Our computer turned 10 years old this month...help

You can also download and install a version of Linux - like one of the Ubuntu variants - for free and be playing music from your PC in about 45 minutes or less.

A shot of the guts, still a little tidying up to do. Haven't had the balls to try to boot it yet, I'll do that tomorrow when I'm not dog tired. And I don't have the storage drives yet, just the little SSD system drive.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture 646.jpg
    Picture 646.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 46
A shot of the guts, still a little tidying up to do. Haven't had the balls to try to boot it yet, I'll do that tomorrow when I'm not dog tired. And I don't have the storage drives yet, just the little SSD system drive.

attachment.php

nice... I'm kinda hella jealous of the Seasonic Platinum PSU you have there... oh well my Corsair TX650W gets the job done here with little noise so all good ..(Ver 1 ..non -C unit //OEM'd from Seasonic)

I'm not sure I would have spent that much time tidying all the cables before booting myself..but to each their own. I like to boot the mb sitting on the box on mydesk before I go to the hassle of installing everything just to be sure it works.

those corsair cases are pretty nice also with all the cable routing options.. looks pretty nice indeed.

It's a Thermalright HR-02, not Noctura but similar.

It's a I7 3770K, just plain vanilla Intel. I think the base clock is 3.5 GHz, but I'm not sure what that even means these days with multi core processors.

I just wanted to build a computer that could game on multi monitors or be a quiet server depending on what was going on.

I'm not sure I would have spent that much time tidying all the cables before booting myself..but to each their own. I like to boot the mb sitting on the box on mydesk before I go to the hassle of installing everything just to be sure it works.

That's just where the cables go, the only tidying I did was a couple of zip ties on the GPU power harnesses. I can remove any component in a snap with the cables just as they are. Now if any of the cables are faulty, it'll be a different story.

And the SLI bridge isn't installed. I'll pull the bottom GPU and get it running on one, then get the second card running, then enable SLI.

Last edited:
That's just where the cables go, the only tidying I did was a couple of zip ties on the GPU power harnesses. I can remove any component in a snap with the cables just as they are. Now if any of the cables are faulty, it'll be a different story.

And the SLI bridge isn't installed. I'll pull the bottom GPU and get it running on one, then get the second card running, then enable SLI.

fair enough... i forget how easy those corsair cases are to have looking rather tidy apparently... my fairly vintage design Gigabyte Triton 180 case(s) are rather more difficult to have all tidy looking :D

speaking of sli so what video cards did you get?

oh and I applaud your choice of cpu's if i was going to upgrade from my i5-2500K (mine is @ 4.3Ghz w/ hyper212+ with push / pull Gelid Silent 12 pwm fans) that is the one i'd get. But I'm going to chill for now... and wait for Haswell... i think (i said I wasn't going to bother upgrading from my i5-750 also...so never can tell :D)

mainly i wanted to use my i5-750 for my home esxi server that is the main reason i upgraded to the i5-2500k for my desktop...that and I was bored. :music:

speaking of sli so what video cards did you get?

NVidia flavor again, these are MSI brand, the GTX 680 Lightning. They have an unlocked BIOS that allows for more latitude in over clocking, but the are already mildly OC'd. I'm not a radical over clocker, but every computer I've built has been OC'd to some degree.

I'd have no problem going with Linux, but my wife won't let me:no:

It's possible to set up a PC or laptop to boot either Linux or Windows alternatively. It's worth considering, since, IMHO, you can set up a Linux box for playback of hi res music files with less muss and fuss than a Windows box. So, Linux for music playback and Windows for when your wife wants to use the PC.

Yes I use WUBI to dual boot Windows 7 64 Bit Ult & Kubuntu.

You use WUBI, from right inside windows it could not be easier, I have mine setup that if I do nothing on boot in 10 secs it defaults to Windows.

