pioneer cs series speakers

ekmanning5

Time has told me...
Can anyone here tell me about the cs series of speakers by Pioneer? What do the numbers mean? Were they issued sequentially? Which models were preferred? Is there a web site that might explain them? I just picked up a pair of cs63dx, they sound rather warm and pleasant, and I think I'm just a sucker for those retro grills (that would explain all the Realistic Novas I keep tripping over). Were these Armed Forces px speakers. The guy I bought them from mentioned the Army. Any comments would be appreciated.

Fellow AKer DENNYDOG- CHECK OUT HIS AVATAR- has a pair of CS-63DX's...when he got them, they were "warm and pleasant" as you mentioned, but he modded them with some modern Pyle hardware and ported them- now they thunder! I don't believe they were exclusive to the PX's, but I've been wrong before.:scratch2:

From a 1979 catalog, the CS-63DX:

Doc

attachment.php

Attachments

• cs-63dx.jpg
    cs-63dx.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 490
The CS-63DX was more expensive than the CS-99A.
I can say that the CS-99A and CS-88A had excellent sound from the midbass through the treble range. Not as much bass as might be expected from a 15-inch woofer, but that was the common "Japanese sound" speaker systems in the early 70s from Pioneer, Sansui & Kenwood, etc.
The cabinets are furniture grade, I loved the fret-work grilles.

Those grilles are beautiful. Dated, and beautiful. Actual wood lattice bound together with little metal clips. Solid wood frames. Amazing.

My daughter has a pair. There are better sounding speakers, but these are very much keepers.

jocko

jocko_nc said:
Those grilles are beautiful. Dated, and beautiful. Actual wood lattice bound together with little metal clips. Solid wood frames. Amazing.

My daughter has a pair. There are better sounding speakers, but these are very much keepers.

jocko

Agreed, the veneer and grillwork are, as you said, beautiful. I just sold my CS-99A's for space-sake and now I'm feeling a twinge of regret- it disappears when I fire up the HPM-100s, though.:D

jocko_nc said:

jocko

I've got the CS77's that look very much the same.. Mine look look brand spankin new. not one ding or scratch... Got them in the boxes with all the papers, and even the felt pads for the bottom that were never installed.. The mailing label on one of the boxes from 1970 from AAFES Japan... $1.70 INSURED.. LOL...

You are right.. better sounding speakers out there, but the looks make up for what they lack in sound.. I do still listen to them though, they have a sound all their own :)

Pioneer cs series

HI ED, I AM VIC NEW TO THIS FORUM BUT READ BELOW~~~

THIS IS MY FIRST DIRECT REPLY TO A QUESTION. I HAVE MANY OF THE PIONEER CS SERIES. I CAN TELL YOU SOME OF WHAT I HAVE LEARNED JUST BY BEING 53 AND INTO VINTAGE POWER STEREO EQUIPMENT SINCE 1977.

THE CS SERIES I CAN TELL YOU COMES IN TWO TYPES, THE TAN FB BASE REFLEX TYPE AND THE BLACK NON-BEADED LOUD SPEAKER TYPE. BY BEADED I MEAN THE RUBBER/MATERIAL AROUND THE CONE.

IN THE 12" INCH SIZE THERE ARE AT LEAST 5 DIFFERENT MODELS OF THE TAN FB SERIES THAT I HAVE. AS WELL IN THE BLACK NON-BEADED LOUD SPEAKER SEARIES THERE ARE AS MANY OF THESE AS THE TAN. I HAVE ANOPINION THAT IN THIS ORDER PEOPLE PREFER THE TAN CS FB CONED PIONEERS BECAUSE OF THEIR COLOR, THEN THE TAN REPLACEMENTS ARE LIKED NEXT AND THE BLACK ARE PREFERRED LEAST TO THE UN-INFORMED WANNA BE AUDIO GENERATION.

I PREFER MIXING ONE TAN CS FB BASE REFLEX PIONEER WITH ONE CS BLACK LOUD SPEAKER PIONEER AS THE BLACK ONES HANDLE MORE POWER. THIS WAY YOU GET THE DEEP BASE FROM THE TAN FB OR REPLACEMENT W/O THE SILVER FB INITIALS AND THE LOUD HIGHS OF THE BLACK CONED CS LOUD SPEAKERS. AS ABOVE THE BLACK CONES W/O THE REFLEX BEAD ARE CONSIDERABLY LOUDER.

