Pioneer PL-15D-II How is the performance?

dneu201

I picked up a Pioneer PL-15D-II at a pawn shop today for $80. Everything is intact and works well. It was originally $125, and thankfully the shop didn't know what they were doing and I was able to get a discount after explaining to them it didn't work (stylus needed replacing). On top of that I bought 2 van halen, and 2 steely dan for only $8 more.

I wanted to know an approximate price on what these tables are going for and how well it performs. I currently have a Technics 1200mk2 and want to start ripping my vinyl. My plan was to move the Technics to my study next to my pc and use the Pioneer as my new TT in my media room for listening. It also helps that it is automatic and I can pass out while drinking and not have the player still running.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_8600.JPG
    IMG_8600.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_8599.JPG
    IMG_8599.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_8601.JPG
    IMG_8601.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 199
Looks like the automatic return version of my manual PL-12D II. They're OK for entry level belt drive tables but nowhere near as quiet and rumble free as your direct drive Technics. The motor on these has a tendency to make some low frequency noise that gets picked up by the cartridge and amplified through your speakers, although if you don't have speakers that go extremely low you may not hear it and it won't be an issue. Other than that it's a good basic turntable and you paid what they typically go for in clean working condition.

This Pioneer is a well built, beautiful, simple belt drive auto return classic from the early 1970's. You got it slightly cheap as wood base or wood grain base Pioneer turntables are beginning to fetch real money. This classic performs very well in it's own right if not as fine as your SL-1200 does. I like this Pioneer and the PL-10 manual version a lot and in their day, among the finest budget options.

I picked up a Pioneer PL-15D-II at a pawn shop today for $80. Everything is intact and works well. It was originally $125, and thankfully the shop didn't know what they were doing and I was able to get a discount after explaining to them it didn't work (stylus needed replacing). On top of that I bought 2 van halen, and 2 steely dan for only $8 more.

I wanted to know an approximate price on what these tables are going for and how well it performs. I currently have a Technics 1200mk2 and want to start ripping my vinyl. My plan was to move the Technics to my study next to my pc and use the Pioneer as my new TT in my media room for listening. It also helps that it is automatic and I can pass out while drinking and not have the player still running.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

I literally laughed out loud at your last comment "It also helps that it is automatic and I can pass out while drinking and not have the player still running." This is exactly how I feel about my Mk2A and has happened to me recently.

My first "real" turntable was the PL-112D which apart from being a manual, is very similar in design and construction to the PL-15D which was its immediate predecessor. Overall a decent unit but I found resonance and feedback an issue due to the hollow plinth used in this entry level series of Pioneer turntables.

I also have had a PL-15D II. Good performer.
If I remember correctly, the platter turns on as you move the tone arm over the record. The weak link is the plastic screw(s) that fastens the micro-switch to the underside of the top plate. They are labeled P M2.6 x 15 in the service manual. The plastic screws get brittle and break over time, and can be replaced with metal screws. When the screws break the switch will fall away from it's intended position and the lever attached to the tone arm under the top plate will no longer activate the switch. Easy fix.

And of course, being belt drive the belt will need to be changed periodically.

Those early 70s Pioneers were good for the money. Sold many new back then. Always liked the looks and performance. Have fun. Do a comparison with your Technics. you may want to rip with the Pioneer and keep the Technics to listen to. Wish you were here to show me how to rip. Had a stand alone CD recorder..a PIA to use. Finally got a NAD preamp with a USB port. Need to figure out how to make a few CDs for the car. We have an older Mac with a disc drive.

I just picked up a PL-15D-II at the local thrift store for $30. It is in excellent cosmetic condition and mechanically seems to work fine. I can't listen to it yet because it doesn't have a cartridge. Can anyone recommend a cartridge/stylus for this TT? I don't want to spend a lot of money on it because I don't know what the fate of the TT will be yet, e.g. keep it, sell it, etc.

Last edited:
Ha. This is pertinent to my interests as well, though I think I have the cartridge angle covered.

Picked one up w manual in spotless condition at fkea market for $20. Did have to get a new stylus. Works fine. Looks great with the wood veneer.

Crap. Getting hooked on vintage stuff

I have my Dads 15D...
...Rotel Amp
And Celstion Dittons...
The TT has issues....
#1...it needs a new stylus.
#2 ...auto return does not bring arm back to rest but dances on the edge of the platter so it continues to spin.....not good...
Thanks inbadvance for any advice or direction...
Cheers

I have my Dads 15D...
...Rotel Amp
And Celstion Dittons...
The TT has issues....
#1...it needs a new stylus.
#2 ...auto return does not bring arm back to rest but dances on the edge of the platter so it continues to spin.....not good...
Thanks inbadvance for any advice or direction...
Cheers

This thread is from 2015. I think you'll get better response and actual help for your issues if you start a new thread and title it appropriately so readers know you need help.
There is plenty of knowledge here.

Back
Top Bottom