pc to pre-amp question

HankMoody

For two channel music only playback, I am currently using a pc with a Real-Tek HD sound chipset running to my pre-amp via Toslink, ---> digital out of the pc to digital in on my pre-amp. Am I correct in assuming that my pre amp's dac is responsible for the output quality? In other words, would I benefit from running a pc with a much better sound card to the analog inputs on my pre-amp and using the better sound card as the dac? My Pre amp is a McIntosh MX132 and is several years old but I can't imagine the dac in it is a poor quality one. I listen to FLAC and am somewhat pleased with the current set-up, but you know I am always looking for better.

Thanks

You've got a nice set up. You are correct that the digital-> Analog conversion goes on in the Mac.

If you believe in the 80/20 rule, that you can get to 80% of the optimal solution with 20% of the resources, then you're well on your way.

If, however, you'll want to take it further, consider the improvements from the transport system - the computer and its digital processing device - the RealTek system. You can do this by eliminating the RealTek system and going to a USB or Firewire based device.

Remember, though, you'll be in that last 20% of your fund$ for not that much more improvement. Given that, look downstream to more revealing speakers and amps behind the Mac.

Cheers,

David

Thank you for the info on the DAC processing. I guess my question is using a different, much better sound card, the data going to the McIntosh DAC to be converted to analog will sound superior even though it's still one's and zero's? At the risk of sounding like an idiot, I am running a 10 thousand dollar sound system on a 400 dollar net top pc and I think I may be missing out on some better quality output. The PC is capable of 24 bit/ 48000Hz which plays back HDtracks FLAC quite nicely. I have become spoiled by the ease of use a pc provides when playing back FLAC. I just don't know if a sound card upgrade would be worth the effort when the one I am using now sounds pretty darn good already.

Thanks.

I'm also wondering about the settings on your PC. I suspect your Real-tek is capable of outputting 24-192. If you're running Windows you might check to see that you playback pathway is optimized: bypassing Windows sound system using playback software that allows for it.

Back
Top Bottom