I have a question, I have an old Dell laptop - an Inspiron 2650, Pentium 4 1.6 ghz, with 512 ram. It's waaaay too old to do anything nowadays. I'm thinking with the idea of turning it into my personal DRC (Digital Room Calibration) laptop. I have an external Digidesigns Mbox2 mic preamp/DAC, and a Dayton EMM-6 calibrated microphone. If I make this laptop into a Linux machine then which version of Linus do I need, where do I get it, and will the drivers work with my Mbox, D-link wireless USB plug, and various room correction software?

Jimmy

Last edited:
I have a question, I have an old Dell laptop - an Inspiron 2650, Pentium 4 1.6 ghz, with 512 ram. It's waaaay too old to do anything nowadays. I'm thinking with the idea of turning it into my personal DRC (Digital Room Calibration) laptop. I have an external Digidesigns Mbox2 mic preamp/DAC, and a Dayton EMM-6 calibrated microphone. If I make this laptop into a Linux machine then which version of Linus do I need, where do I get it, and will the drivers work with my Mbox, D-link wireless USB plug, and various room correction software?

Jimmy

Getting Linux to work with your laptop and hardware support won't be the issue. If the Mbox2 doesn't require proprietary drivers, it's likely that it will also be plug and play under Linux.

There are a couple of speciality flavors of Linux that come to mind that might lend themselves to your project. The right flavor depends on your comfort level experimenting with new operating systems and interfaces. However, you might consider Ubuntu Studio for this application.

http://ubuntustudio.org/

Here's an article that talks about doing what you're thinking about:

http://stackingdwarves.net/public_stuff/linux_audio/ambi_at_home/AMBI@Home.pdf

Sorry about the slight detour in your thread Dennis!

No problem Mike. This will be my work computer and I really only need one operating system. I know Win 7 already from a job I had last year so I will stick with it. With this being my first build, I want to keep the variables as low as possible.

Cool Jeffery. I hope to say the same by weeks end. I just got a series of emails from Newegg saying that they screwed up and are sending the right MB overnight so I should have it tomorrow. They are also sending a shipping label so I can send the other MB back. So far, I like their customer service. I don't mind a screw up once in a while: it is how I am treated that makes me a happy camper....or not.

I've been going to the computer shows in CT for years, building a number of desktops....and the parts and cases and motherboards.....are all over the place. I am now working on a new I5 with an Asus board and all new goodies.

Another place everyone may like is Tom's Hardware for discussions and tests and all sorts of computer parts. They even have a monthly computer build of different price points. Interesting how they determine which value of which part provides best bang for the buck.

http://www.tomshardware.com/

I have purchased software from different places, and again I imagine everyone has their favorite, but these guys provided my last copy I needed of W7-64

http://www.discountmountainsoftware.com/windows7.html

And I also admit about 6 months ago I picked up a new Lenovo AMD A6-3600 quad-core w/ 6 gb ram and a 500g drive with W7-64 bit for my wife for $349 at Staples. I couldn't build down at that price point because I get carried away. So there are plenty of new pre-built units available PLUS the pricing is so low to replace it in a few years will be even cheaper!

I also buy a lot of stuff from NewEgg. Good Good people!

Actually, if I was paying attention to what was out there, I probably wouldn't have bothered to build another one, but once I jumped into a new ATI video card, I was on another path.....

Got all my parts together a couple days ago then the power went out for three days. 104 heat index temps all three days. The office was shut down so we just sat home like limp dogs. I've never eaten out three meals a day for three days. I must have gained 20lbs.

Power is back on and I am building a computer tonight!!!!!!!

Hi All, well it works!!!! Got the machine assembled in a couple hours and loaded up Win7 and it looks just like a real computer.

However, when setting up Win 7 I keep getting a message that the video card is not compatible. I don't have a video card. I assumed that the motherboard/CPU had graphics built in but in the specs for the motherboard, it says no or none.

Do I need to get a graphics or video card???

Back
Top Bottom