Paisley speaker info wanted

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Analogdino, Nov 12, 2006.

1. Analogdino

Analogdino Active Member

A short while ago I acquired a pair of Paisley floor standing speakers but I cannot find a model number on them.
    Here's the description to the best of my ability:
    Name on front: "Paisley Research Limited"
    Cabinet: very solid, looks like at least 3/4 inch MDF, perhaps braced inside.
    Height: 31 inches
    Width: 16 inches (or a fraction less)
    Depth: 8 3/4 inches
    Reflex loaded, port at back (bottom) with tube.
    Finish: Wood grained vinyl (quite well done and in still very good condition)
    Grill: thin brown cloth on removable frame, no pattern.
    3-way unit:
    Woofer: 9 inch Foam surround (pity it's not rubber!), high compliance, white plastic cone material, mounted low in cabinet (facing frontwards.)
    Midrange:7 inch unit, very low compliance (stiff), white plastic cone material, mounted highest in cabinet.
    Tweeter: 1 inch, dome, in the middle of the cabinet between the other two with a foam "nest" around it (but not over it.)
    X/O: fairly complex 3-way, has a capacitor in series with the woofer (noted when I was trying to check the impedance with an ohmmeter and confirmed by phase testing with a 1.5 VDC cell.)
    They sound pretty good to me but no measurements done yet.
    Can anyone point me to the model, dates, specs, manuals, original cost... also any reviews?
    Many thanks,
    Roger

Please register to disable this ad.

2. lab

lab Active Member

I found two listings for essentially the same model, Listed in the 1983 and 1984 Sound Canada Audio Previews.

1983 Listing: Paisley Research Model 30 (Reference Series),
    8" ferrofluid polypropylene midrange, 1" polypropylene foam tweeter, 10" polypropylene woofer, passive electronic suspension, 30 Hz - 20,000 Hz +/- 2 dB, 89 dB/W/M, 6 ohms nom., 31 x 15 7/8 x 9 1/4", 43 lbs, "mid and tweeter inverted for time compensation, $400. Canadian each.

1984 Listing:

Same description except: x-over listed as 200 Hz, 2 kHz, 32 Hz - 22,000 Hz +/- 2 dB, 91 dB/W/M, 200 RMS capacity, 31 x 16 x 10, 54 lbs
    "Capable of generating extreme sound pressure level, stands included"
    $425. Canadian each.

Here's a picture (if I did it correctly)

Sounds like an interesting speaker. Ian Paisley has a very respectable reputation in the loudspeaker industry.

The extra weight probably reflects the weight of the included stands and higher price in the 1984 listing.

Attached Files:

3. bully

bully member

+/- 2dB over the frequency range is superb. Will be very powerful down low. I would sure like the chance to audition them!
    In Orion, there is a "see" reference Paisley Research see Image Loudspeakers.

4. Analogdino

Analogdino Active Member

Many thanks, "lab".
    The picture looks exactly like mine but the depth of mine is not 9 1/2, it's 8 3/4 inches. The woofer is 9 inches (measures), not an 8 incher and the mid is a 7 incher, not a 6. I wonder if the "electronic suspension" (the first I've heard of such a notion in decades of sound system tinkering!) may be the series capacitor I mentioned - the woofer certainly sags back when you put a DC voltage on the speaker terminals!
    Also, I don't think my speakers would sustain "extreme SPL's" - although they'll play pretty loud in the house on a 40 wpc amplifier - but the woofers look quite flimsy with their high compliance foam surrounds.
    BTW, no stands, all the weight is in the box.
    Thanks, again.
    Cheers,
    Roger