Phase Linear (Andromeda) Phase III speakers -familiar with these?

Hello all andromeda peeps! I have the earlier 5 up firing tweeter design. I am interested in trying out a front firing tweeter. Two questions: driver recommendations, and are crossover modifications necessary? Thanks for any input.

Nice to hear from another Andromeda owner. Hope you're able to enjoy those, please pass along any pictures. I was just looking at my Andromedas which are in a basement room - right now I am driving them with a Carver M500T amplifier. I'm thinking of trying a Concept 11.0 receiver with them, just to give the Concept some playing time.

I don't have input for mods except to tread carefully with mods because these things are treasures. Read through this thread or others here if you haven't already - I think I recall reading another PNW AK'r discuss - here - how he did a similar update with help from Bob Carver himself a few years back when Bob was helping out with an audio repair shop in the area. Also, check out the Carver Audio forums - there are Andromeda fans there.

These were Bob Carvers first speakers. He told me it took 1-2 years to R&D and midway through the production there was a name dispute so he changed the name to Phase III. I power my panels with a Phase Linear 400 amp and the sub with a Bedini BA801 amp. Pre amp. is a Carver C4000 and the system sounds great. I took a pair up to Wa. and met with Bob at Ritas Vintage Audio Repair. We took off the forward firing tweet and replaced it with one of Bobs CRM ribbon tweets. Very nice sound with crystal highs, well rounded mids and the sub will shake the floor with no distortion.
How they compare to the Amazings, They are kinda 2 dif. animals. It's like analog vs. digital.(to my ears anyway). Can you audition the speakers before you buy???? Do you have the room for them??? They need a bit more room around the panels than the Amazings do due to the upward firing tweets and the backward firing mid's. These speakers do like power(8 drivers/panel) so anything over 150wpc should be ok, if you can give them 350wpc( Phase Linear 700) I'm sure that they will love it. If you want me to check the manual and see what the min. wpc is I would be happy to.
Anyway, just my 2 cents.
I have owned an Andromeda III speaker system since new. I love them and never hope I have to replace them. The speakers are very power hungry. I tried powering them with 100 wpc initially and that did not work at all. They require high power even when listening at low to moderate volume levels. I power mine through a Phase Linear 700 power amp and Phase Linear 4000 preamp. When these were still in production, I spoke with one of the Phase Linear engineers. He told me Bob Carver wanted the speakers rated at 6 ohms, but in reality they are a 4 ohm system. I hope this helps someone.

Dear all, my parents purchased a complete Phase Linear music installation in the 70's. The last decades it has been in storage in a garage but recently i decided to use it again. The speaker panels have suffered some damaged though, in particular the 2" cone tweeters, which seem to be made of plastic. Would you know if these can be ordered somewhere? Thank you. Mark

Dear all, my parents purchased a complete Phase Linear music installation in the 70's. The last decades it has been in storage in a garage but recently i decided to use it again. The speaker panels have suffered some damaged though, in particular the 2" cone tweeters, which seem to be made of plastic. Would you know if these can be ordered somewhere? Thank you. Mark
Photos, please. Those will give us a better idea as to what damage you're working with. Also +1 on joining bartertown.

He is referring to the 4 tweeters with plastic diffuser cones. They are very brittle. Parts are available you just need to know where to find them.

see below some pictures. as you can see the material of the two 4" midrange drivers, shaped in a circle, is also damaged (basically the material that allows movement). Do you know if this can be / should be replaced?

That tweeter is fubar. Peerless mids needs to be refoamed. Sub woofers look fine to me. BARTERTOWN MY FRIEND!!

Hi all, I also have 2 B&W DM-6 loudspeakers. Does anyone have an opinion on which speakers are the best? This B&W set or the Phase Linear set above? Or should I hook up all 4 to the Phase Linear Amp? thank you.

Hi all, I also have 2 B&W DM-6 loudspeakers. Does anyone have an opinion on which speakers are the best? This B&W set or the Phase Linear set above? Or should I hook up all 4 to the Phase Linear Amp? thank you.
Mark, PM me and I will try to help you. I know it has been 7 months since your last post here hopefully you have an e mail alert set up. Brother, do not hook all four speakers up to that PL 400 Amp. In fact, I would not plug in let alone hook any of that equipment up without checking a few things first...Like I said, if I can help let me know.

PL series has speaker protection. No DC hitting speakers with these amps. Plug in and enjoy. However check ohm rating on B&W as these amps dont like hard loads...

Keen eye friend. That looks like the whole shooting match. I think the sub is right up front. That would be awesome is he had the whole set. Did you notice the Ampzilla up above on that shelf system ? That is one bad mother. And no, those would not pass WAF but get them and put em in the garage if you have to !!

Resurrecting this ancient thread to give followers a 'heads-up' that I'll be posting my complete Phase III setup in the classifieds section. It's in great working and cosmetic condition, and is complete with sub/control unit.

I purchased it from original owner about a decade ago, and have kept in a spare smoke/pet-free room. I pull it out occasionally, and hook up to Citation 7.1 in bridged mode...never fails to amaze me how Mr. Carver was so far ahead of the game.

Selling off a bunch of gear I've collected over the years. PM me if interested in the meantime.

-marcel

Last edited:
I Have a set but no bass control unit and would
be interested in it alone if that possibility exist.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom