Pioneer CS-77A or HPM-40?

pestes

I have a Pioneer SX-626 Receiver and a PL-350 Turntable. The guy I bought them from threw in a pair of Sansui SP-50 speakers, which I love the look of them and the bass is pretty great, but mid-to-high range is lacking. So I've been looking to upgrade my speakers to try and get some better sound and wanted to get some Pioneer speakers to complete the set.

I'm sure better deals can be made, but there's a vintage audio place not too far away that has some CS-77A speakers for $399 (ouch!) that look spectacular. There's another local guy that has some HPM-40's who is selling for $220. That seems a little pricey too, but I'm thinking I can probably get that down.

So, really I want to know which is going to deliver the best sound for the price? I love the way the CS-77A's look and they probably pair better with my system from a time period aspect, but if the sound is going to be way better on the HPM-40's then I would probably opt for that at the lower price.

BTW - I've looked at eBay and Craigslist, and with shipping I can't say that I can get any better price...unless I decide to wait and bargain hunt.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

I have HPM 40s and HPM 900s... and I'd have a hard time settling for a 10" woofer.
But $399 is full retail. So I'm no help :)

I own both cs 77a's and HPM 40's and 60's.
I prefer the HPM's.
For me HPM's have more clarity, detail, a more natural sound.
If you need more bass, get some HPM 60's.
I've also owned cs 99a and I still prefer the HPM's.

I have the HPM 60's. I've installed new caps and resistors and that has pulled back the midrange which was too forward. However, I also have a pair of Polk Monitor 5's that I recapped and are way better than the HPM's.
The HPM's are a good rock speaker, but the Polks are better balanced, and I'm using a Pioneer SX-650 to drive them, as opposed to a SX-850 driving the HPMs. I enjoy both, but given the choice, I'll take the Polks, and a pair of Advent Smaller speakers that I also own.

Did you ever end up making the decision? I have a set of The HPM 40's and I think they sound decent but a little on the bright side. So if you decide to go with the HPM's, adding a sub in the mix will even the sound out a lot better. I'm actually in the process of restoring the cabinets of my HPM 40's by stripping the cheap vinyl veneer off and adding real wood veneer. Also looking for any capacitor upgrade suggestions.

I have the HPM 60's. I've installed new caps and resistors and that has pulled back the midrange which was too forward. However, I also have a pair of Polk Monitor 5's that I recapped and are way better than the HPM's.
The HPM's are a good rock speaker, but the Polks are better balanced, and I'm using a Pioneer SX-650 to drive them, as opposed to a SX-850 driving the HPMs. I enjoy both, but given the choice, I'll take the Polks, and a pair of Advent Smaller speakers that I also own.
Hey, not sure if you are still active here, but I saw your post and was curious about the work you did on the HPM 60s. I have a pair in near-mint condition, but I also think the sound is too forward in the mids. Did you just replace the caps with the same spec, or did you modify the design with different caps? I am powering them with a Realistic STA-90 @45WPC. Thanks.

Area man, I replaced the caps and resistors. I tried to stay as close as possible to the original cap specs. Here are some pics. 939CCB13-38E9-46A3-A1A5-473CC3BB087D.jpegDC7E00D7-D9B5-46E3-925E-8335D3C9EC77.jpeg1779B426-DD46-4DF5-8D75-B2516960F132.jpegEF4A073A-8056-4C3F-94F5-0FB7E4920B52.jpeg
I may change that sand cast resistor out for a Mills at some point. I’m using an SX-850 to drive them,

Back
Top Bottom