch is on front. Internal switch flips the two available speeds to 3.75ips (lo) and 7.5ips (Hi), from 7.5 ips (lo) and 15 ips (hi).

speed switch isn't on the back. The switch for hi/low speed is on the front panel, and there is an internal switch to move the tape speeds to low = 3.75 and hi = 7.5.

correct. It's not ON the back, it's IN the back as in rear cover needs to come off. And it's a "range" sw - i.e. Hi range or Lo range. Lo being 3.75 & 7.5 with Hi being 7.5 & 15 ips.

Back
Top Bottom