Packaging/Handling Fees: How much is reasonable?

savv

I just won a pair of EPI T/E 100 speakers on Ebay for $21.50. I was a little wary of this seller because he had some negative feedback and his feedback comments were kept private.

On the item description the seller says the winning bidder pays ACTUAL shipping/handling/insurance. After the auction, the seller sends me an email and quotes shipping/handling fee at $66. I checked the Fedex calculator and based on the dimensions and weight, shipping cost is about $33. So in effect, the seller is charging another $33 for packaging. I feel like I'm getting a bad deal here. How much is a reasonable charge for handling and packaging for these speakers?

Billable Weight: 70.0 lbs. 51.31*
Package 1 Weight: 64 lbs. Dimensions: 28 x 22 x 20 in.

Should I negotiate for a lower rate? I was thinking that $20 for packaging should be tops. What if we don't agree on these terms? Can this transaction be voided?

Any help would be appreciated.

Geez and I feel bad when I overcharge $1 or $2 for shipping. I realize packing a 70lb pair of speakers is sort of an unpleasant job but that's the sellers problem. $33 for handling is obscene in my opinion.

Mike

savv said:
I just won a pair of EPI T/E 100 speakers on Ebay for $21.50. I was a little wary of this seller because he had some negative feedback and his feedback comments were kept private.

On the item description the seller says the winning bidder pays ACTUAL shipping/handling/insurance. After the auction, the seller sends me an email and quotes shipping/handling fee at $66. I checked the Fedex calculator and based on the dimensions and weight, shipping cost is about $33. So in effect, the seller is charging another $33 for packaging. I feel like I'm getting a bad deal here. How much is a reasonable charge for handling and packaging for these speakers?

Billable Weight: 70.0 lbs. 51.31*
Package 1 Weight: 64 lbs. Dimensions: 28 x 22 x 20 in.

Should I negotiate for a lower rate? I was thinking that $20 for packaging should be tops. What if we don't agree on these terms? Can this transaction be voided?

Any help would be appreciated.

These are all areas that should have been addressed BEFORE you bid. Not much you can do after the fact without looking like a doofus.

$33/Speaker * 2 Speakers = $66.

Could this be what you are looking for, or am I way off the mark? From what I can tell, a lot of people will ship 2 separate packages and you have to take the shipping estimate and multiply by two to get your shipping cost. Hope it works out for you!

A very good point

Inspiribomb said:
$33/Speaker * 2 Speakers = $66.

Could this be what you are looking for, or am I way off the mark? From what I can tell, a lot of people will ship 2 separate packages and you have to take the shipping estimate and multiply by two to get your shipping cost. Hope it works out for you!

the seller may indeed have quoted for two separate boxes. the last speakers I bought came shipped that way out of necessity due to size, but you may be able to persuade the seller into shipping in one package.

Ah the speakers are only 12" wide bookshelfs. They will easily fit inside the proposed 28" W box for shipping. The only reason to ship in seperate boxes would be if the total weight would exceed the shipping services max limit. In this case that isn't applicable. Like I said, the seller is giving you the gears.

Mike

ProAc_Fan said:
Ah the speakers are only 12" wide bookshelfs. They will easily fit inside the proposed 28" W box for shipping. The only reason to ship in seperate boxes would be if the total weight would exceed the shipping services max limit. In this case that isn't applicable. Like I said, the seller is giving you the gears.

Mike

Makes sense, just thought I'd throw out my thoughts. BTW, love the avatar ProAC!!!

Packing these speakers is tough and will take the seller 1 to 2 hours. I normally only charge materials which is around $15 and then put a minimum reserve to make sure my time is worth.

It is your responsibility to do the homework before bidding. Yes it is a little bit high but if you put yourself in the seller' shoes you'd see how painful it is to do the packaging. I'd say you can try to negotiate with him and with luck can reduce the shipping cost. If he ships with UPS the cost is much higher than Fed X. I always use UPS for speakers because they are too heavy for me and UPS offers to pick them up while Fed X doesn't do that with home delivery.

If the seller is using new materials to pack the speakers, it would not be out of line to spend 33.00 on boxes and packing material. I would only get mad if he did a crappy job of packing after getting enough money to do a nice job.

I agree with Don C and Hotgas. It took me almost 2 hrs to pack a set of speakers this weekend and was sorry I only asked for $10 packing/handling (in advance, stated in the auction). Basically a losing deal for me.

