Pioneer SX-535 works fine but no lights

ekimlive

Hello All,

I'm a bit of a beginner here—I had a sound issue on this (my girlfriend's) receiver, so I opened it up, did a basic DeOxit job (as per the super-helpful "The Idiot's Guide To Using DeOxit" thread) and replaced the problem fuse. The receiver sounds great now, but now there are absolutely no lights—you wouldn't be able to tell the thing's on unless you look at the depressed power button. What went wrong? And is this a relatively easy fix? The only unnecessary thing I did during this procedure AFAIK was removing the faceplate, which I easily unscrewed and rescrewed.

The sound is the important thing, but a lit-up vintage receiver is a nice bit of eye candy, isn't it?

Thanks in advance for anyone's help!

Check the fuses again (3 amp ON the BOARD is the lighting circuit) , handling and moving these old units can aggravate old weak filaments in lamps, ESPECIALLY if done with the lamps illuminated.
The filaments break, and can short out the circuit. Plus there's always the pinched wire... inspect and backtrack everything you did.

which fuse did you replace?

Markthefixer, thanks for pointing out the lighting circuit—it seems that when I replaced the 4 amp fuses surrounding that 3 amp, the clamps holding that fuse were really loose, even though I hadn't even touched it.

Such an easy fix that I feel a little silly! My girlfriend's psyched, though... so thanks again!

Write this down in your little Black book of easy fixes. (Don't let G-friend see it, tho!) "Tighten all fuse clamps when replacing 1 or all fuses." Easy fix, and in your G-friends eye's you can do anything. But getting to the blood letting, we've all BTDT at one time or another (some of us more than a few times). Just don't let it get to you.

Larry

Back
Top Bottom