Pickering and Stanton Users and Collectors.

freQ(*)Oddio

Please post pics /descriptions of your Pickering and Stanton, carts and stylus., I will start with a few popular combos i use that sound fantastic, I like to keep my carts on their own headshells for easier swapping ,On one shell i use a 500 and a pickering de .04x.07, -1 gram , i have a . 03x.07 -1.25 gram on the way, On the other shell is a 500 with a stanton white/blue heavy tracker 5 grams, and swap it with a aftermarket 500ee 3.25 grams black red. XV15 with a vivid line d1800s .02x.07

Attachments

• ms.jpg
    ms.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 133
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 132
  • dc.jpg
    dc.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 131
  • m.jpg
    m.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 132
  • FullSizeRender (99).jpg
    FullSizeRender (99).jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 133
  • n.jpg
    n.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 130
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:
XV-15 JICO, Tracking 1.75 with brush, SL 1200 mk2 with fluid dampener. Tracks great, Very clean sounding. I load it at 200pf, Knocked some of the high end sizzle, Works very well

Last edited:
XSV3000-3.jpg XSV3000-4.jpg

Pickering XSV3000 with the Stereohedron I stylus. A true line contact stylus with a tracing radius of 0.3mil and a contact radius of 2.8mil. Moving magnet design with a reduced stylus assembly effective mass by using a miniaturized high energy rare earth magnet. Optimum tracking force of 1 gram.

I have a pickering XLZ 4500 S on my technics sl 1700 mk2 at 1gm. I use a Vividline 7500 mk IIs on it most of time at 1.25 gm and 0 A/S.I also have a XVS 3000,Stanton 881S.,680 EES and 681 EEE

Nice picture of that stylus tip! Did you do that?
Yes. I used a 250x microscope with a usb camera in place of the eyepiece. It's normally used to view biological specimens but I found it works for styli and other small jewels. To get a good view of the facets is time consuming; the slightest adjustment causes the entire image to move out of the field of vision. The angle has to be exact and the lighting can't be too bright. Most of the time I view the stylus directly from the front which causes only the edge of the facet to be highlighted, but I just don't have the patience to angle the stylus to get a view of the facets.

am currently using a pickering xsv/3000 ,i also have my eye on a XSV4000, has anyone used that cartridge ?, is it good as the 3000 or better ?

I have a collection of Pickering V15's and Stanton 680 and 681 carts. Assorted nails, assorted machines, some as spares, some in active use. None of them are near as cool as ear's signed Stanton body. Whats the basic guts of that, a 981 ?

I have a collection of Pickering V15's and Stanton 680 and 681 carts. Assorted nails, assorted machines, some as spares, some in active use. None of them are near as cool as ear's signed Stanton body. Whats the basic guts of that, a 981 ?
i am curious about that cart also,

Got out my Stanton product literature and found the specifications for the CS100 and 981.

The stylus assemblies are very similar. Same stylus tip (Stereohedron II) , same compliance (30). Same frequency response (10 – 50kHz). Same channel separation (35 dB).

The internal electronics are different.

CS100 output: 0.76 mV
CS100 DC Resistance: 500 Ohms
CS100 Inductance: 270 mH

981 output: 0.70 mV
981 DC Resistance: 800 Ohms
981 Inductance: 450 mH

881 output: 0.90 mV
881 DC Resistance: 900 Ohms
881 Inductance: 510 mH

681 output: 0.70 mV
681 DC Resistance: 1300 Ohms
681 Inductance: 930 mH
681 cartridge weight is almost 1 gram heavier than the other cartridges. 681 is a moving iron design vs. moving magnet.

XV-15 JICO, Tracking 1.75 with brush, SL 1200 mk2 with fluid dampener. Tracks great, Very clean sounding. I load it at 200pf, Knocked some of the high end sizzle, Works very well
Do you know if their are faults to what color XV-15 I get, there are a few nos white ones and used gray color. just as long as I can use a nice upgraded stylus like a 625 or 1200?is my only concern.

Needlestein, we meet again. Hope all is well. I still have that Pickering D-AME-3 needle (Duotone 965D) from Fred's and it needs a cart. The box says "V-15-3 Series." Can I assume that I should be looking for a V-15-3 Series cartridge? (No wise cracks, okay? Hey, hey I heard that....!) Assuming it has to be a "3 Series?" not just a V-15 (without the "3")? Do I have other options?

The gold plated ones are the flashiest, but word is that no matter what color/finish, they are all the same inside except for the very early grey ones, which contain only two coils. The blue ones taste the best, just like of all the different M&M colors, the yellow ones taste the best.
this XV15 just popped on the auction , free shipping $49 bin, seemed reasonably priced compared to the Stanton 681, says works excellent, with dustamatic 750 stylus in good playing condition. seller has 100% rating with a few other carts for sale, so I went with it., dam I need another headshell!p.jpg

Last edited:
Needlestein, we meet again. Hope all is well. I still have that Pickering D-AME-3 needle (Duotone 965D) from Fred's and it needs a cart. The box says "V-15-3 Series." Can I assume that I should be looking for a V-15-3 Series cartridge? (No wise cracks, okay? Hey, hey I heard that....!) Assuming it has to be a "3 Series?" not just a V-15 (without the "3")? Do I have other options?
That's Funny you mention that stylus, I have a DAME 3 from lp gear coming in the mail now, going on a Stanton 500. The specs looked like the best choice for a upgrade on a 500.

If it's in good shape, you'll like it. The tip looks very dirty, though. You'll want to give it a good cleaning.
I cant wait to hear it, Pretty sure a 500 or v15stylus is not made for the xv15 moving iron, so I will order a new one, ill try this stylus for now after a good cleaning.

Definitely a 500 or V15 will not be of any use in an XV-15. That D750 after you clean it up should be all you need if it's still in good shape. You'll probably have a hard time finding a new one (but maybe one could fall into your lap if you keep your eyes open) and the aftermarket styli may get close, but they're not quite as smooth. It's a nude .3 x .7 elliptical and it sounds fantastic.
when buying carts, i wonder about people adding stickers from a better cart to a cheaper cart, the sticker on the one i bought looks a little crooked or off a little, but i think i am safe with the shiny gold color was on that cart regardless of the sticker

Back
Top Bottom