Pioneer sx-636 service manual needed

harleyrider

Just curious if someone has or knows were i can find a service manual for this little receiver SX- 636 ?

I have down loaded the SM from hifiengine but its not the best quality and you really cant read the print on alot of it . :scratch2:

SX-636 question....Just recapped this receiver and all is working --- just noticed the large resistor on the power supply board is very hot---is that normal---? I can touch if for maybe 3 seconds max.... If not normal, what should I check?

Thanks....
Joe

Large resistors are supposed to get hot. Measure the DC voltage drop across it, E squared/R to calculate the power, see what rating it should be in the parts list, should not above for sure, usually 50-75% is safe.

Tell us the voltages referenced to ground on BOTH sides of the resistor.

R3 (150 ohms 5 watts) should only be dissipating 1/2 watt according to the voltages on the schematic. (43 - 34.5)**2 / 150 = 0.48w
R2 (22 ohms, 1 watt) shouldn't even be getting warm.(53 - 42.5)**2 / 22 = 0.011w
Q3 should be shedding 1.22 watts (13v draws 57mA with 8.5v drop across 150 ohms) for the 13v supply. ( 34.5 - 13) * current of 57mA

Basically R3 is intended to shed heat rather than q3 to "make" the regulated 13v.

Kind of new to this "messing around" with receivers---Did an SX-434 awhile back and was able to get it going again, so I thought I would try another to see if I just got lucky. The 636 functioned, but seemed to struggle, so recapped it...found many caps OOT--- Working smoother now--- Yes, R3 is the resistor I was speaking about---I figured hot was normal, but was concerned that maybe it was too hot.... I'll have to take a few measures this evening and see what comes up--- I don't understand all the math above--will have to study more.... Thanks for your insite....

Don't worry about not understanding the math I still don't understand it either. I can't rationalize letters into numbers (algebra and geometry), and I go into Vaporlock. There are enough EE's and ME's and math whizzes that you really don't have to worry about it right now. Eventually getting one of them to sit down with you and learning the in's and out's of Ohms Laws would be another thread with a unit under repair. Resistors will run hot depending on their rating and how close to or over that rating the circuit is actually pushing it. For instance on a FISHER 400-500C-800C there is a 1/2Kohm 7W resistor that runs hot enough to lift fingerprints. And it's running at a little under 4W but rated for 7W. Using a 10W reduces the overall heat as the replacement is larger, but it's still dissipating the same amount. About the only thing the change makes is that you have a slightly larger resistor running the same wattage but is a slight bit cooler. In this case with it being in the POWER SUPPLY and it's fairly crowded in there, a diminished heat source helps the overall power supply resistance to heat.

In the case of the 636, take voltage readings (referenced to chassis ground (black lead to clean,shiny, chassis part) and post all of them here. We'll be able to tell you how much wattage the resistor is dissipating in heat. If it's within spec., the heat is ok. If it's not, then something else is causing the resistor to overload on heat dissipation.

Back
Top Bottom