Pioneer RT 1020H Problem

pioneervato

Lunatic Member
Hey guys. I picked up a very nice 1020H rtr a few days ago that I need some help on. The problem is that the pinch roller solenoid will not engage when "Play" button is engaged. I have the SM for the model so where are the more likely components that go bad from a 44 year old machine that some of you with experience point me towards so I can start reading voltage?

I've already cleaned the pause switch and play switch with De-Oxit but no change. REW and FFW are working fine just won't engage in the play position.

If you push it up manually when you start play, does it stay up?

Rich P

Even with the activation lever in the on position and play button activated the pinch rollers do not stay engaged when I manually let go of the pinch roller assembly. I have about 16 volts going to the solenoid from my measurement to ground from both terminals respectively at the solenoid. So there is power to the solenoid but how much voltage should be at the solenoid?

Do the reels produce torque in Play mode?

How about the capstan?

Do the reel brakes lift in play mode?

Rich P

Last edited:
Do the reels produce torque in Play mode? The reels do not engage or spin at all in play mode.

How about the capstan? Capstan spins when tension arm is engaged in the up position and shuts off as it should when the tension arm is disengaged.

Do the reel brakes lift in play mode? They are unchanged in play mode. The reel brakes engage and disengage accordingly in REW and FFW mode but do nothing in play mode. I do hear what sounds like a relay click when play mode is pressed but nothing happens beyond that. The soft click I hear comes from the control circuit board.

Rich P

Current that pulls the brake solenoids (SL1 & SL2), pinch roller solenoid (SL3), and reel motor relay (RL602, on the control board) all pass down the same path, so your problem is south of the fast mode NC relay contacts of RL-601. Since the brakes lift and reels move in fast modes, the required voltage is available to do the play mode job. Your problem is going to likely be in the control switch logic, as listed in the RL-602 section of the Control Circuit description on or around page 10 of the service manual. Here is the path for current at the tie point for the reel relay, brake solenoid and pinch solenoid. You have an open where there should be a closed circuit: RL601-NC to RL601-COM to S20-NC (Pause) to S20-COM to S18-NO (Play) to S18-COM to S16-NC (Rew) to S16-COM to S17-NC (Ffwd) to S17-COM to D610-common-anode (rectifier on control board).

You have a broken wire, bad solder joint, or bad switch or relay contact in that path.

Rich P

Back
Top Bottom