Philips 977 questions...

Not much luck... another headshell hasn't popped up on the bay. Guess this table won't be put into service for a while.

I forgot to check back in this thread. Do you want me to see if the Phillips is still available in my area?

Edit: PM me if still interested. It's still listed on CL.

Last edited:

Well, This table is going into storage. I finally got around to installing it in a system, and not only does it have a tick from the record size button hitting on something under the platter, but the table randomly stops dead while playing, like someone pressed the stop button.

jph: Be aware that there were two headshell versions - the one with round holes and the one with long slots. The former was primarily intended for using Philips' own Super MII (GP4xxII) carts, but will also work for a lot of other carts with a horizontal distance of ca. 10 mm between needle tip and the centre of the screw holes.

Well, and afaik Tonar still offers at least the blister-packed version of the long-slot variant (Tonar part number for that used to be 3092), but over here that already used to be roundabout 40 Euro several years ago, when quite a few NOS carts, needles and phono accessories still were quite a bit cheaper than now.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Good morning Manfred (or Guten Morgen, since I'm from Aachen :)). I'm very sorry for reviving such an old thread but there are not many forums where you can discuss in-depth about the AF-series. I've got a 877 and I'm looking for the universal headshell with the long slots. I seem to have found several websites where I can get them but are still in contact if they are really in stock. Now I'd like your help (if you're willing to^^) with two scenarios:

Scenario 1: I'm stuck with the standard headshell and want to buy a new cartridge. You said that other cards with a horizontal distance of ca. 10 mm will also work. Can you tell me any specific models that will work? Since you can't really adjust anything on the tone arm (up / down) that cartridge would have to be exactly the same size as the GP 4xx.

Scenario 2: I can get the headshell with the long slots: Which cartridges can I buy then? I heard from someone that he uses the Ortofon 2M Red. What about the AT95e (not quality but build-wise) or the Ortofon OM10 (looks pretty big in height to me)?

Of course I could also just buy a new needle for the GP 401, but I like different options :).

Thanks in advance,
Alex

Hi Alex!

ad 1.) I'm pretty sure the Ortofon OMs/SuperOMs would work. Regarding other options, I'd first have to have a look at the original headshell for possible obstacles.

And no worries, minor cartridge height deviations for one thing don't have such a big impact on SRA/VTA and then can usually be easily compensated for via tracking force, at least if the cart would be a tad less tall than the original Philips SuperMII family models (in the other direction it's a bit more problematic, 'cause one would have to decrease the tracking force a bit (most likely between 0.1 and 0.3 g) in that case - so at least in combination with carts/needles that already have a rather limited tracking ability to begin with, that would be not so desirable...).

ad 2.) I'd suggest to consider at least an OM(B)20 or SuperOM20 or 520(II)/VM Red or an AT120E(b) or even better an AT440MLb - or, if you don't want to spend that much, maybe an AT100E...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Hi Alex!

ad 1.) I'm pretty sure the Ortofon OMs/SuperOMs would work. Regarding other options, I'd first have to have a look at the original headshell for possible obstacles.

And no worries, minor cartridge height deviations for one thing don't have such a big impact on SRA/VTA and then can usually be easily compensated for via tracking force, at least if the cart would be a tad less tall than the original Philips SuperMII family models (in the other direction it's a bit more problematic, 'cause one would have to decrease the tracking force a bit (most likely between 0.1 and 0.3 g) in that case - so at least in combination with carts/needles that already have a rather limited tracking ability to begin with, that would be not so desirable...).

ad 2.) I'd suggest to consider at least an OM(B)20 or SuperOM20 or 520(II)/VM Red or an AT120E(b) or even better an AT440MLb - or, if you don't want to spend that much, maybe an AT100E...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
Hello Manfred. Thanks for your fantastic response.
Now I'm a pretty noob when it comes to azimuth and so on. When using the standard headshell with a Ortofon OM there's no need to change the position of the needle (well, not even possible on that turntable)?
Another question before buying the headshell with the long slots: Why can't I use AT120E, SuperOM20 etc. with the standard headshell? On the other hand, you said that I can use the Ortofon with the standard headshell. I'm a bit confused now :).
Have a lovely evening,
Alex

Alex: Well, I can't exclude that some or even all of the carts I've mentioned under "ad 2.)" might be usable with the standard headshell, too. I just haven't measured, nor tried these in combination with the standard headshell (yet), as I never had the need to...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Btw, you wouldn't happen to know a source for Nobis Printen in Munich, would you?

Alex: Well, I can't exclude that some or even all of the carts I've mentioned under "ad 2.)" might be usable with the standard headshell, too. I just haven't measured, nor tried these in combination with the standard headshell (yet), as I never had the need to...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: Btw, you wouldn't happen to know a source for Nobis Printen in Munich, would you?
Good morning. I just found something in the German Hifi-Forum regarding the standard headshell (without the long slots):

"Man hört des öfteren, das die Ortofon-Tonabnehmer problemlos in das einfache Philips Headshell passen würden. Das stimmt nach meinen Erfahrungen absolut nicht! Ohne Modifikation oder Langloch-Headshell läuft der Tonabnehmer in keinem Punkt parallel zu Plattenrille, was sich in problemlos hörbaren Verzerrungen bemerkbar macht.
Mit etwas Geschick, ruhiger Hand und einer kleinen flachen Feile kann man aber die einfachen Löcher des Headshells bis zur vorderen "Chrom"-Kante verlängern, dann passt alles perfekt und man wird belohnt mit einem wirklich guten Klang."

Translation: It is often heard that the Ortofon cartriges would easily fit into the simple Philips headshell. That is absolutely not true according to my experiences! Without modification or long-hole headshell, the cartrige does not run parallel to plate grooves at any point, which can be noticed in easily audible distortions. With a bit of skill, a quiet hand and a small flat file, you can extend the headshell's simple holes to the front "chrome" edge, then everything fits perfectly and you are rewarded with a really good sound.

That's a different opinion, but probably it is safer to just buy the headshell with the long slots. Do you think the Ortofon 2M Red should fit then?

Actually I have no idea if you can get Nobis Printen in Munich. But if you're willing to pay for the Printen and shipping costs, I'd be happy to send you some. I know that would take some trust from a stranger, but I would send you my address, phone number, Ebay profile or even my passport :).

Alex: I'd doubt that statement, but I'd have to measure and compare again to make sure... And the 2M Red would be not such a great choice, imo - both in terms of quality level and compliance.

And regarding the Printen: Silly me to not have checked before - Nobis has a web-shop, too. So unless you'd tell me that they charge significantly more there than in their local shops, I guess ordering there would be less cumbersome...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Alex: I'd doubt that statement, but I'd have to measure and compare again to make sure... And the 2M Red would be not such a great choice, imo - both in terms of quality level and compliance.

And regarding the Printen: Silly me to not have checked before - Nobis has a web-shop, too. So unless you'd tell me that they charge significantly more there than in their local shops, I guess ordering there would be less cumbersome...

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
I don't want you to do the whole work. I've got a ruler here myself :). I just need to know what and where to measure and how I will know which cartridge fits there. I guess with the long slots it would be far easier and I would be on the safer side? But that's also more than 40 € so I welcome every cartridge which fits into the standard headshell with open arms.

The prices for the Printen look fine to me, should be the same as in store.
Have a nice evening,
Alex

Back
Top Bottom