Overhang à la Technics?

mackat

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi,

I've been thinking about the Technics 52mm overhang gauge. I know that this is closest to a Stevenson alignment, and I also know another manufacturer of s-shaped arm turntables used a 49mm overhang. I'm wondering which figures these measurements come from, and if I can figure out the preferred mm figure using a specific alignment for any other s-shaped arm, such as the PUA 113 on my Sony 2251.

Thank you!
Ben

try this protractor Some one posted here recently.

http://vacuumstate.com/fileupload/Guru_protractor.pdf

Also read the associated text and instructions , its very interesting and i tried the alignment and it does really sound great. And i can move head shells with the cart from table to table and they
always line up the same.

http://vacuumstate.com/fileupload/GuruSetUp.pdf

excerpt from above link

At the time there was a small group of Guru devotees in and around Sydney, Australia who had all learnt TT setup from him, so one weekend, with the Cotter protractor in hand, I made a tour and checked out their set-ups—all of which had been aligned only by ear, and which all were singing wonderfully! And wonders of wonders, all had the same physical alignment as my new Guru’d TT—even though not one of these system had the same cart/arm/TT combination!

Athanasios

UOTE="mackat, post: 12372444, member: 117093"]Hi,

I've been thinking about the Technics 52mm overhang gauge. I know that this is closest to a Stevenson alignment, and I also know another manufacturer of s-shaped arm turntables used a 49mm overhang. I'm wondering which figures these measurements come from, and if I can figure out the preferred mm figure using a specific alignment for any other s-shaped arm, such as the PUA 113 on my Sony 2251.

Thank you!
Ben[/QUOTE]

See page three of the owner's manual. :thumbsup:

It is 52.5 mm for the Sony S tone arm.
generic overhang.jpg

QUOTE="mackat, post: 12372444, member: 117093"]Hi,

Thank you!
Ben

See page three of the owner's manual. :thumbsup:

It is 52.5 mm for the Sony S tone arm.
View attachment 1394987[/QUOTE]

Duh, I should have thought of that!

Thank you very much for that bit of helpful info! Next time I'll make sure I look in the owner's manual before posting here :D

Hi,

Thank you!
Ben
Overhang jig is a shorcut. Using a protactor is the right way IMO to align the cart. The baerwald method I used in my s shape tonearm gave me good reslt, but now the overhang is not 49mm anymore.
The important things beside the distance is how perpendicular you align your cart, so use a protactor.
AG.

Why not make a protractor specific to your arm using the great tools available on VE? Compliments of Conrad Hoffman.

Back
Top Bottom