Panasonic Thruster series

I'm sure someone will like this different use of Thrusters...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/murrentim/3568180589/sizes/l/in/set-72157618760876053/
3568180589_cec4baaa96_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/murrentim/3568181271/sizes/l/in/set-72157618760876053/
3568181271_188fe73f9c_b.jpg

Ok I know these are not the greatest out thier, but I am looking for a pair for my mom and I wan't to know the model #'s, I don't want to buy a pair YET, but they suposedly had 15's in them, now, mom doesn't know sh!t about speakers, so bear with me here. I would also like to see some pics if at all possible. Also, would that giant 15 inch woofer be a woofer or a passive radiator? How many drivers per box, ect.

Thanks, Wooferman93

Just because mom doesn't know much about sound, doesnt mean you should buy her cheap crap, remember she's the one that changed your poopy drawers when no one else would. She deserves some decent tunes, so don't cheap out on her. lol

Panasonic and the Thruster speakers, take me back 35 years to Ft. Polk, LA. Sold in the PX so everyones parents had them. We as kids rocked out with them.
Very good memories.

funny, I just saw a pair of these on CL the other day and I thought about this thread, and then here it is again :lmao:

cbottorff, brilliant use of a speaker cabinet.......gives me an idea on what to do with some junk speaker cabs I have laying around...sweet!!:thmbsp:

Panasonic Turbo Thrusters

As if the term "Thrusters" isn't a "tall" enough term when applied to speakers, now we have "Turbo Thrusters"?... Man oh man...

This "Turbo Thruster" configuration appears to be a 2 1/2" tweeter, a 12" woofer and a 6 1/2" passive radiator. I've been doing research on the Thruster line and have found that it appears there are Panasonic service manuals for the entire line of Thruster speakers. One model that I can't place yet is the model SB-2480. Perhaps this Turbo Thruster is the SB-2480. My Thruster research is still ongoing.

Here is a list of Panasonic Thruster service manuals that I've found on the Internet thus far:

Panasonic SB-30, SB-310, SB-510 (may not be Thruster type models)
Panasonic SB-170, SB-270, SB-300
Panasonic SB-400 (may not be Thruster type models)
Panasonic SB-550, SB-750 (may not be Thruster type models)
Panasonic SB-600, SB- 700, SB- 800, SB-950 (may not be Thruster type models)
Panasonic SB-1100
Panasonic SB-1600
Panasonic SB-1800
Panasonic SB-2480

This list is not complete. For instance, I have yet to locate the manual for model SB-180 Thruster that kfa888 posted in post #64. Judging by the number of Thrusters I see advertised for sale, Panasonic must have sold Thrusters by the boat loads.

I actualy have a 6" Thruster dual cone driver....found it while stopping to pick up a "Mint" Rocking Chair beside a dumpster....last year!! Sounds like crap! I use it to test half dead receivers and amps. I am always worried I might screw up good speakers...while testing some of these!

It looks like I had the SB-300's according to the description. It had dual 5 1/4" cone drivers and an 8" passive radiator. It came with my all in one Panasonic system.At age 13 I new it sucked :yes:

Thruster 6" Driver

Here's a picture of the 6" Thruster driver I still have...
EAS-16P24EP 8 Ohms Japan 152K
It was Twinned with a 6" Passive....I don't have the model # of the box.

Attachments

• t.jpg
    t.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 129
  • t1.jpg
    t1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 134
Never seen Turbo Thrusters. Wonder how they sound?

Panasonic must have sold quite a lot of them. I always run into them when I visited a thrift store.

In post #70 Teradacto58 said:

> Here's a picture of the 6" Thruster driver I still have...
> EAS-16P24EP 8 Ohms Japan 152K
> It was Twinned with a 6" Passive....I don't have the model # of the box.

Au contraire sir, that full range driver appears to be a labeled as 6 ohm impedance and not 8 ohms. Just another move by the manufacturers to gain more wattage from weak anemic amplifiers. I've seen drivers labeled as low as 2.7 ohms, mainly in cassette / CD portable radios.

Thanks for posting the pics. Every piece of information is helpful.

Has anyone thought about taking the basic idea of thrusters, and improving them? Put in some acoustic foam, thicker walls, and a crossover, and you could really have something...I think:D

OK....New Drivers, new crossover, new cabinet and new acoustic foam....

What is left of the original?

Panasonic Thruster model SB-800 with Panasonic RA-7700 Cassiever. 1979 ad.

1" soft dome tweeter, dual 8" inch drivers and a 12" passive radiator.