IN GENERAL THE THESE ARE THE LATE 1970s AND EARLY 1980s LINE OF PREMIER SPEAKERS EXCLUDING THE H SERIES. I PERSONALLY HAVE NEVER HAD A BETTER, LOUDER, SOUND QUALITY THAN THE SPEAKERS HIDDEN IN THOS BOXES LABELED "MARSHAL" THAT YOU SEE IN BANDS, THE ""CELESTION"" BASE BOTTOM LOUD SPEAKERS""! ONE 15" CELESTIAN CAN HANDLE OVER 200 WATTS JUST WITH THE 15" BASE BOTTOM. I AM LUCKY TO HAVE 2 (YWO) THAT CAN HANDLE A 500 WPC RECEIVER WITH THE MIDS AND THE TWEETS.

ED, PLEASE KEEP IN TOUCH AS I AM CURENTLY MAKING A LIST OF THE COMPLETE LINE OF THE PIONEER CS SERIES AND THEIR WATTAGE/SCHEMATICS. YOU CAN CONTACT ME AT 262-552-9436 OR RVICKERS@WI.RR.COM. I AM A PERFECTIONEST SO I MAKE SURE I AM CORRECT BEFORE I GIVE ADVICE OR OPEN THE OLE CHAPPER TRAP.

REGARDS FRIEND,

VIC

I have a single CS-100 speaker, I can tell you it is big and heavy! I believe it is over 100 pounds and is about 38 inches tall. Not a bookshelf speaker ! I like the sound, but i have only a single, I'm sure it'd get more use if I had a pair!

re: A new audiophile on the block!

HI ALL,

I AM CALLED VIC BY MOST AND I AM 53 AND STARTED COLLECTING STEREO EQUIPMENT IN INALMOST 40 YEARS AGO AT 14. I HAVE QUITE A COLLECTION FROM WHICH MANY MAY ARGUE IS THE BEST: PROJECT ONE, SANSUI, SHERWOOD, MARANTZ, KENWOOD, PIONEER, HARMON KARDON, KNIGHT, BLAPUNCKT, SONY, AND SOME REALLY GOOD OTHERS THAT MOST MAY NOT KNOW.

I HAVE QUESTIONS AND I HAVE ANSWERS AS WELL. MY BASEMENT HAS NO ROOM AND IT IS ALL FROM 1973 TO 1984 VINTAGE. I HAVE EQUIPMENT THAT I DO NOT EVEN KNOW THAT I HAVE. SO KINDLY WELCOME/HELP ME IF I HAVE QUESTIONS.

I HAVE TOTAL RESPECT FOR THIS SECTOR OF THE MUSIC WORLD AND PERSONALLY LIVED AS A CHILD OF 14 AND BEYOND TO MUSIC & CONCERT S LIKE JAMES TAYLOR, QUEEN, THE ROLLING STONES, JAMES BOWIE, CSNY, BEATLES, AEROSMITH, BLACK SABBOTH, ELP, HUMBLE PIE, RUSH, PINK FLOYD, REO SPEED WAGON, KISS, ROD STEWART, LED ZEPPLIN, FLEETWOOD MAC, GRAND FUNK RAILROAD, QOLDEN EARING, MOUNTAIN, KANSAS, LEANORD SKYNYRD, OTIS REDDING, JIMMY HENDRIX, AND JANIS AND SO ON.

I HOPE TO MEET SOME FRIENDS AND CONTRIBUTE TO KEEP THIS SITE GOING~~~

WITH ALL ROCKIN RESPECT,

VIC:music:

Hi Vic, I just happened to see these old posts of yours from six years ago and that you didn't receive any replies that I see. I think this might have happened because of two things: the first that you wrote in all capitals which is a big no-no in online discussions as it's harsh to read and comes across as yelling. The second is that you wrote your a follow-up with introduction in your second post here that isn't quite related to the topic. This information would be best included in your profile page and/or in the welcome section.

If you are still around and care to discuss equipment and music here on audiokarma, I think you'll find people are very warm and willing to help for the most part, as long as you don't write in all-capitals and stick to the topics at hand or start your own.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom