Pioneer SX-737 Re-Cap

Young46

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I purchased a Pioneer SX-737 off the local craigslist a few weeks ago and when I powered it up (with the DBT) the protection relay cuts in and out and loses sound but not power. No fuses are blowing and the DBT doesn't show any change as it cuts in and out. I'm using a 75W Halogen bulb in the DBT...all I have at the moment. After I powered it up I connected it to some sacrificial speakers and got audio from both channels and it would be ok for a few minutes and then start acting up so the problem is intermittent. I read some of the other threads and compiled a parts list based on those threads. It is attached and any and all help with this project is appreciated. I've already done a similar project on my SX-636 so I do have some experience removing and replacing the caps and transistors. I'm also capable with a soldering iron.

Attachments

• SX-737 Parts List for AK Forum.pdf
    54.2 KB · Views: 172
I apologize to anyone who might be offended with the way I started my first thread. I am a fairly new member and am not familiar with all the protocol. I should have introduced myself before starting my thread.

I am a almost 70 year old member and am retired from work. About a year ago I got interested in vintage stereo equipment. I had a Pioneer SX-636 when I was a young man and so I started looking for one on craigslist and eBay. I found one in Oregon and purchased it. I was totally ignorant of old vintage equipment so far as how they should be treated on startup and some of the problems that come with them because of age. When I received the receiver I plugged it in and started listening to music. It worked ok for a couple of weeks. I started to get intermittent loud pop and cracking sounds from both speakers. I started searching the internet for information and discovered the wonderful Audiokarma site. I started reading some of the threads and learned from them what might be causing the problems with my receiver. I took the advice and ordered the parts from the list compiled by Markthefixer. A couple of weeks later and I was back in business. I replaced a lot (not all) of the electrolytic caps and the problematic transistors. It works fine now and is clear, no noise, hissing or cracking, popping. Just good clear sound. I later managed to pick up a pair of KLH model 6's, a pair of AR-4x's, and some KEF Chorale III speakers. I had to rework the crossovers on the KLH's and the AR's. Being retired I needed a good hobby to keep me busy so I started looking for more vintage gear which brings me to where I am now with the SX-737 that is in need of work. As stated, it powers up but the protection relay kicks out and loses sound but not power. It is an intermittent problem and I've read the threads on AK that address this type problem and am ready to tackle mine. I hope I can get help from some of the AK members during the process of my rebuild. I am really going to need it. I admit to not being very knowledgeable about electronics. I do understand how to install the transistors and caps on the board. I am a pipefitter by trade and do not have any issues with soldering. My biggest need (not the only need) is help with testing and what tests to run. I am completely ignorant on how to do a test. I have a DMM (Fluke 117) and I built a Dim Bulb Tester.

That's pretty much me, an old man looking for help in rebuilding and enjoying the vintage equipment that I grew up with.

Thanking everyone in advance for your help and understanding

Young46

WELCOME to the :eek::crazy:Madhouse:confused::music:!!! A lot of us are retired, and want to re-live our youth.

As for the 737, if you haven't got the manual, get it. It's gonna be your favorite reading material for a while. Bookmark this link for most anything PIONEER. If there is a Regular Definition and a HiDef version, get the HIDEF. Download everything on the 737. The rest is in no particular order but most of what ican think of is there. There's bound to be more, and others will pitch in. Use an incandescent bulb vs the Halogen. I made mine with a 3way socket, and have a jumper plug so i can preset the wattage on any of the 3 wattages (50-100-150) Works well and I use it on both tube and S.S. gear.

BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE, CLEAN ALL POT's , and SWITCHES with Caig DeOxit. Multiple application cycles may be indicated depending on how dirty the unit is. Test after cleaning. Faderlube after testing and either it's working or not.

In the manual is the amplifier adjustment. The manual is wrong. See this thread for the info and incorporate it into your manual.

Do the BIAS and OFFSET checks next. If out of spec, adjust using the upgraded instructions. Then listen for a while to see if the problem still exists then get yourself some transistors

There are some Trouble prone transistors in PIONEERS of that era starting with the x3x series (434,535,636,737,838,939, and the 1010.) The #1 culprit is a transistor in the amplifier, 2sc1451. It's encased in a circular heatsink., One or TWO per channel. The preliminary symptoms are what I describe as Rice Krispies. And it gets worse. The 1451's WILL DIE and when they do pretty much figure on rebuilding the amp board. The 2sc1451 is #1 on the PIONEER FORUM TOP TEN WANTED LIST. It's that bad of a transistor at this age (40+). Replace with the Fairchild KSC3503.

Tied for the #2 spot on the TOP TEN LIST are kissing cousin transistors. 2sa725 and 2sa726. They are almost used interchangeably. Same symptoms as the 1451 but not as bad WHEN they DO die. Replace with the Fairchild KSA992.

The 2sc1312& 1313 are troublesome but not as much as the 2sa725/726. However they are the complimentary transistors to the 725/726, and should be replaced. FAIRCHILD KSC1845

Check the boards to see if anyone has been in it and recapped it. If not This thread with a list of models with Parts lists will help. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-recap-lists-sticky-suggestion.457663/ Don't just order what's on the list. IT needs to be vetted. Copy the list here and request a vetting. Mark the Fixer does electronics repairs on audio gear now as a living and has been at it for going on 35-40 years or more. He keeps regularly updated spreadsheets with BOM lists and can check the parts list here and make recommendations on obsolete or out of stock parts. There are others that can do this but most every list out there on audiokarma in the PIONEER Section originated with MARK.

