Pioneer RG-1 along with EQ- question.

ethangsmith

Hi folks,

I was fortunate to find a MINT Pioneer RG-1 today. I use an equalizer in my setup and use the tape out on the equalizer to feed signal to another component. Is it proper to insert the RG-1 between the Tape output on the receiver and the input of the equalizer? Or should the RG-1 be inserted between the equalizer output and receiver's Tape input and then my other audio source attached to the tape out on the RG-1 instead of the equalizer? Does it make a difference?

I should also ask here- I used Deoxit and then Faderlube on the input level control as it was VERY scratchy sounding. Worked well for an hour or two and now it's cutting out again if turned clockwise more than 3/4 of the way. Should I do more treatments of Deoxit and Faderlube?

You can do it a few different ways depending on the effect you want. If you connect the receiver's tape out to the RG1 in and then the RG1 Out to the EQ in and then the EQ out to another amp then you'll get gain and expansion and equalization through the EQ to the other amp. I've always thought it sounded better with the RG 1 first in the chain. But nothing says you can't feed the EQ out into the RG1 either. I didn't like it because it was very hard to tune to my likening that way. You can pick Tape Out anywhere in the chain to feed back into the receiver. I'd use the search feature to look into the subject, there are dozens of threads on it, some with diagrams, on both the RG 1 and 2 which interconnect the same.

Sometimes it takes more than one shot of Deoxit. Spray it good and work the control and let it dry real good.

Last edited:
Here is an example of an SX-1250/SG Eq/RG-1 combination.

SG9800A.jpg

In this configuration, the SG switch settings allow the signal to be routed through either the Eq or RG first or bypass either one as required.

Thanks guys for the input. I've been doing a little experimentation of my own with putting the RG-1 before or after the EQ and the effect is definitely different depending on where it is in the chain. Before the EQ, it definitely add a nice punch to the sound, but it seems like it dulls my EQ settings a little bit. Placing it after the EQ, I get a more robust sound, but I lose a little of the punch. I like the idea of using the tape input/output on the EQ. If I'm thinking right, when the Tape button is pressed on the EQ, it would run the signal through the RG-1 first and then the EQ?

Thanks guys for the input. I've been doing a little experimentation of my own with putting the RG-1 before or after the EQ and the effect is definitely different depending on where it is in the chain. Before the EQ, it definitely add a nice punch to the sound, but it seems like it dulls my EQ settings a little bit. Placing it after the EQ, I get a more robust sound, but I lose a little of the punch. I like the idea of using the tape input/output on the EQ. If I'm thinking right, when the Tape button is pressed on the EQ, it would run the signal through the RG-1 first and then the EQ?

It will likely depend on the specific EQ and it's signal routing options.

Here are the switch settings for the SG-9800:

If you want the signal to go through the RG1 before the Equalizer (Fig.4), set the SG9800 switches as follows:

TAPE MONITOR switch: ON
EQUALIZER switch: ON

If you want the signal to go through the Equalizer before the RG1 (Fig.5), set the SG9800 switches as follows:

EQUALIZER switch: ON/RECORDING

If you want to bypass the Equalizer, set the SG9800 switches as follows:

EQUALIZER switch: OFF

If you want to bypass the RG1, set the SG9800 switches as follows:

TAPE MONITOR switch: OFF
EQUALIZER switch: ON/RECORDING or ON

SG9800.jpg

I have a Pioneer SG-550 equalizer. Pretty basic. I can't find a wiring or operation diagram for it. I know it has 3 buttons on it- A button marked just "Equalizer" which seems to just activate the settings or bypass them, A button marked "EQ Recording", and a button marked "Tape Monitor." Not sure if from that you'd be able to determine from that if it places the tape loop before or after the EQ settings...

I suspect that the switch functionality of the SG-550 is the same as the SG-9500/9800 so you should be able use the settings that I posted above to determine if the signal is first routed through the RG or the SG.

The SG-550 uses two buttons for the EQ settings while the SG-9500/9800 uses a three position switch. So, I belive that your settings would be as follows:

If you want the signal to go through the RG first, set the buttons as follows:

Equalizer button: On
Tape Monitor button: On
EQ Recording button : Off

If you want the signal to go through the SG first, set the buttons as follows:

Equalizer button: On
Tape Monitor button: On
EQ Recording button : On

If you want to bypass the RG, set the Tape Monitor button to Off

If you want to bypass the SG, set the Equalizer button to Off

Awesome! Thank you for the info. When I get home today, I'll set it up this way and see how it sounds. That helps a lot!

Got it hooked up. Again, thank you for the diagrams and advice. One thing that's interesting to me is how subtle the "enhancement" is on the music. Some media, it seems like there is almost none, but on others, it's definitely noticeable. It's not a night-and-day difference, but it does help the sound of some of the flatter sounding material I have.

Back
Top Bottom