Pioneer SA 5500-II hum

vjvarta

I got a hum/buzz on the left channel audible with the vol set to min, very little increase when i turn the volume up. It's the type of hum like the one when the turntable isn't grounded; it's not the same intensity but it's there.

All i could find visually were 2 pins on the tone board belonging to the tape monitor switch. I don't know if this is the way they are supposed to be, maybe someone has an idea.

Attachments

• aaa.jpg
    aaa.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 16
The pins are normal, they just weren't used. Look for cold solder joints and any grounding connections to make sure they're secure and making good contact.

Hey vjjarta.
I do not know if this little antecdote will help you, but I had a similar issue with my SA 6500-II as week.
It sounded like a low frequency hum, that got louder as the volume was reduced, completely attenuating when the volume knob was turned past the 9:00 position.
I recapped the amp myself a few months ago, so I thought that there was only a small chance of an internal problem.

So, I pulled the amp from the system, neatened up the disordered mess of speaker wires, input cables, and (especially) power cables behind the unit, to minimize the chance of coupling among them.

Problem solved.

Back
Top Bottom