Pickering XV-15/625E

Many have written glowingly about the Pickering XV-15 and its sister the Stanton 681. It's a keeper IMO, although I recently traded mine away for a different cart to try something new. Oddio's recommendation for a VL is a good one, or you could go cheap (but solid) by buying one of the 4606 tips at TVOM. I'll probably try to acquire another one of these carts for my collection at some point. Great find on your part!

Cool, how does it compare to, say, Audio Technica or Shure cartridges? I don't even remember where it came from, I'm sure I got it from someone back in the 90s. You can see that Shure V15 IV beside it in the box.. that's the one where I used needle nose pliers to remove the wire from the back, and the whole terminal board came out, ruining the cartridge. I don't know why I kept it, it was an early lesson on being careful!

The XV-15 is a good cartridge. Picked up a mint 1219 bought in Germany. Originally fixed for a customer who’s uncle owned it. Didn’t think he would part with it. I replaced the stylus with a generic stylus from Gray at Voiceofmusic. Sounds great. At some point I will get a Jico for it it. Definitely worth it. Have a BSR 810 with a Shure M91ED next to the Dual. Very hard to tell much of a difference. Married to Shure but the Pickering gives it a run for its money. A keeper.

The XV-15 is a MI cart. I found it to be dynamic with big bass and sweet highs, although I struggled with a bit of sibilance with it, perhaps due to the stylus I used or alignment imperfection. If I had a complaint it would be the metal mounting "wings", which I found to be fiddly, especially with the little rubber mounting blocks it came with. The wings and rubber blocks would twist when I turned the mounting screws, compounded by the little metal wings being flexible as well. It all made mounting a bit of a chore, but there was a warmth and charm to the cart that make me understand why many enjoy this cartridge. It's a cart, like the V15, that long-term hobbyists owe themselves to try at least once IMO.

Cool, how does it compare to, say, Audio Technica or Shure cartridges? I don't even remember where it came from, I'm sure I got it from someone back in the 90s. You can see that Shure V15 IV beside it in the box.. that's the one where I used needle nose pliers to remove the wire from the back, and the whole terminal board came out, ruining the cartridge. I don't know why I kept it, it was an early lesson on being careful!

The XV-15 is a MI cart. I found it to be dynamic with big bass and sweet highs, although I struggled with a bit of sibilance with it, perhaps due to the stylus I used or alignment imperfection. If I had a complaint it would be the metal mounting "wings", which I found to be fiddly, especially with the little rubber mounting blocks it came with. The wings and rubber blocks would twist when I turned the mounting screws, compounded by the little metal wings being flexible as well. It all made mounting a bit of a chore, but there was a warmth and charm to the cart that make me understand why many enjoy this cartridge. It's a cart, like the V15, that long-term hobbyists owe themselves to try at least once IMO.

How about arm/turntable compatibility? Looks similar to Shure in that regard, fairly general purpose? My parents were cleaning out their computer room, and presented me with that little wooden box, which I hadn't seen in years.

Well I used it on a PLX-1000, a common S-shaped arm and it worked well. Remember too that there are styli from heavy-tracking conicals up to light-tracking special tips for this cart and the Stanton 681, so there are plenty of options for marrying compliance, VTF, etc, for your needs. Someone with more detailed technical knowledge of cart/tonearm matching can chime in more effectively here I'm sure.

How about arm/turntable compatibility? Looks similar to Shure in that regard, fairly general purpose? My parents were cleaning out their computer room, and presented me with that little wooden box, which I hadn't seen in years.

Well I used it on a PLX-1000, a common S-shaped arm and it worked well. Remember too that there are styli from heavy-tracking conicals up to light-tracking special tips for this cart and the Stanton 681, so there are plenty of options for marrying compliance, VTF, etc, for your needs. Someone with more detailed technical knowledge of cart/tonearm matching can chime in more effectively here I'm sure.

Had to look that one up, looks like a nice TT! The X threw me off, I'm not very knowledgeable about the newer TTs

Yes to both. :thumbsup:

Look at that, the D100 tracks at 5 grams, and puts out 8mV! Could one ask for something more ideal for an old Garrard? On the other hand, the higher end styli look like they would be ideal for a much better turntable. I'll probably throw in a stylus for this next time I've got to order some idler wheels or belts... I'm glad I asked

This thread makes me wish I hadn't traded my XV-15 recently. I never tried the VL in the cart and wish I had tried! Enjoy that find maxhifli.

Back
Top Bottom