Philips 312...decent intro turntable?

Do any of you think that the Philips is enough of a table to later put, lets say, a Sumiko Blue Point on?

I think the arm on the Philips 212 ( and , I'm assuming the 312 uses the same arm ) is probably best paired with a good 'budget' high compliance moving magnet in the sub £70 category and simply enjoy the turntable for what it is. The flimsy construction of the arm (especially its vertical bearing assembly and the fairly resonant headshell with troublesome contacts) will be the main limiting factor in terms of getting the best from a more expensive cartridge.
However, if you can ensure that alignment is spot on with a good budget cartridge, the turntable does sound rather decent as a complete package. The fairly decent suspension and good speed consistency does work to mitigate some of the arm's inherent weaknesses as long as you keep the price ( and quality) of the cartridge in perspective.
Also , do not rely on the antiskate dial as its spring tension is quite badly calibrated and will exert a considerable sideways force once you stray much above 1.0gm on the dial (i.e very inaccurate)..
I would just add a tiny bit of sideways force at a time away from the zero setting (probably less than 1.0gm on the dial) and ensure visually that the stylus cantilever stays vertical across an entire (rotating) record side once down force is applied. The down force scale is fiddly but reasonably accurate according to my sfg-2.

if i am not mistaken, the bearings in the 312 are PLASTIC or maybe nylon (a plastic) and they aren't very good. years ago, i asked my friend to record an opent reel tape of an album; when i listened to it i could hear the bearings of the arm and asked him which tt he used. when he replied it was the 312, i understood right away.

the best cart you should put on it is an at95e. it is a GOOD cart but affordable enough to put on such a low level table. as for the antiskating, i would just adjust it until it doesn't go to the center on blank vinyl.

It seems that someone very brave over at vinyl engine has tackled my main gripe with the vertical bearings of the Philips 212 tonearm... and an elegant solution it is too !
http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=86313
According to the same poster in another thread , It seems that the horizontal bearing assembly use some kind of nylon , low friction insert to house the metal tonearm shaft , and apparently , having tried a closer toleranced metal bushing over the nylon(?) original , the original didn't fair too badly in terms of lateral friction. I.e. it perhaps wasn't worth the hassle to modify it.
linky:

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=87342&start=15

The vertical pivot upgrade in the first link is one I would definitely try if I had the patience and skills as I think any improvement in reducing the generally poor side to side slop of the original at this critical point of the tonearm would probably help the tonearm to accommodate a better quality cartridge without being too much of a liability to the cartridge's potential.
This said with the caveat that the cartridge remains a high compliance design. Personally , I don't think the effective mass of the Philips arm would be too happy with anything that needed more than about 1.8gm downforce to sound balanced.
In many ways it reminds me of the tonearm fitted to my very first turntable , a Dual cs-505.mkII Deluxe... with both having a similar performance ceiling given the low mass arm..although I think the construction of the Philip elsewhere in the plinth , platter , pretty zany electronic circuits underneath does eclipse the Dual in sheer complexity if nothing else.
If anyone could once day graft a well made , lightweight tonearm like a mission 774 or early 80s ADC arm on to a Philips Ga 212 , balance it out ,iron out any niggles in the suspension and auto stop ... you would have a beast of a turntable with pretty much all the convenience and speed stability of a good direct drive with very few of the rumble and plinth resonance disadvantages.
The tacho circuit for speed stability on the 212 is actually remarkably stable , and the pitch controls will iron out any mild fluctuations between playing sessions.
The suspension , though basic is quite effective at filtering out any mild knocks to the plinth..and the main platter bearing probably wouldn't embarrass itself if you add a little damping to the underside of the platter and a very thin felt mat on top.
There is hidden potential in this little retro thing... and what could possibly look cooler than those 3 green eyes ?? :)

Last edited:
Little bump here from a new member.

I recently purchased this model from eBay. Works fine, but needs a little TLC. I managed to clean it up pretty well, but I'm curious about the metal surface. It looks like aluminum, but I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what type of metal it is made out of, and how I might clean and polish it without damaging the finish? I took an alcohol pad and used it to remove some sticky film in the lower right hand corner. Got it off, but some spots developed where I had used the alcohol. Like I had removed some of the finish. Does anyone recommend Peek multipurpose metal polish? I was thinking of purchasing a tube and trying it on a corner, but I thought it would be wise to inquire here first.

The top is a thin stamped metal cover that's glued on to the inner black metal top. I think that inner piece is metal too - it's been a few years since I did anything as crazy as remove the top metal. But I did. It bends easily, which ruins it. It's a lacquer finish of some sort over the polished steel. A quick drying alcohol or simple cleaner like Fantasik should be enough. Avoid soft scrub or any light abrasive. Naphtha would work fine. Avoid any industrial benzene based spray. It will eat the finish and the logos. Not good for you either. Sadly that's the best stuff for belt goo.

Hi new member here as well.

I recently bought a 312 last night from CL. However I'm having some trouble with the damper/rock/cue drop switch. When I first start the table up and get ready to drop the needle I have to almost smack the switch down with some force to have it click down. Pressing hard down won't do the trick, I really have to give it a hard quick push down for it to stick down. Put once it's been put down, it comes back up and back down with ease... simple presses.

Anyone had this problem before?

Thanks

Not to nit-pick, but please don't refer to vinyl records as "vinyls". You just come across as a clueless newbie when you say that, as it is a mistake made mostly by kids too young to have been around when records/LPs were mainstream, so they don't know the correct usage. Vinyl is the material that the records are made from, not the individual disc(s). You may refer to "vinyl" as a generic (uncountable) term, as in, "I'm into vinyl," or "vinyl spinning." You may use it as an adjective, as in "vinyl records" or "vinyl pressings". But when referring to the individual black vinyl disks with grooves pressed into them, please say "records", "LPs" or even "discs" --or if you wish to use a slang nickname, "licorice pizza(s)" (once the name of a record store chain) --but never "vinyls". You go to the store an buy a record; you may even buy "some vinyl", but you do NOT buy "a vinyl" or "some vinyls"! :nono:

(I didn't write that to criticize, but just to help. Please take it that way. :D)

I know it's been years since this was written, but I had to comment on the elitist BS:bs:. English is a living language, and if younger people want to call record albums "vinyls" then go right ahead. Any older person I met with this attitude would make me want to put my "kicks" (shoes for you geriatrics) right up their (insert your favorite "correct usage as assigned by old person" term).

Records, LP's, platters, disco biscuits, wax flapjacks, tune bunnies, one-eyed spinners, groove hats, MP1's, AND :yes: VINYLS. Now spin that tune-tainer and PARTY ON YOUTH OF THE WORLD!! :banana::beerchug::rockon::jump::rflmao::music:

BTW I'm 55, just not stuck in '55. So I grew up with vinyls.

(I didn't write that to criticize Arkay(ic), but just to help. Please take it that way. :D)

Last edited:
AND :yes: VINYLS

But AA calls it licorice pizza. Nothing wrong with the words you use. Most but those no longer learning or wanting to will accept new terms whether they like them or not. No reason to get all bent because a crew one does not interact with regularly using a term one doesn't like and refuses to accept. Just excess stress for no reason.

Nothing like asking a question and having someone wearing a chicken inspector button telling you the correct term for your "hot rod" is "horseless carriage"!

Personally I like "OGVs". (Original Gangsta Vinyls)

They were records when they were made, they’re records still today. This thread is 17 years old. Ha ha. But I just got a nice clean 312 at a junk shop for $25. It does need a power switch and a new set of output cables. (As if I needed another project). But I’m encouraged to read all the positive remarks about these.

Back
Top Bottom