Pickering Headphones Any Good?

sol7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I broke my old headphones a while back and have been looking out for a pair to replace them. Now I'm not a diehard headphone user. Only rarely do I use them considering I have a whole house to myself. So, I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money on something that's going to live most it's life on a shelf.

With that in mind, I came across a pair of Pickering CD-5 headphones. Not finding much info out there on them. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks

headphone1.jpg

Can't be all that popular if you can't find any info.
I see OA's only 2 CD phones CD 2 from an add from 2009 no review and these CD 3+3 he sold them after buying them>> https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pickering-cd-3-3-headphones-any-information.702986/
i am thinking these were for portable Compact Disc players.
Also Pickering has long been associated with Turn Table Cartridges and needles.
My guess it may be rare or wasn't a big hit.
I would plunk money down on a decent pair of newer affordable phones and be done with it, the market is an endless sea of good affordable phones.
What did you own before and did you like them?
Since you only use headphones on rare occasions may i suggest Sennheiser HD 201's.
They are like $50.00 on Amazon and beyond inexpensive on Ebay, i have a pair and find they work well and are light.
Now being Sennheiser's low bottom budget phones they won't take abuse in the material department, you have to be gentile with them and they will do the job.
Others may have a better selection but for under $40.00 on Ebay can't beat it.

Last edited:
The ones I broke were Audio Technica's, over the ear. I just noticed that the Pickering headphones appear to be on ear. Not sure I want that. I want isolation from outside noises. If I can get them cheap enough, I'll try them. I'll have to look into the Sennheiser HD 201's. There's just too many choices out there.

If you want circumaural, closed-back headphones at a budget price, the Monoprice 8323 isn't a bad choice at about $25.

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Pr...1-1-spons&keywords=monoprice+headphones&psc=1

However, I note you remarked you have a whole house to yourself, but want isolation. You have a source of noise nearby? Seems you would not be concerned about noise leaking out, but in.

IMO, open-back designs provide better sound for your circumaural dollar. The AKG 240S, currently $59 Amazon, are one of my favorite low-budget phones, and sometimes go on sale for less. Well-made and comfortable. Some here recommend the Samson SR850, Amazon $32, but I haven't heard them. And if you're willing to go $79, the Grado SR60e has been a perennial favorite among enthusiasts.

And I just noticed you posted Jun 29, and figure you already bought something, probably. Still around?

Back
Top Bottom