Pioneer RT-1011L

preston1000

New to AK but had to post about a Pioneer RT-1011 I picked up for $84 on the bay. The seller claimed the roller wouldn't engage to the capstan, couldn't get it to play. I went for it and got it, the seller was the original owner too. Got the Pioneer and it looked in near mint condition, just a small chip on the top rear wood panel.

Got it to work and hooked it up to a Sansui au-717 preamp direct coupled, then to a B&K EX4420 and finally to the B&W P5. Put on a 2 track Rolling Stones Aftermath and Holy ****, just stunning. I was blown away by the open stage, every instrument or what ever was going on during the song was very clear. Right now, I have those very cheap RCA cables from the deck to the preamp, but at least I have some Beldens from the Sansui preamp to the B&K EX4420. I can only imagine how it will sound when I hook up Beldens from the Pioneer RT-1011L to the Sansui preamp.

Last edited:
Welcome to AK! :beerchug:

I've had a few Pioneer machines but never the 1011. Currently using a 707 due to the small form factor. I told the Mrs I was downsizing... She thought I meant something else. ;)

Anyway, always nice to have an easy fix on a damn near flawless machine that was bought cheaply. Those 3 things rarely come in the same package.

Congrats on your "new" deck!
The "10-Series" Pioneers are real workhorse decks, pretty much like Otari 4-tracks for the common man :)
Good luck with it !

Hi preston1000,

Welcome to the Reel world Neo!!!!

GPS16
Amen:banana:

Now that I received the Beldens, it made the stage a lot more open and the vocals are very clear.
I sit here thinking, how can the sound get any better? Higher end equipment, more money and I'm certain it will never end. Always trying to capture the perfect sound is addictive.

Last edited:
Welcome to AK. It's a great place.
I have a buddy with the same deck that he bought new. Only issue he's had in all these years is having to replace some noisy transistors which is fairly common in that series. I understand it's a fairly easy fix. Enjoy your "new" deck.

Back
Top Bottom