Pioneer SX-737 or Marantz 2250B?

Jnevill

Super Tweeter
I just replaced my trusty, beloved SX-737 with a 2250B, it's a beautiful piece of equipment, I paid (probably) too much for it, but it is really nice and sounds great. Yet I still still miss my SX.

Maybe I'll use this opportunity to save up and dump some cash into recapping/aligning the Pioneer, then do an honest comparison between the two.

If I was giving one away, and you had to choose which one you wanted, which would it be? And why?

I like the Pioneer better because I am just a Pioneer guy, always have been.

You?

Having owned both, I prefer the Pioneer's sound a tad better. I liked looking at the Marantz more though... I even had the Marantz rebuilt. Wasn't my cup of tea.

On the other hand, I have owned 2 Marantz 2230's that I really liked. One was recapped and the other stock. Both of those sounded incredible.

I believe that every machine sounds different. I am running a Concept 7.5D at the moment and like it better than any receiver I've ever had. Who would have thought?

Keep the one that sounds best and then try out others. If you keep a steady rotation going, you'll have a blast and never downgrade! That's what makes the hobby fun. Don't make the mistake and think that you've found your last receiver.

Looking at your signature, I can see that you have a 950. Why are you even bothering with these other machines?! :)

I'd keep the 737. It is (imo) a great sounding sleeper in the Pioneer line. Plus, I'm not crazy about the Marantz "B" models. Just a personal preference though, not dogging them.

My easy answer would be to keep both. I've long been a fan of Pioneer, but Marantz just has an unmistakable attraction imo. Difficult decision to be sure.

I've had at least a dozen Marantz receivers in my lifetime and my all-time favorite has been the 2250B. I presently have a 2250B, 2250, and 2240B. All were reconditioned at Play It Again Sam's in Lakewood, Ohio. The 2250B is SUPERB!

When I replaced a Marantz, don't remember which one but it was an integrated amp. with a Pioneer sx1050, I was a little surprised at how much music information had been obscured in the Marantz. Especially in the mid band. All sorts of background vocal and instruments appeared out of the background and really improved the music.

Obviously, you can't make a case out of that.

Keep the 737. Great Midline unit. As stated in a previous post, a great "SLEEPER", especially after it's been rehabbed. Ain't getting rid of mine anytime soon. If I was to take a receiver with me "underground", it would be a SX-737.

I'm not familar with the Marantz, But I have allways loved the Look, Feel, and Sound of Pioneers SX 737. A Friend of mine had one back in the day driving a pair of HPM 100 Speakers. What a Great combo. IMO the 737 is one of their best Value Recievers. A Clean Uncluttered Look, not too big or Heavy, Excelent SQ, An Excellent Tuner Section and enough power to drive nearly any speaker to Very Satisfying Levels. I'll tell you it sounded WAY more powerfull than 35 wpc driving those HPM 100's.

Last edited:
I've always loved the look and build of the Marantz receivers but never cared for their sound. I've had lots of them and they are all gone. Someone on AK once wrote "Marantz receivers sound like my dad's stereo" which sums it up for me.

I would get the Pioneer re-capped/align and keep it. To do a true comparison you should do the Marantz too. But it's still going to sound like a Marantz.

I have owned a few Pioneers and currently still have an SX-780 and SX-880. The Sx-737 is a nicer receiver for sure in some respects. I also own two Marantz 2238B's and find them to have a smoother and detailed sound compared to the Pioneer units. And at only 38 watts per channel the Marantz sounds more like 50 to 60 watts in both the Pioneer and Sony STR-7065 receivers I own.

Also, the Marantz FM stereo seems to be very clean and detailed. I'm not sure about the SX-737, but the other Pioneer units I've owned had rather noisey phono stages in them compared to both eht Marantz and Sony receivers I own. But if you do not plan on using a turntable that would not be important.

Lastly, both Pioneer and Marantz 1970's receivers are easier to replace components than some others and because of sheer number of units sold back in the 70's have available parts, but the Marantz units seem to use more generic or substitution parts in most cases (replacement lamps, transistors, etc). Check Ebay and take a look. I worked selling all the major brands in the early to mid 70s besides my "day" job as a customer service engineer. We sold Sansui, Pioneer, Sony, Marantz and more. Marantz was always viewed as more of a high end product than the others.

The 2250B also in my opinion, would be just as beefy if not more so than the Pioneer power wise. And I think the Marantz has a bit better build quality and appeal. Think Marantz=BMW and Pioneer=Toyota. . . well, maybe not that stark, but you get the idea. Also. . . the horizontal "Gyro Touch" tuning control is a delight in itself. Who can resist it.

Oh. .. all in my opinion.

Last edited:
Having owned both, I prefer the Pioneer's sound a tad better. I liked looking at the Marantz more though... I even had the Marantz rebuilt. Wasn't my cup of tea.

On the other hand, I have owned 2 Marantz 2230's that I really liked. One was recapped and the other stock. Both of those sounded incredible.

I believe that every machine sounds different. I am running a Concept 7.5D at the moment and like it better than any receiver I've ever had. Who would have thought?

Keep the one that sounds best and then try out others. If you keep a steady rotation going, you'll have a blast and never downgrade! That's what makes the hobby fun. Don't make the mistake and think that you've found your lastJ receiver.

Looking at your signature, I can see that you have a 950. Why are you even bothering with these other machines?! :)

The 950 is my main unit, it owns the living room, it has been recapped and sounds bee-you-tee-full, especially through my upgraded HPM's, it is my baby. These others are pulling bedroom duty.

I feel no need to ever upgrade the 950, it does everything well. Especially vinyl!

Back
Top Bottom