Our cat may be nearing his time ...

hjames

We are all just walking each other home.
Staff member
Super Mod
Subscriber
I posted this in another thread and realized I was kind of thread-crapping there, so I moved it here -

Our Himilayan rescue cat, Teddy, has basically been in hospice for the last year - he was getting clumsy and wasn't himself, so we took him to the vet about this time last year. They did an x-ray ($400!!) and said they thought it might be a tumor. If we wanted to spend more for an MRI, they might be able to find out more. She thought it might have gone to his head as well. We skipped the $1000 MRI ... (!!! We just don't have that kind of budget!!)
Anyway, we have been pampering him, and doing whatever we can since then. We have a bowl of water for him up in our office where he likes to say, as well as in the kitchen near his food and litter box. In the past he was always very fastidious going up and down the stairs for his litter box - but we've found he's pooped on rugs 3 times in the last couple weeks.
Accidents I suppose, I can replace a rug, but I have not seen a poo anywhere today,
so I am worrying again.
He was a rescue cat and we've had him 16 years - which is a great run, but somehow, we know what's inevitable, and I suspect he's getting closer.
Its really hard when our furry buddies are having a tough time of it - we don't want them to suffer, but we don't want to lose them either ...
and I really feel for you - I lost our other Himilayan rescue 6 years back at Christmas time ...

Here's an older picture of him - he loves it when I carry him around like a big baby. First thing in the morning when I get up he plays hard to catch, then lets me pick him up and carry him in my arms down to the kitchen for his breakfast - we've been doing that over 10 years now.

We named him Teddy for Teddy Roosevelt - look at that mustache!

Teddy_0187.jpg Teddy_4893.jpg

I'm sorry to hear this. I had to have my 17 year old Flame Point Siamese out down in 2014 because he was pooping on the floor and carpet several times a day, he was still active but had some health issues and I knew it was time.
He was the most sweet and personable Cat I've ever owned, got him when he was about five weeks old and had to bottle feed him for a few days.

I've had cats since '72 and very, very few people love them more than I do, the longest I've had one was 19 years (Dickens) and the youngest (Ruffian) to have to be put down was four years old. He had cardiomyopathy and constantly got fluid in his lungs. Both cats suffered before we made that hard decision but, in all cases, if you really. really love them, the look in their eyes will tell you when they are tired of struggling to live.

Just know you gave them a good life and don't let them continue to suffer in discomfort just to make you feel better by keeping hem alive. They deserve to rest after loving you for their entire life.

BTW, that's a beautiful cat.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear this Heather he looks like a big cuddle ball of love. You guy's have given him a good life and I'm sure spoiled the hell out of him. That's funny, that he plays hard to get in the morning but does want you to carry him down the stairs for breakfast. Sounds like he's a wonderful buddy that will be hard waking up and and not have him around. !6 years is a very long time for a cat, he's lived long and well is all I can say.

There comes a time, and it is a most difficult time, wherein you will have to face reality and take the appropriate step to ease his pain and anguish.
Often we tend to prolong this decision as we just cannot part with a dear friend who has given us so much love and attention though out the years. Thanks be that we can have the courage to deal with this sad event, but an inevitable event just the same. If he could talk, you know what he was ask of you, and you how you would respond out of love.

I had nineteen years of bonding with my Siamese before we parted, and it still wasn't enough.

Take care and God bless the both of you,

Q

I'm sorry for your troubles. We all cherish our pets and it is extremely tough to lose a furbaby who's been a member of your family.

I'm afraid that time is coming for our little rescue, Luci, who has been with us almost 16 years. She's having problems getting around, she's having a bit of trouble digesting her food and there are those little accidents from time to time. She's been my music companion for all of the years she's been with us and it will be hard to let her go when the time comes. I also know that when things truly get bad for her I will not hesitate to put her down and end her suffering.

Here's Luci, giving me "the look" that means she is ready for some music listening and that I had better make that happen...pronto!

2016%20Luci%2002_zpsnxiykvgv.jpg

So sorry about your cat.

My cat is 16 and were taking her in for some needed dental work.

Hope she survives.

Prayers whatever you decide.

I am sorry to hear about the sad troubles with your comrade. I wish the best in this situation possible.

Pets often become comrades, buddies - even close family members. And this is the reason why it is so difficult to let them go when the time has come to do so.

A previous owner declawed him, so he has always been an indoor cat with us.
I carried him downstairs this morning and there were 2 good poops in the box and a large wet spot, so his digestion is working (that's what had me worried yesterday).
Staying hydrated is important for cats, so as long as he is eating and drinking, peeing and pooping, its less of a worry.
He seems happy - he curled up on my lap last night after dinner and seems happy and content to be cuddled. But I know things can change quickly for older cats ...

My sister lost her 15 year old cat this past Sunday. It was kidney failure, she was ready to take her for the final ride to the vets but nature took it's course early that morning. It is never an easy thing.

Sorry for what may be your impending "loss", but also look at it from the other side as your final "gift". I am not much of a cat person, but I have the cremated remains of three dogs on my fireplace mantle in urns with their collars and tags wrapped around the base of each. They each basically let me know when it was time to let go--you could tell that they felt they couldn't do what they thought "their job" was every day, and I considered it to be a final matter of "respect" to not make them suffer, just to be here with me.

I have a DNR myself, and I sincerely hope that no one will oppose it, just do me a favor and let me go--while I'm still ME. Yeah, it hurts--a lot, but sometimes you just gotta figure out who you're saving--you or them.

Good luck with whatever you do, and my condolences if you have to go that route--it's not easy (trust me--I know). Hang in there...

So glad to hear he is doing better. I lost my cat buddy this summer, and it came on so quick I didn’t have time to get my mind around it. Very difficult. Hope he stays well and you get to enjoy his company.

Heather, glad to hear he seems to be doing better, what a beautiful cat (and such an appropriate name!) cherish every moment.

Back
Top Bottom