In post #47 33&athird said:

> Has anyone thought about taking the basic idea of thrusters, and improving them?
> Put in some acoustic foam, thicker walls, and a crossover, and you could really
> have something...I think

And in post #74 PioneerGuy75 said:

> OK....New Drivers, new crossover, new cabinet and new acoustic foam....
>
> What is left of the original?

Exactly, Matthew Polk has I should think. Setting the side to side cross phasing aside, wouldn't the Polk SDA-SRA 1.2TL represent the pinnacle of Panasonic "Truster" type design? Is it possible the Matthew Polk got some of his design ideas from Panasonic Thrusters?

16jq8oo.jpg

OK....New Drivers, new crossover, new cabinet and new acoustic foam....

What is left of the original?

Heh...good point:D, you can make the worst speaker in the world better with everything replaced.

Nice advert,cbottorff...man-that's something else. It seems like an alright idea, but from what i've heard, polk really did it better- then again, they probably researched it. Maybe they had a pair, gave them a listen then thought "how can we make this sound good?":D.

I never owned a pair, but my friend did.

Sure you did.... LOL!

This is the funniest thread I have ever read! I must admit though, my brother had a pair when I was like... 12... And I thought they were bad as hell!!!
Now that am grown I KNOW they really are BAD! AS HELL! LOL....

Has anyone thought about taking the basic idea of thrusters, and improving them? Put in some acoustic foam, thicker walls, and a crossover, and you could really have something...I think:D
I've always enjoyed trying to get the "cheap" stuff to perform better, so I'm glad someone asked. :D

If the enclosure didn't include any damping material, adding some on at least one long side and a portion of the rear panel directly behind the dual woofers/full range drivers*, should help eliminate a good chunk of boominess.

As far as an improved crossover, if *I* was going to build one: if there wasn't one already present, an inductor on the woofers (in the 2-way version) would help reduce intermodulation distortion, which is created when the shared output of the woofer and the tweeter - which happens in their crossover region - interfere with each other, a little bit like mixing vinegar and baking soda. :) FYI: using an inductor will create a 6dB per octave roll-off, the "gentle-ist" you can get with conventional components. Anyway....but if the woofers were designed carefully enough, their natural rolloff will act like a built-in crossover (usually called a "mechanical crossover") and an inductor isn't really needed. Many speakers from respectable manufacturers over the years have used, and still use, a 6dB/octave xover, though they might also include some extra components to reduce the driver's output to match the other drivers' output level or "shape" a driver's response to better fit the overall system's desired sonic personality, but it will still cause a 6dB roll-off.

A more sophisticated xover can create a 12dB/octave slope for the tweeter, which should increase its power handling capacity and lower its distortion at the same time.

Bracing the cabinet is a good idea, though I wouldn't overdo it because the volume taken up by the brace(s) in turn changes the volume of the enclosure and that directly affects the operating characteristics of the woofer+passive radiator system. Personally I would stick to just one front-to-back brace (between the front baffle and rear panel) consisting of a skinny wooden dowel, say around 1/2" in diameter.

* Note!! With a bass-reflex design - and a passive radiator-equipped speaker is included in that category - it is generally not advisable to cover every interior wall of the enclosure with damping material. Otherwise the port/PR system will not work as well as it should.

I've been researching the matching head units that came with Thrusters and have turned up some more pics.

Panasonic Thrusters SB-350 Speakers

29wy39.jpg

Panasonic Cassette Receiver SE-5508 10 Watts RMS with SB-350 Thrusters

2hdruwj.jpg

Panasonic Cassette Receiver RA-7700 25 Watts RMS with SB-800 Thrusters

zxjwk0.jpg

Panasonic Cassette Receiver RA-6700 25.0 Watts RMS with SB-1800 Thrusters

17uvrc.jpg

I've always enjoyed trying to get the "cheap" stuff to perform better, so I'm glad someone asked. :D

Oh man, that's a great write-up. Didn't think much of the acoustic foam stuff blocking the bass-reflex's "abilites". When I find a thrift pair, I'll have to try what you describe and see what happens:D

I've been researching the matching head units that came with Thrusters and have turned up some more pics.

Panasonic Cassette Receiver SE-5508 10 Watts RMS with SB-350 Thrusters
2hdruwj.jpg

Dude, no freakin' way. Just made my day, that the exact unit my mom has- i've never seen any refrence to it anywhere, or any mention. Unbelivable, really fantastic. That thing is still in the basement, I fixed the turntable, and the cassette player is off, but other than that, it's perfect.

Believe it or not, even in the basement, that receiver can pull in FM like no-ones buisness, even without the AFC off:yes:. Cool unit too, i'll have to take a picture inside next time i'm in there (have to reconnect the turntable).

Back
Top Bottom