Pioneer PL-61 arm disassembly?

Got this fixed. Was a nightmare to take the arm apart. They used loctite on parts I couldn't get a grip on. Took a strap wrench, acetone, and a mini torch. And there were 13 loose bearings that had to come out, then be put in their track. Took about two days.

Here's a few pics. The first pic shows the first part I made, but the anti skating wouldn't go high enough. There had to be a hump where the knob lifts it. The second picture shows the second part in place. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of it when it was out.

Attachments

• Image01.jpg
    Image01.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 219
  • Image02.jpg
    Image02.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 227
  • Image03.jpg
    Image03.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 217
  • Image04.jpg
    Image04.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 212
That looks like a load of fun. I've re-assembled loose bearings like that in tonearms before. The worst is when you get 12 in, and then something moves and one hits the floor, never to be seen again.

Got this fixed. Was a nightmare to take the arm apart. They used loctite on parts I couldn't get a grip on. Took a strap wrench, acetone, and a mini torch. And there were 13 loose bearings that had to come out, then be put in their track. Took about two days.

Hi Raccoon1400. I'm currently trying to open up the tonearm on my PL-61 to get to replace the antiskate cam. You had to use a strap wrench to remove this cover? It's not budging for me, but then again I didn't use acetone or heat. Just vice grips.

49671231_10219017504492316_1297599874564358144_n.jpg

Hi Raccoon1400. I'm currently trying to open up the tonearm on my PL-61 to get to replace the antiskate cam. You had to use a strap wrench to remove this cover? It's not budging for me, but then again I didn't use acetone or heat. Just vice grips.
I don't remember this one too well anymore but it took some real patience and care to get it apart.
Vice grips will just mark it up a lot and based on the marks you aren't putting them were the force is needed. I wrapped the strap wrench around that whole piece. And then I guess I used heat and acetone as I said.

When one of the parts finally came loose, it took some real nice reflexes on my part to stop my hand from moving before ripping the tonearm wires. I forget what piece that was, probably this one.

And all the bearings fall out when you get it apart. Don't lose any.

Last edited:
I don't remember this one too well anymore but it took some real patience and care to get it apart.
Vice grips will just mark it up a lot and based on the marks you aren't putting them were the force is needed. I wrapped the strap wrench around that whole piece. And then I guess I used heat and acetone as I said.

When one of the parts finally came loose, it took some real nice reflexes on my part to stop my hand from moving before ripping the tonearm wires. I forget what piece that was, probably this one.

Thank you, Raccoon14400. I will try with what you suggested.

Where do the bearings belong? I have one open at the moment to replace the anti skating cam but unsure where exactly the bearings came from, they were loose inside. Appreciate any help.

Where do the bearings belong? I have one open at the moment to replace the anti skating cam but unsure where exactly the bearings came from, they were loose inside. Appreciate any help.
I can barely picture this arm at all anymore, post some pictures maybe?

Ha! I was handed down a PL 61 from my dad, got the cam piece and went about swapping it out. Took apart most of the arm assembly only to see the cam and pieces had been removed and discarded. Guess I’ll be selling this for parts…

That looks like a load of fun. I've re-assembled loose bearings like that in tonearms before. The worst is when you get 12 in, and then something moves and one hits the floor, never to be seen again.

REM’s man (Rare Earth Magnets)

damn things are key to finding loose ball bearings in carpet. Just be careful they are the strongest magnets on earth.

Here's a few pics. The first pic shows the first part I made, but the anti skating wouldn't go high enough. There had to be a hump where the knob lifts it. The second picture shows the second part in place. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of it when it was out.

glad I was given this link before I started the work on mine…. Looks like i need to find a spring. Got the new cam in but it looks like I’m missing the spring.

So someone has brought me another one of these tables to repair, I get to do this again!

I have mine out now and am looking to rebuild the arm this weekend. Gonna start some work this afternoon when I’m off work.

Would you mind posting some pictures of the inside of the anti skate so I know what I’m missing? I have the new cam ready but I think I’m missing a spring. (Idk as this is my 1st go on the 61)

5F1AB0E8-FC4E-4D00-91FF-11EDED796D71.jpeg 9B0AC110-C3C0-408C-8166-998864FC2E02.jpeg BD08B516-F681-4AB1-9736-24BF72CEE786.jpeg 975A108F-295F-49EB-BF72-2C80638FB98C.jpeg A408AF30-3174-40FC-8ACA-1FA1F2E71218.jpeg B06033AC-EAB2-40E7-A670-0EC8E93E1689.jpeg

Have the arm off, and cut some plywood yesterday to use for pepper feet mounts.

I’ll be following along with your thread looking for info that may help me :)

So someone has brought me another one of these tables to repair, I get to do this again!

OK. I've decided to take this repair on myself. I was able to get the replacement cam installed without having to take the entire arm apart (pretty close though). The only issue I have before I start putting it back together again is where do the 12 loose ball bearings go? They kind of rolled into one area as I was taking things apart. I thinking I might have to take this thing totally apart to get them back in where they belong but I'm not sure where that is exactly, except I believe somewhere near the top of the main housing (where the magnet that the cam moves up and down). Hoping I don't have to do a compete disassembly to get those bearings back in, but I'm thinking I might.

Last edited:
For clarification, I disassembled it to a point where I should be able to get the 12 bearings installed and everything put back together. I just have no idea where the 12 bearings need to go. They kind of fell out from wherever they go and I could not see from exactly where.

I am adding 4 pictures to show what I am looking at. Can anyone who has been down this road before help me out with where the bearings go?

Attachments

• 20220725_203159.jpg
    20220725_203159.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20220725_203252.jpg
    20220725_203252.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220725_203340.jpg
    20220725_203340.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 20220725_203406.jpg
    20220725_203406.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Hopefully, you can lend some insight, since you have now done two of these, I'd hate to get this far and not have it put back together correctly. Thanks.

I have a one owner PL-61 that's in absolute pristine condition and it also has suffered from the dreaded Anti-Skate cam failure.

Looking at the above scenario I think I'll just offer it up for sale with the replacement cam supplied that I purchased some time back now.

So if you are in Australia and looking for one of these with all it's bits and pieces along with it's books then I'm more than happy to talk to you.

Meant to add for those who are adventurous enough to take on this repair, I was able to disassemble the threadlocked part of the tonearm without a strap wrench and without marking or scratching up any surface using some Robogrip pliers with rubber jaw covers. A little acetone applied for a couple days helped too.

Attachments

• 20220728_091849.jpg
    20220728_091849.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom