Pics of your listening space

elcoholic, please tell me you're not referring "Bohemian Rhapsody" as in the epic song by Queen. I'm a HUGE fan of the group and I'm guessing you're talking about a biography of some sort.
I definitely am. They cast Rami Malik (Mr Robot) as Freddy. With the short hair and the Aviators you’ll swear it’s him.

cube-tube, those dual JLs are like a roadside car crash - you can't help but slow down and create a gapers' delay. I'm drawn to them like a moth to a flame and find myself trying to resist looking for too long. The fact that you played "Numbers" by Kraftwerk through them will keep me coming back for future viewing.

Funny you say that, because those JL's are almost not even heard until called upon. The majority of bass you hear is coming from the little Venere 1.5's. And let me tell you, with the 290 watts of grunt from those NuPrime amps, the Venere 1.5's have plenty of bass and control.

Now this whole "Numbers" by Kraftwerk, that has me puzzled. I don't ever recall playing that anytime recently. Especially not on this setup.

And just for your very own viewing pleasure...

p3132287798-5.jpg

p3132287898-5.jpg

p3132288036-5.jpg

Funny you say that, because those JL's are almost not even heard until called upon. The majority of bass you hear is coming from the little Venere 1.5's. And let me tell you, with the 290 watts of grunt from those NuPrime amps, the Venere 1.5's have plenty of bass and control.

Now this whole "Numbers" by Kraftwerk, that has me puzzled. I don't ever recall playing that anytime recently. Especially not on this setup.

p3132287798-5.jpg

p3132287898-5.jpg

p3132288036-5.jpg
p3132288059-5.jpg

Cap1, I already said it more than once and I'll say it again: Your setup is simply lovely. The equipment racks, the components, and the decor are a sight to behold and undoubtedly an experience to listen to. I don't know what genre(s) you primarily listen to but I bet you sure as hell get lost in the music.

Thanks, KDAC

It was sounding good until I started moving things around. For what ever reason adding the second rack and moving the sub to the center sucked the bass out of the room

The wife is responsible for making it look good with a sound over aesthetics.

I let others choose my music for me from various lists at random, Tidal suggested new releases or from my own collection randomly. When a do actually pick out a record that is one of my favorites that also has great sound the short list would be Jason Isbell’s Southeastern, Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus, Tom Waits Closing Time, The Heart of Saturday Night, Small Change or Blue Valentine, Sarah Mclachlan’s Surfacing, Brahm’s 4th with Philharmoniker, Uncle Tupelo’s Amodyne, The Living Stereo copy of Sheherazade, The Drive-by Truckers Brighter than Creation’s Dark and lastly Joy Division’s Unknown Pleasures. All on vinyl. Just stuff that I like that happens to sound great and has not been payed to death. I guess one other would be Louis Armstrong Meets Oscar Peterson which for some reason I don’t own but I stream it from tidal.

Forgot Elliott Smith’s Either/Or and Basement on the Hill

p3132287798-5.jpg

p3132287898-5.jpg

p3132288036-5.jpg
[/QUOTE

You always seem to put together such clean, interesting systems. It's been fun looking at the ways you've swapped gear and built new setups over the years. I always look forward to your posts/pics.

Souladdikt, your system looks good and I bet it sounds amazing but what's really grabbing me is the open space and the decor. A nice, uncrowded mantle, neatly sheened hardwood flooring, an engaing color on the "contrast wall," 1960s-era mod table and chairs, a comfortable couch, and just the right amount of books to keep one positioned on the couch for the duration of a weekend - especially if it's cold outside.

Thanks, KDAC. I've already spent some chilly nights this fall enjoying the warm glow of tubes as I read over liner notes while listening to records.

My humble yet good sounding home office system. Classic iPod(s) usually with LOD connectors, Onkyo TX-8511 and Madisound Kanspea speakers. These 4" full range Fostex drivers really do jazz justice.

View attachment 1315338

I was eyeing those kits for a while in the clearance section. I'm glad they sound good

I was intrigued by these for a desktop setup which are basically a scaled down version of the fostex single driver horns like your kanspea

these fall off after 100hz but if you have compact sub capable of playing to 40-50hz you can have a sweet office setup. I'm surprised they still have them in stock this was approx ~6 months ago. It's a killer deal for $65 IMO

bk40h-2.jpg

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/assembled-speakers/fostex-bk-40h-horn-pair/

I was eyeing those kits for a while in the clearance section. I'm glad they sound good

I was intrigued by these for a desktop setup which are basically a scaled down version of the fostex single driver horns like your kanspea

these fall off after 100hz but if you have compact sub capable of playing to 40-50hz you can have a sweet office setup. I'm surprised they still have them in stock this was approx ~6 months ago. It's a killer deal for $65 IMO

bk40h-2.jpg

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/assembled-speakers/fostex-bk-40h-horn-pair/
For their size these little Kanspea ported enclosures have pretty satisfying bass.

Oh, that!...

I just had the TV on and Soma FM playing on the Roku to test all of the inputs on the old Pioneer Elite VSX-54TX, which hadn't been powered up in years. I wasn't paying attention to what was on the TV at the time as when I took that pic, I had The Cure - Mixed Up CD playing.

Also, that's the bedroom system, and those subs are the Polk Audio PSW505's, which are a slot-loaded 12's. They sound pretty good both with music and movies, hit pretty hard, but they are light years behind what those little JL subs can do.

You always seem to put together such clean, interesting systems. It's been fun looking at the ways you've swapped gear and built new setups over the years. I always look forward to your posts/pics.

Why thank you Soul! I really appreciate that. It's certainly a never ending journey. And it's a passion of mine. If I could make a business and a living out of it, I definitely would.

A great HT system goes a long way, but sometimes I just have to see a certain type of movie on the big screen. Well it’s the Edward’s Big Newport - actually the biggest 70mm screen in the western US with 3000 seats. I’ll be there for Bohemian Rapsody next week for sure. The atmosphere will be electric to say the least.
Correction they remodeled the "Big Newport" since I was last there. The screen is 40x80 and there's 1108 luxury recliners.

Souladdikt, your system looks good and I bet it sounds amazing but what's really grabbing me is the open space and the decor. A nice, uncrowded mantle, neatly sheened hardwood flooring, an engaing color on the "contrast wall," 1960s-era mod table and chairs, a comfortable couch, and just the right amount of books to keep one positioned on the couch for the duration of a weekend - especially if it's cold outside.

I second this.
The reason why i still love physical media is the reason why I love books on walls: you can't make your libraray a part of your wall art if you have everything stored in a tablet or in the cloud.

Back
Top Bottom