Packard Bell Console RPC-25S Restoration

veeki

Hi All.

Found this Packard Bell Console off of Craigslist. Originally planning on using the cabinet just to hide an amp and turntable, as I was starting to do research, my interest piqued, and I think attempting (at least partial) restore is in order. (I know y'all have _never_ heard that introduction before.)

I have not been able to find that much researching it so far. I know it is a Packard Bell RPC-25S and I at least get some audio when I plugged it in and tried the radio. I believe the "Sams Photofact folder is 669-11" (but, I do not know what that means and where to look it up.)

This would be my first attempt at this, so I realize I'm a bit over my head at the moment.... but I do know how to read and am willing to the time in.

I've attached some pictures. Looking forward to the help.

Thanks,
Vern

Attachments

• P7280006.jpg
    P7280006.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 228
  • P7280008.jpg
    P7280008.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 199
  • P7280014.jpg
    P7280014.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 281
  • P7280023.jpg
    P7280023.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 218
  • P7280024.jpg
    P7280024.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 239
Hi, and welcome! Of course you know its missing one of its 6BQ5/EL84 output tubes meaning that only one speaker is going to work.

That's a neat little single ended power amplifier. I have the push/pull version that uses four 6BQ5/EL84 tubes, two 12AX7 tubes, and one 5U4 rectifier tube.

Packard-Bell's are great candidates for rebuild/restore.

I like your version which uses the tuning eye tube in its tuner/preamp.

EDIT: Member Markus has a Packard-Bell (or two) console.

Last edited:
This looks really cool. I'm interested to see what you do about the turntable. I've read the turntables on these old Packard Bells are garbage.

So far, I've only had the opportunity to blow the dust out of the inside and get the radio working for a few minutes. I think "muddy" is the best term for the sound right now, but it still sounds better than I originally expected. The other tube was floating around the inside of the console, so I straightened the pins and now have sound from both sets of speakers -- unfortunately the tuner is a bit off (When tuned to 92.3 the needle displays 98.)

As far as the turn table, I think it's toast. I tried plugging in a separate turn table, but had to turn the volume up all the way to get any sound (preamp needed?). After I deal with the amp portion, I'll start looking for a replacement turntable. I'm looking for something that will fit the footprint of the old turntable but won't destroy my vinyl collection.

This is turning into an interesting project (albeit, significantly larger than I originally anticipated.) I'm still researching info for the unit... it's been a challenge to find much specific to the console itself, and the general reading is still quite a bit over my head. I think it will be worth it when I get it done though.

This looks really cool. I'm interested to see what you do about the turntable. I've read the turntables on these old Packard Bells are garbage.

It looks to be a variation of a VOM turntable. Go to the VOICE OF MUSIC Site, and it'll tell you how to ID it. Decent turntables for the time, built like tanks and most of the manufacturers (except Magnavox and FISHER) had VOM's as OEM TT's. And you can get parts for them STILL.

Larry

I have the same amp in my audio workroom with a tuner so I have something to listen to while soldering. I've added a power switch, output binding posts and a volume pot so it's easier to use stand-alone.

Have fun with your project,
John

I also have a Packard Bell rpc 25 scan That I have replaced and Gerard at6 with a dual 1009. I have attached the RCA jacks to the preamp tuner and I have attached the ground it to the chassis the ground coming from the dual turntable, and I’m getting a slight shock when I touch the tonearm and/or the receiver chassis. Do I need to convert the two prong original power supply from the amp with a grounded wire from Home Depot?

Sounds like it could be a bad death capacitor. This is the one connected across the AC line underneath the main power amplifier.

I also have a Packard Bell rpc 25 scan That I have replaced and Gerard at6 with a dual 1009. I have attached the RCA jacks to the preamp tuner and I have attached the ground it to the chassis the ground coming from the dual turntable, and I’m getting a slight shock when I touch the tonearm and/or the receiver chassis. Do I need to convert the two prong original power supply from the amp with a grounded wire from Home Depot?
Check the plug to see if it's polarized (one side is wider). Probably one of the wires is grounded to the chassis. Purchase a polarized plug and make sure that chassis is on the neutral side of the polarized plug.

Thanks gents, I have the tech that rebuilt the units coming by today to snoop out the problem. I removed the units from the console and assumed when I got them back I could just hook them back up but.....

Back
Top Bottom