Pioneer SX 1050, SX 1250, SX 1980 Comparison

jeffpaletz

AK Subscriber
I've owned my Pioneer SX-1050 since it was new (and I was young). I've never heard an SX-1250 or SX-1980. I'm wondering how these compare to the SX-1050. I'd guess that the SX-1250 sounds the same but what about the SX-1980? I'm tempted to hunt down an SX-1250 and an SX-1980 but I'm wondering it I should.

I'd appreciate others posting their opinions. Have any of you heard all 3 of these receivers?

Thanks.

I wouldn't bother.
I've owned all three and found it to be a toss-up between the1050 and 1250.
Prices on the 1980 are insane and the x50 series is built better and sounds better than the x80 series to me. (X80 does look better though...)

I can't tell the difference between the 1050 and 1250 at reasonable volumes. Of course, BOTH are capable of unreasonable volumes. I think the 1250 can simply make your ears bleed a bit more. The power amp is bigger, but everything in the pre-amp is pretty much the same. That's gonna make 'em sound the same.

I never touched a 1980.

I currently have the 1980 due to a long term obsession with its size and looks. I have had 5 1250's in total, 3 of them rebuilt and the 1250 to me has a much more natural sound. I am not a audiophile so I do not understand all the lingo but just a more open and better all around sound.

I currently have the 1980 due to a long term obsession with its size and looks. I have had 5 1250's in total, 3 of them rebuilt and the 1250 to me has a much more natural sound. I am not a audiophile so I do not understand all the lingo but just a more open and better all around sound.

Now THAT is funny. Dude.. You are in denial.

(keywords; long term obsession )

it's ok..

Hey, the 1980 in my opinion is one of the best, if not the best receiver designs produced through the 70's. At least from a cosmetic standpoint.

Oh--I agree , Just found it amusing the half dozen 1250s and now the 1980 followed by the disclaimer 'I'm not a .." ..and then the high post count. Guess it just hit my funny bone.
It is totally all good.

I have owned all three models, as stated in earlier posts, the 1250 and 1050 were a toss up as far as sound. The 1980 was more of a disapointment, it sure was a beauty, but the sound was nothing to get excited about. Don't get me wrong though, they all were enjoyed, and everyone has different tastes.

I own the both the 1050 and 1250.

At lower normal volumes their darn close but higher up the 1250 takes off more.

Never heard a 1980 or 1280.

Sharing my experiences, I have both the SX-1250 and SX-1980. I compared the preamp sections with Sennheiser HD-600 headphones (source: Onkyo C7030, Dire Straits Brothers In Arms), and speaker comparisons switching back and forth using Polk Audio RTi12s.

Both receivers sounded identical to me regardless of volume level. My SX-1250 is fully recapped, and with the 1980 only the amp section is. The cleanest and highest quality sound came via plugging the HD-600s directly into the C7030.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
I know I run counter to the opinion of many here, but for me, a fully recapped and restored SX-1980 sounds just a whisker better than a recapped/restored SX-1250. The 1980 had the better sounding phono stage, too (IMO of course). Both sound excellent though! The 1980 MUST have it's power supply board rebuilt, though, even if one doesn't want to recap the whole thing, whereas a 1250 can be used stock. It's also much cheaper to get a 1250, so unless you want to pony up for a 1980 because of looks (I did!), the 1250 is the way to go.

I've owned my Pioneer SX-1050 since it was new (and I was young). I've never heard an SX-1250 or SX-1980. I'm wondering how these compare to the SX-1050. I'd guess that the SX-1250 sounds the same but what about the SX-1980? I'm tempted to hunt down an SX-1250 and an SX-1980 but I'm wondering it I should.

I'd appreciate others posting their opinions. Have any of you heard all 3 of these receivers?

Thanks.

You really would need to sample both of them yourself to answer that.
There are some who actually prefer the sound of some smaller units versus the large ones.

Thanks.
It’s been a few years, but I’m wondering what you decided to do. I have a Pioneer SX-1050 and like you, I bought it new when I was younger. It has been sitting around not getting used much at all for nearly 30 years and I would like to put it back to use. I doubt I’d considering trading it for a 1250, but it’d be good to know whether you got around to comparing them.

Would appreciate any good recommendations for a trustworthy restorer that likes to work on vintage Pioneers.

Working on and fixing gear put me in love with the SX-1250.

I do not care for the SX-x80 series at all.
They look great, they sound great but inside, they are just less than.

I had s shot at a 1980 once, pretty cheap by today’s values. I walked away.

I seem to be collecting 1250s
I feel they are the vintage Pioneer sweet spot.

Oh, and all the SX-x50 are nice. Each level just a bit better than the last. The 1050 and 1250 difference is only in power and internal build. The stuff inside the 1250 is nice to work on.

Back
Top Bottom