packard bell tube amp questions

klipschoid

Was curious what this amp is.No driver tubes as you can see.Was it driven by a ceramic phono output?.I may use it for the parts to make an amp using a driver tube.Would a 12ax7 work? This amp shows two 6bq5 for outs and one 5u4 rec.
Thanks for reply if anyone has info or tips.Screenshot_2019-01-19-20-50-04~2.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-19-20-49-49~2.png
    Screenshot_2019-01-19-20-49-49~2.png
    631.9 KB · Views: 9
A lot of times the preamp tube tubes were mounted on the tuner / preamplifier or plain preamplifier chassis. RCA did this on a lot of their single ended tube amps.

ahh i see ,thanks for knowing that.I could use this as parts but the xformer may not be able to drive another tube amp wise .Whats your opinion on adding a preamp tube and using another chassis?Thanks

Last edited:
ahh i see ,thanks for knowing that.I could use this as parts but the xformer may not be able to drive another tube amp wise .Whats your opinion on adding a preamp tube and using another chassis?Thanks

The power transformer was probably connected to the preamp/tuner chassis through the molex plastic connector on the side of the amp chassis. As long as it's still functional, it should easily power the additional preamp tubes. If there's a model number stamped on it you could probably find the exact specs.

Yup, ^^ What he said ^^

Yes, that power transformer has plenty of current for an extra 12AU7 or 12AX7 tube depending on the gain needed. Since this is a single ended amp, you will only need a single preamp tube.

It's a simple circuit and I think I have a schematic around here somewhere that you could use.

EDIT: Nope, don't have a schematic but any schematic that shows the front end preamp tube for one of those single ended Magnavox stereo amps should work fine. Feedback might have to be tweaked.

Last edited:
Ok thanks alot.Its not time yet but i will post back when i have more parts.I just fixed a QSC 1400 ((shorted pnp and a few resistors)) amplifier and i know tubes are different but to me more fun to tinker with.Also more dangerous.I jus take my time.I want to build the amp on a large cigar box.More room for the hands .Of course a ground strip or plate will be needed using a wooden box.But itll work.Anyway its always nice to hear from experienced people here.Yes.

Is the red print on the sockets original or later? If a later guess, it is possible that the amp uses ECL82, or even ECL86 tubes in those 6BQ5 sockets. Those tubes include a driver tube with a pentode in the same envelope. Check the pin connections to see if it matches those for 6BQ5s.

Back
Top Bottom