Percentage of income spent on McIntosh gear

What percentage of your early income have you spent on McIntosh gear/audio system

• 1-15%

Votes: 33 68.8%
  • 15-25%

Votes: 7 14.6%
  • 25-35%

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 35-50%

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Over 50%

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters

PHC1

Addicted Member
Just curious what percentage of your yearly income you guys have spent on McIntosh gear/audio system. They say a rule of thumb is 1/3 of your gross annual income for buying a car. Obviously audio gear falls into a hobby category and as such there probably is no rule of thumb for it. Taking your whole system into account including speakers, where do you fit in the poll?
Masterlu will skew this whole thing of course!

Over the last 3 years I would have to vote for 25-35%. :sigh: I can't keep this up much longer. I should be about done, my plans for the next 3 years would be more like 10%.

Victor

The good part about this is your buying McIntosh and your buying it for the next 30 years... Unlike a car which becomes junk after so many years, the system you buy will bring you many years of daily enjoyment. There, I have made myself feel much better.....

PHC1 said:
The good part about this is your buying McIntosh and your buying it for the next 30 years... Unlike a car which becomes junk after so many years, the system you buy will bring you many years of daily enjoyment. There, I have made myself feel much better.....

De'nial, it's not just a river in Africa! :yes:

PHC1 said:
That is what I keep telling myself but I already got rid of my first McIntosh purchase a C2200. I upgraded to a C1000, I thought the C2200 would be the last preamp I would ever buy, now I don't know what to think. :)

Victor

Would that be what percentage of an average single year's income is my entire system (my total system cost 30% of my average annual income) OR what percentage per year of my average annual income do I spend on equipment (I spend 15% of my income in an given year on equipment)? Also, are we talking about just our McIntosh stuff or all of our A/V equipment (how about all of our McIntosh plus everything that our Mc is connected to?) Thanks for the clarification!

JR

Your whole audio system expressed as a percentage of your yearly gross income. I am curious how it compares with other things for other people. I asked my wife if a C1000 at $17k sounds like too much all at once and she just looked at me funny. Sheesh, just asking... :D

I've bought all used in fine shape Mac gear before the prices really started to climb, MA 230, MX110, MR67. I'm thinking of a new C220 or wait untill some used units hit the market. Current replacement cost for my primary set up at least 5 K, my whole collection of various tube gear - a lot.

PHC1 said:
Your whole audio system expressed as a percentage of your yearly gross income. I am curious how it compares with other things for other people. I asked my wife if a C1000 at $17k sounds like too much all at once and she just looked at me funny. Sheesh, just asking... :D
Oops, I did it wrong. If you figure my entire system (purchased over years) added up and compaired to a single year gross income I'm WELL over 50%. If you can change my vote to over 50% go ahead.

Victor

Is there a way to add a less than 1% to the survey?

Don't think that I don't like their gear it's just that I don't run across much of it.

wjahn5 said:
Is there a way to add a less than 1% to the survey?

Don't think that I don't like their gear it's just that I don't run across much of it.

Hey Neighbor, Come on Over! :thmbsp:

Thanks, just fixed the typo in the post, not sure how to fix it in the poll. It should say "yearly". Should have paid more attention in those ESL classes. :smoke:

The company I worked for got sold, after 10 years with the company I was supposed to get three weeks vacation. they said I worked for them for 9 years and 364 days at the time of the sale and I had taken five days off already, so the paid me five days vacation pay, that equaled a MC2125.

I am sure somewhere out there is a C26, C28 or some other Mc model that has been owned by 10 or 20 people over the years and is still giving someone good service. In our throw away society it seems like very few products give a lifetime of pleasure.
How many cheap stereos will you go through in life where one McIntosh would have been less money and still have worth?

Thanks,
Ron-C

Ron-C, you nailed it! Exactly what I was thinking. The poll looks like we are "tightwads", err, "conservative" so far. :D

Though not a Mac, my first stereo was a Fisher 400 receiver while all my friends were buying new 80's stuff. Mine sounded better, cost less and I still have it and use it, (refurbished) their gear all gone.

Back
Top Bottom