PC or Mac?

If I were buying a new computer, I would see if it's user upgradable. Many manufacturers are hard wiring RAM and hard drives on the motherboard these days.

I own a 2014 MBP 15". I currently have it set to dual boot Yosemite OS X and Windows 10. Windows operates just as it would on any native laptop and I have had no problems installing and running 3-d modeling software and system intensive games on it. I absolutely love this computer. The retina screen is gorgeous, it's very portable, it has plenty of power, and it has great battery life. Having previously owned a windows laptop and now working with both operating systems here are my thoughts.

Mac
Pros: Portability, battery life, stable OS that requires less hassle, ability to dual boot.

Cons: It will take you a little effort to adjust if you've only used windows. A quick google search has always served me well and I've found a large majority of the different actions are the same degree of difficulty to do as it would take in windows, or easier. Cost is also high.

Windows
Pros: Familiarity, cost (the surface book is an exception), software compatibility

Cons: sometimes finicky OS.

Summary: I understand that Macs are more expensive and windows equivalents can be had for slightly less. However, if you are willing to pay a little more, the stability and versatility of Macs are definitely worth looking at. Otherwise, pick out a nice windows laptop and enjoy. I would highly suggest getting something with solid state as it will significantly increase the boot up speed, no matter the OS. I go from completely off to surfing the net in 7 seconds. If you do need to extra space, look at getting an external drive or even maybe an sd card that would stay in your computer for music (they make up to 500gb sd cards).

A Mac is a PC. The difference is Macs are more integrated (exactly the same way laptops are) than their regular counterparts. In a Mac you are paying premium for power efficient, performance reduced variations of standard hardware.

BS. Why would anyone care about power efficiency in a desktop computer?

The whole point of running OS X (BSD) is it is a stable OS. Why would I want Windows underpinning a UNIX variant?

Mac OS X or Linux any day.

After 33 years of using/fixing/patching/fighting/rebooting/replacing/cursing DOS and Windows on cheaper hardware, a 15" MacBook Pro with the Retina display is like lounging by the pool...

I switched to an iMac desktop in 2009 and doubt I'll ever go back. Yes they cost more, aren't as universal and aren't as well supported by Intuit's Quicken (those bastards). They provide only as much integration into the Mac "environment" as I wish and run just about anything else. Most of all I have spent a small fraction of the time in the last 7 years as the previous logging hours as the family IT guy. I'm keeping my 2009 Macbook Pro alive and kicking as long as I can as it has a truly excellent sound card and DACs that outputs analog as well as optical 24/96. Not sure how that's done with the same 3.5 mm jack, but it seems like a cool trick. So it's my music server and my CD transport. I've replaced the battery once and recently upgraded the HHD to 1 TB, doubled the RAM and last week replaced the touchpad. Probably have $200 into repairs and upgrades. I've never had a 7 year old PC worth fixing/upgrading because I've never had a 7 year old PC (Compaq, HP, Gateway, or Sony). I use PC's at work and going back and forth is effortless.

Last edited:
That's a very parochial attitude; in this economy every penny counts. You missed my point however - hardware wise you are paying more for less in a Mac.

In this economy? Is this the same economy where people spend $5 for a crapacino at Starbucks? If every penny counts, maybe you should not be owning a Mac.

No I read that and dismissed it. I do not consider I am getting less.

It is Linux not Unix - please get it right. And actually, it is actually off of NeXT OS which is a variant mix between Linux and Unix. So, it is Unix? Doesn't mean a whole lot, since you never see it. Also, that means, if the kernel is not updated quickly, then there are holes you do not see. Apple is not known for quickly updating their OS for major bugs. A couple of years ago it took 6 months for Apple to release a patch that was done in a day on the MS OS. And they said at that time there were 25K Apple PC's that were acting as a bot net for hackers.

OS X has a Mach kernel and bits of BSD. So it is a bit of both.

Linux, UNIX (and it is UNIX, not Unix, get it right :D) Both are correct. UNIX is just a trademark. If any Linux distri wants to pay a fee, they can call their OS, UNIX.

On separate topic my son needs ew computer. Not working so needs cheap. Local CL guy has 2009 white MacBook that hasn't been used in long time and lost charger. He says it works fine. $75.

Guy seems like a d#$@ so no go. I'm thinking of looking at some of the vendors selling older refurb macbooks. Any recommendations? Apple doesn't have any.

I'd pass on the early white 2009 MacBook Pro in favor of the late 2009 aluminum unibody and newer.

Guy seems like a d#$@ so no go. I'm thinking of looking at some of the vendors selling older refurb macbooks. Any recommendations? Apple doesn't have any.

If there's a Microcenter near you, they sometimes have older used Macs

Back
Top Bottom