Pick in a turntable

Chedder68

Hello audiokarma community, I'm pretty much new on her and am thinking of buying a
Sony Ps-x5 Direct Drive Turntable With Pickering SXV 300 Cart, are they any good, I'm just starting out with the vintage stereo stuff and am not looking to buy the best right now but I would like some thing decent though......not sure, help please

Hello audiokarma community, I'm pretty much new on her and am thinking of buying a
Sony Ps-x5 Direct Drive Turntable With Pickering SXV 300 Cart, are they any good, I'm just starting out with the vintage stereo stuff and am not looking to buy the best right now but I would like some thing decent though......not sure, help please

It is a middle line home entertainment work horse type from Sony.

Fully automatic, crystal lock -Top of the line model though.
https://www.vinylengine.com/library/sony/ps-x5.shtml

Sony did not make bad products in those day! :no:

The Pickering SXV 3000 is a nice cart. You can get aftermarket styli very cheap. Good ones or NOS will cost much more.

These are sweet tables. I have a PS-X7 needing work, gave my brother an earlier X7 I picked up and when it came back for a tuneup it got me to work on my friend's PS-X5, since I was in a Sony PS-X mood. The X5 needed some massaging to get it to work in automatic. But this made me realize the Manual start procedure is most excellent.

With the record size selector in manual, locate tonearm over record, press start and you have enough time to clean the record as the table cycles and lowers the tonearm. Automatic return. Great table.

An true audiophile friend offer up some good gear trying to wrest my brother's X7 from my hands.

This line of tables seem to be underrated at this time and would be worthy additions of many systems. Heavy suckers with the Sony base material.

If you get the table there are some things to do to it, like most old gear. It is documented here on AK. This is a table you won't need to upgrade until you do decide to get the best.

I would say this is a great turntable, but if there's anything wrong with the direct drive electronics, you're in for some repairs which will require a tech, or an advanced level DIY type effort.

My advice is to carefully check the arm has not been messed with in any way, the bearings are in good shape. Then run the turntable, and observe the strobe. The dot pattern should be absolutely stationary, with no wandering in either direction, and no pulsating or abrupt movements in either direction. Leave it on for a while, let it run for an hour or two, and if the strobe stays absolutely stable, you're good to go. Pending a good bill of health, I believe these Sony decks are under rated, and are a bargain next to the 1970s belt drive vintage decks with a wood base, which seem to command higher prices for lower performance.

I would say this is a great turntable, but if there's anything wrong with the direct drive electronics, you're in for some repairs which will require a tech, or an advanced level DIY type effort.

My advice is to carefully check the arm has not been messed with in any way, the bearings are in good shape. Then run the turntable, and observe the strobe. The dot pattern should be absolutely stationary, with no wandering in either direction, and no pulsating or abrupt movements in either direction. Leave it on for a while, let it run for an hour or two, and if the strobe stays absolutely stable, you're good to go. Pending a good bill of health, I believe these Sony decks are under rated, and are a bargain next to the 1970s belt drive vintage decks with a wood base, which seem to command higher prices for lower performance.

I'd say the PS-X5/6/7 are on par or a bit better than the consumer Technics quartz models that similarly lack VTA adjustment and that the next gen PS-X50/6/70 are a good bit better overall than the venerable SL-1200mk2, if we're comparing on a purely performance based criteria. The 1200 is reliable as a hammer though and the Sonys have some foibles that you have to watch out for.

I'd say the PS-X5/6/7 are on par or a bit better than the consumer Technics quartz models that similarly lack VTA adjustment and that the next gen PS-X50/6/70 are a good bit better overall than the venerable SL-1200mk2, if we're comparing on a purely performance based criteria. The 1200 is reliable as a hammer though and the Sonys have some foibles that you have to watch out for.

Yes, for reliability I like Pioneer and Technics, for vintage consumer turntables.

When I saw the thread title I thought you must have found a guitar pick inside a turntable. :) Stranger things have happened so it wouldn't have surprised me.

Anyway, as the others have said that is a good one.

These are sweet tables. I have a PS-X7 needing work, gave my brother an earlier X7 I picked up and when it came back for a tuneup it got me to work on my friend's PS-X5, since I was in a Sony PS-X mood. The X5 needed some massaging to get it to work in automatic. But this made me realize the Manual start procedure is most excellent.

With the record size selector in manual, locate tonearm over record, press start and you have enough time to clean the record as the table cycles and lowers the tonearm. Automatic return. Great table.

An true audiophile friend offer up some good gear trying to wrest my brother's X7 from my hands.

This line of tables seem to be underrated at this time and would be worthy additions of many systems. Heavy suckers with the Sony base material.

If you get the table there are some things to do to it, like most old gear. It is documented here on AK. This is a table you won't need to upgrade until you do decide to get the best.

My advice is to carefully check the arm has not been messed with in any way, the bearings are in good shape. Then run the turntable, and observe the strobe. The dot pattern should be absolutely stationary, with no wandering in either direction, and no pulsating or abrupt movements in either direction. Leave it on for a while, let it run for an hour or two, and if the strobe stays absolutely stable, you're good to go. Pending a good bill of health, I believe these Sony decks are under rated, and are a bargain next to the 1970s belt drive vintage decks with a wood base, which seem to command higher prices for lower performance

Rite on. Well every body has about the same opinion of the table, only down side now is that it is on eBay so I can't really check it out......got to go on trust, they are a 100% rated sales.....well I think I'll get it, thanks every one for your help

Go
Rite on. Well every body has about the same opinion of the table, only down side now is that it is on eBay so I can't really check it out......got to go on trust, they are a 100% rated sales.....well I think I'll get it, thanks every one for your help

Good luck, if it's on the Bay be prepared for a price war !

Cross the dustcover bridge when you get the turntable. What you really should be concerned about now is whether it arrives safe and sound or not.

Does the seller have experience shipping turntables? Are they going to pack it well? MANY turntables get damaged because it was not done correctly. Have you been in touch with the seller regarding this?

Just one of the many threads with similar stories: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/want-to-see-a-disaster.837385/

Damn man looks like it got ran over by fedex, well I just asked if they have ever shipped one before.......nervious buyer rite here

Cross the dustcover bridge when you get the turntable. What you really should be concerned about now is whether it arrives safe and sound or not.

Does the seller have experience shipping turntables? Are they going to pack it well? MANY turntables get damaged because it was not done correctly. Have you been in touch with the seller regarding this?

Just one of the many threads with similar stories: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/want-to-see-a-disaster.837385/
I asked and got a lol then she told me that she used to Owen a stereo store and has been shipping electronics sinse the 70s

Back
Top Bottom