Philips 977 questions...

janikphoto

Lunatic Member
I found this table in good condition, but it's missing the headshell. I didn't look too close, thinking it was pretty standard. Well, it's not. I'm guessing it's a proprietary shell? This will be my first Philips. I've read good things about them for years. Where does the 977 fall in their lineup? It seems pretty fancy, but eBay prices suggest it isn't totl... maybe more like their middle level table?

Interesting. So, the current value doesn't really represent its TOTL status. But, Philips tables have always been undervalued. Not wanting to get into value discussions, as this isn't a Dollars & Sense thread, so... headshell looks like it'll be a bear to find. I wonder if many Philips tables shared the same shell? I'll go hunt on the bay for a while and see what turns up.

Interesting. So, the current value doesn't really represent its TOTL status. But, Philips tables have always been undervalued. Not wanting to get into value discussions, as this isn't a Dollars & Sense thread, so... headshell looks like it'll be a bear to find. I wonder if many Philips tables shared the same shell? I'll go hunt on the bay for a while and see what turns up.

It will definitely be harder than say Dual headshells. But, they do pop on ebay once and awhile. Like the GA series, I am sure that particular headshell was used in other Philip tables of the same era. I know I would love to have another chance in having a working Philips GA-212 and sadly that's the only Philips I've ever owned and it was DOA.

Right headshell, but...

man, that's bit high$$$$. I have a Philips 877 which is one step below yours with a slightly different type of speed control but with the same headshell. I've been looking for a spare one so welcome to the club:tears:.

Phil

It used to be the best Philips had, early 80's?
You can find more info at http://www.mfbfreaks.com
They know it all. The also can help you to find the right shell.
Only thing, it's a Dutch site but they do speak English.

Well, the bay has one. I'll pick that up, and then I'll get to audition this interesting piece of gear! It's got all sorts of cool displays and gadgets, like sitting inside KITT from the TV show Knight Rider.

jph: Be aware that there were two headshell versions - the one with round holes and the one with long slots. The former was primarily intended for using Philips' own Super MII (GP4xxII) carts, but will also work for a lot of other carts with a horizontal distance of ca. 10 mm between needle tip and the centre of the screw holes.

Well, and afaik Tonar still offers at least the blister-packed version of the long-slot variant (Tonar part number for that used to be 3092), but over here that already used to be roundabout 40 Euro several years ago, when quite a few NOS carts, needles and phono accessories still were quite a bit cheaper than now.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I'm not sure what to post right now that won't involve a dozen very impolite words that will get me a temporary ban, so I'm just going to say this... I sent the eBay link to my partner and she was working. She wasn't able to get to it for an hour. She texted fifteen minutes ago to say it wasn't available anymore. It was the only one I saw listed. I want to scream, as now I've got another table going into the parts pile for now. This really, really sucks. Really.

That seller in Fla, what is he doing with the wires for the two shells he sold? both are nude and one needs wires, too.

There's a complete AF-777 on my local craigslist for $45. It looks like they use the same headshell, maybe someone can confirm this.

Grrrrr....

I too missed the spare headshell on E-bay. I found a 777( I have an 877) that didn't work on E-bay but had all parts including a headshell with a cartride of unknown lineage for $35.00. Now it's gone:tears:.
Guess I'll just have to keep looking for a spare. You snooze, you loose..:boring:

I have the original headshell from my 877 still. I was going to salvage the 877's arm for another project, but....

Back
Top Bottom