Phono Stage Preamp for Dynaco ST-416

Hippy Pants

Hey folks, I'm looking for some thoughts and suggestions on my setup and a direction to go in. I picked up the beast that is the Dynaco ST-416 a couple years ago now and started putting together a system for listening to vinyl, primarily. Over the last couple years I have done a lot of reading, listening, and playing with some different gear, and I'm looking to add a new component.

I'm currently using an Audio-Technica AT-LP120-USB as my turntable with the stock AT95E MM cartridge. I have yet to use a dedicated phono preamp and have just used the built-in one in the Audio-Technica. This is where I am looking for opinions and suggestions. I have been fairly happy with the sound quality of this setup, but I have not had the chance to try anything different. Where I really notice this lacking is in the output volume, or lack thereof, using this preamp. From what I read, I likely will notice differences in sound with a different preamp. I also have a CD changer connected and it is significantly louder while retaining great sound, than the turntable. I've got a set of Dynaco A-25s and a pair of Paradigm 7SE mk II.

I've been looking at both tube and SS preamps and like the idea of a tube sound being added. I'm a guitar player and love my old tube amps. As of now I'm looking into some Yaqin tube preamps such as the MS-23B, and some DIY options such as the Muffsy. I was looking in the sub-$300CAD area. I have, however, just found a Dynaco PAS3 somewhat close to me and while it's a bunch more expensive, I really like the idea of it. I currently have the turntable, a cd changer, and an aux cord running into a junky little switch box that I'm sure degrades the signal, as well as a computer connected with another switch box. With the PAS3 I'm thinking I could have everything run and controlled through just the one preamp and that would clean things up.

Any thoughts on these ideas, or other directions to go in?

Thanks for reading and best regards,

Jason

I guess I should maybe add the types of music I listen to. The main things we listen to, and the sound that I would like to prioritize, would be 60s and 70s psychedelic rock. A lot of Grateful Dead and Pink Floyd, psychedelic jazz, and whatnot! A bit of everything gets played through the system including all forms of electronic, hip hop, metal, punk, etc, but those are more secondary.

The PAT-5 was made to go with it.
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll keep an eye out for a PAT-5. Right now I'm seeing them in the 300-500 USD range on Ebay. It looks like there's a PAT-4 for $100 CAD in a city I'll be visiting in a month or so, although the things I've read say the Pat-4 wasn't really good and the PAT-5 a bit better but still nothing special. Thoughts? For $100 CAD would the PAT-4 be a decent upgrade over the built-in preamp of my AT-LP120? It looks like the gain is 54dB which is a bunch more than the 36dB of the built-in. It also has the multiple inputs that would clean up my whole system and eliminate a couple cheap switch boxes I have in it.

I've also just been reading about pairing a PAS with the 416 and it sounds like some kind of modifications would have to be done to the PAS to work impedance-wise. Can anyone elaborate on this? The PAS doesn't like low impedance loads, from what I understand. Can anyone tell me the impedance of the 416?

Best regards,

Jason

Cool, thanks. I think I'll become a subscriber and start checking the b/s/t on this forum for a PAT 5. While I'm here on the tube forum, is there any tube preamp that would work well with the solid state 416? Or am I better matching SS to SS?

Back
Top Bottom