Key variable is how well the packing is actually done.

GOD I hate to agree with HG but i do. You should have written the seller and asked for a shipping quote before bidding. If you tried negotiating shipping prices After an auction ended with me id tell ya where to stick it

Two other things. Would you like a couple of receivers shipped in one box ? so why in the hell would you want two speakers shipped in the same one. Don't forget to take into account Dimensional weight which can be more charges for larger boxes.

It's also a LONG journey for a relatively heavy package from Salt Lake City to North Carolina - about 2200 miles. For comparison last year, I paid $50 to have my Mac4100 receiver (43 lbs unpacked) shipped via UPS from Miami to Portageville (1500 miles). And then, I paid $90 for shipping and packing for my Mac2205 (with cabinet approx 100 lbs) from Phoenix Arizona to here (2300 miles) via Fed Ex.

So I don't think you're paying an excessive amount for good packing, which I fortunately enjoyed. Emphasis on "good". Whether you get that from this particular seller, time will tell. If the speakers arrive beat up, let the negative feedback rip I say!

I have sold a few things, and I make sure that I start out the bidding with the built-in minimum that I'd take for an item, and take into account the bother of packing. I always list my shipping charges which are just a guess based on experience. My listings state that sometimes I lose a buck or two, sometimes you buy me a beer, but no surprises for the buyer unless they don't read - been lucky so far. If the item sells at a high price, a few bucks don't matter anyway. Early on, a few of my estimations were too low and I almost gave the item away, partly because I was stupid, and partly because I didn't want to scare people off by guessing too high. Most of the time, my buyers pay within minutes of the auction end because they don't have to wait for a total. I like the 'no surprise' method as a buyer too.
Today I shipped out:
A Pioneer tuner - came out 14 cents ahead (sold for a good price)
A Creek Headphone amp - came out 72 cents behind (sold for a good price)
A Toro sprinkler control - came out 61 cents behind (old parts unit, lucky to sell at all)

Total net gain of 3 cents!!

My way works for me. Maybe I'm lucky, but I got my @ss kicked a few times too.

BK

Last edited:
ProAc_Fan said:
Geez and I feel bad when I overcharge $1 or $2 for shipping. I realize packing a 70lb pair of speakers is sort of an unpleasant job but that's the sellers problem. $33 for handling is obscene in my opinion. Mike
Can't agree. I just packed a pair of LA and sent to my brother. The costs were: $48 for Fedex Ground insured for $250/each. Dimensions and weight are 29" x 18" x 19" @ 45 pounds, times two boxes. One sheet of 2" styrofoam from HD was $18. One 50m roll of good tape was $5. That's $71 in costs. Knock off $10 for shipping the smaller EPIs and you still have $61. If were me, my only care would be that he did it right and they got to me good shape for the $66. My larger and heavier NS-1000Ms cost ~$150 to ship up from Atlanta. Worth every cent to get them here in good shape. Speakers are not cheap to ship.

edit - I neglected to mention the four hours it took to drive out and get the styrofoam, do the packing and then drop off at Fedex. But, that's brotherly love, I guess.

Last edited:
Yeah man, I recently shipped two Bose 701's (stop laughing, I sold them already). Took me two hours to pack them, and 61.00 in materials from Lowe's. They made it unscathed however. Any damage and the whole deal goes up in flames. Money well spent.

It is a HUGE pisser when you pay through the nose for shipping and handling and the seller wraps them in newspaper and a flimsy used box. GRRRRR!

In a nutshell, I'd rather pay an extra $20 any day than have to screw around with the evil witches that UPS and FedEx hire for their claims dept.

Picture this: Your item gets a 'semi-decent' packing job, and arrives damaged. While pondering the route ahead (hassling the seller/shipper to file the claim, having the item picked up by the shipper possibly never to see it again, knowing this will take bloody forever to get resolved, and knowing that the resolution will absolutely blow in comparison to having it arrive safely in the first place), consider that perhaps that extra $15-$20 for packing don't look too damn bad now.

As for assclowns that charge extra for packing, only to ship in wadded newspaper or worse, they should be lopped-off at the knees. :lazer:

EW - What happened with that amp or receiver that UPS/Fedex decided was old and worthless so dribbled all the way to your place? Did they ever make good on that deal? :no: Your post above doesn't make me think so.

Back
Top Bottom