Pioneer P-D1 (CD spins but doesn't play)

rctm

Hi,

it's been a while since the last time I stopped by, not to mention my last post... thought I'd say Howdy and while I'm here, ask for your help resolving an issue with this CD player.

Well first off, I recently purchased this deck on-line from a Japanese auction site... the add mentioned, powers on, lights up but not operational nor would the tray open.

Since I received it I've exchanged the rubber belt so the tray now opens, but the CD still does not play... only spins for a few seconds and then comes to a halt (some times spins then stops and tray opens). That is as far as I have been able to test the unit.

I would appreciate all or any info anyone here can give me so that I can come closer to putting this fine deck operational once again.

Thanks in advance

Cheers
Rod.

I've had the initial spin and then stop condition before and in both cases the CD player needed a new laser module. This fixed the problem. The reason for the symptoms is that the disc spins up and the player is looking for the index track information. The laser unit is not focussing properly and the player stops because it thinks that it has a non readable disc. Before you go down this route, make sure that the laser is clean. With the player open you might see, and possibly hear, the laser module rising and falling repeatedly during the initial spinup while it is searching for the disc.

Laser is unable to read TOC (table of content) from CD. Many of these older CD Players have ability to adjust focus on laser lens with simple trimmer but for that job you need servicemanual and osciloscope. Sometimes servo motor can not to spin disc at right speed and for that reason laser also can not to read TOC from disc. Everything is possible like as @Powertech say, maybe is only laser bad.

Hello everyone and Happy New Year!

This is an old post but I thought I'd give you a guy's an update, after a long time not giving the deck any attention (which sometimes is the best thing to do )this weekend I decided to give it another try...
As before, the player wasn't reading all cd's, so I decided to "pop the lid". After some lubricating of all the paths as well as motor, not only did the deck read anything I'd place in (including CDR's) the motor was silent as never seen (heard) before
All in all, the deck has been playing cd's all weekend without any problem whatsoever.
Thank you all for your contributions and suggestions.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom