Pioneer RT-909

danrclem

I've been wanting one of these for a long time and recently had a chance to get one. It is untested (did light up) and the pinch roller rubber is goop and I'm sure the belt is too. I found some on WJOE Radio for a good price. Has anybody used these and what is your opinion of them. The belt comes with (more money) and without installation instructions. Are the instructions helpful or is it easy to figure out? I was told that it did work quite a few years ago when last used. Cosmetically it's in good shape.

I didn't get any reels or hubs so I'll have to buy some of those too. Are there any brands of metal reels that I shouldn't buy? Will any hub work or does it have to be Pioneer?

I love the look of those big reels. Can't wait to get some.

And let me reiterate the caution about losing the plastic ball bearings under each capstan. You will lose them. Someone may have a pair of the Delrin replacements sourced from McMasterCarr if you ask. Otherwise a bag of 100 is just a few dollars and you can sell the rest cause 100 will last a long, long time at 2 per RT-909.

Rich's restore guide is excellent.

I've read that the Pioneer hub adapters aren't very good so I'm going to go in a different direction and find something else. I've read that the Teac TZ-612A is a good adapter so would this be a good way to go? Any other bang for the buck recommendations on hub adapters?

I found some reels. I have one empty Pioneer PR-101 (looks new) and three Maxell 35-180B reels. One of the Maxell looks to be new and the other two are in sealed boxes.

I've read that the Pioneer hub adapters aren't very good so I'm going to go in a different direction and find something else. I've read that the Teac TZ-612A is a good adapter so would this be a good way to go? Any other bang for the buck recommendations on hub adapters?

Hi danrclem, if your goal is "bang for the buck" the Teac hubs are probably the way to go. Everything else worthwhile to be considered will certainly be more costly. (I'm thinking of those nice Akai hubs, or if you really want to go off-scale, scope out the hubs from darklab. About $250 USD a pair)

btw, if you happen to run across some Pioneer hubs cheap, don't necessarily ignore them. No, they don't spin-lock, but they will function fine. I'm referring to hubs in decent shape, not ones that have been abused, of course. I've got a 909 with the original Pioneer hubs, and they work great, no issues.

I found some reels. I have one empty Pioneer PR-101 (looks new) and three Maxell 35-180B reels. One of the Maxell looks to be new and the other two are in sealed boxes.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. ;) Don't overlook the new tapes!

Enjoy!

- Jeff

Do NOT use the WJOE belt, it is the wrong size. Make sure you clean the flywheels and motor pulley with alcohol until nothing comes off on the rag. If you don't get them perfectly clean it will eat tape.

Welcome to the rabbit hole. ;) Don't overlook the new tapes!

Enjoy!

- Jeff

Jeff, are the new tapes better than the NOS? Where's the best place to buy them?

Thanks to all for the advice and links. I used to stare at pictures of RTR's with the big reels when I was in my teens and have always wanted one. It took quite awhile but it'll be worth the wait as soon as I get this one up and running.

Pioneer NAB adapters the 220a version can lose a small tab and become bad. They start out as not good anyway as they don't hold the reel as firmly as others. The Tandberg adapters just like the Pioneer are great a nice tight fit, no looseness noises.

The Teacs are the way to go they stay on the machine and you don't have to flip them over on a reel, remove the reel and flip it instead. They are available from Teac for about 65 shipped on a regular basis but they do run out and reorder. The bay has em new probably bought from Teac and selling for more.

Last edited:
Jeff, are the new tapes better than the NOS? Where's the best place to buy them?

Are they better?...I think so, as they are new vs 40 year old tape. Even though NOS is technically new, it is still 40 years old. However, I'm not saying NOS Maxell is bad, quite the contrary, I love that stuff. I've got about 30 reels of Maxell UD-XL and XLII and I have no concerns with any of my recordings.

Regarding one vs the other in how they sound, I say pick up a new tape. Set your bias and eq switches properly, and then do a bit of recording with some music you are very familiar with. Then do the same for the Maxell. Let your ears decide.

Lastly, there is the ease of purchasing. A couple of clicks and new tape is wending its way to you. The older Maxell, well, basically there's ebay. Or you hunt...or hope...or...put a WTB in AK Bartertown. It all comes down to what is important to you. It shouldn't matter what somebody may claim one way or the other. You only have to please yourself.

As far as where to get new tape, I won't presume to claim a best place, but www.splicit.com is a popular outfit. They carry Capture and RTM (Recording The Masters), as well as splicing kits, empty metal reels, etc.

- Jeff

Back
Top Bottom