If no work has been done to it, the best thing you can do for it, is to replace all the troubleprone transistors, and do a TOTAL RECAP. This means EVERY SINGLE ELECTROLYTIC, and any tantalum caps in it (maybe 1 or 2). Including the Main Filter caps, but they can be done last unless they are physically leaking from the vents in the bottom plate of the cap (in the center.). Electrolytic caps today of the equivalent Value and voltage, are 1/4 to 1/5 the the size they were in 1974-76 when the 737 was made. You CAN use film caps in place of most electrolytics that are less than 4uf (old mfd) provided there is room. Film caps tend to get very big over 1uf. But they don't dry out like electrolytics. So if you pass this to your grandkids, they won't need to replace the film caps.

When the need to lift a board comes along, DO NOT EVER UNWRAP the posts the wire i attached to. The wirewrap is a special airfree connection and takes a special tool and a lot of experience to use. UN-BIND the wire bundles, and you'll get plenty of slack to flip over most any board (except the tuner board which will only come up 1/2 way. If the board needs to be removed or changed, then unsolder the actual post from the board, and mark the post/wire 1st. Some posts have barbs on the end to grab the board so be careful you don't rip it out and create a larger hole.

I would start with the POWER SUPPLY BOARD. (Don't forget the Zener Diodes on this board. Just replace them. They take a beating.) Recap and replace the transistors and Zener diodes. New Heatsink grease is MANDATORY for those attached to heatsinks. Otherwise when they heat up they die. Having Clean power of the correct voltage to the amps, and other boards is the best way to start.

Then do the protection board, replace the relay (don't bother trying to clean the contacts, they'll just carbonize in 6 months to a year), RELAY REPLACEMENT THREAD HERE, then work on the AMPLIFIER board, Tone Control board, and eq boards working backwards from the amp to the inputs. Don't forget the Microphone board. It's connected to the EQ board and can cause all kinds of problems.

Get a can or two of CAIG De-Oxit D5 or DN5, Caig Faderlube F-5. The D5/DN5 is the contact cleaner, and the F5 is the cleaner/lubricant. Just using the D5/DN5 and no F-5 will cause gouging of the carbon track in the pots due to lack of lubricant on the tracks. Then you have a non responsive pot. Basically, if the handle or knob goes in-out, up-down, or Round and Round, it gets De-Oxit. There is a good thread on using De-Oxit for the best results. called "The Idiot's Guide to using De-Oxit (re-visited)!" Suggest you bookmark all of these threads.

Search function in AK is kind of limited. BUT if you type in SX-737, SX737, SX 737 and have a starting date of 5 years previous you should get a whole bunch of threads on repairs, rehab's, etc. for the 737.

I did my SX-737 in 2013, and used Marks recommendations all the way. What you are hearing now is a tired worn out 737. When you get done you'll have what amounts to a new 737 under the hood. And it will sound VERY MUCH BETTER. I started with a 434 in 75 when I was in the Navy. Lusted over a 737 for the next 39 years and finally got one, after having a 1010, and keeping a 939. My feelings are if you want to keep up or beat the Joneses, go for the 1010 just for the bragging rights. If you are more interested in the sound of the music, the 737 is the best of the bunch. Granted it's 35Watts per channel, but for functional features per $, it beats everything in the x3x series. The 939 is just a bigger 737 with a few changes in features. From my ears they all sound the same. The bigger units have more headroom for big dynamics, but the 737 has some too. It's mid sized so it'll fit almost everywhere, and it'll drive fairly in-efficient speakers, but like with every midsized unit, the more efficient the speaker, the better! And it's a simple well put together unit aesthetically. I use mine with Sansui SP-2500's (98db) and I don't have to crank it up to 4 before the windows are rattling. The one feature PIONEER missed, (and they really screwed themselves here) is the PRE-OUT / MAIN-IN Jacks between the preamp section and the amplifiers. And the ONE Feature PIONEER dropped after using it only on the 737 & 838 was the Recording switch setup on the front so you could record directly from FM or other sources while listening to another. They should have put it on more models.

And one final thing. Pictures here of problem areas are worth more than ten thousand words. So take plenty of pictures, different angles, and with good lighting. But don't get ham handed with the lighting as a lot of detail can be washed out.

So what are you waiting for. Get with it, have fun. Ask questions if you get stuck. AND............................................................................

:needpics:

Larry

Last edited:
Thank you Larry for responding and for all the good advice! I downloaded the manual from the site when I first bought the receiver.

I attached a parts list on my first post of this thread for vetting. When I get the green light and any corrections I will get the parts and get started.

I will post photos as I go along.

Frank

Frank: Parts list looks good to me. I would make a suggestion and ask you to add the transistors on the Power Supply, plus the Zener diodes. PIONEER tended to really cook these power supplies, by installing them on the bottom and upside down. Instant and sustained component BBQ. Even tho the 737's P.S. is on top, it's still somewhat marginal so replacing the zener's and transistors is a good idea. Plus the new ones are more robust and will stand up to and shake off pretty much anything the 737 can load it down with.

The Protection board TransistorQ6 & Q7 needs to be replaced. you;ll also need to install a 1n4007 flyback diode between pins 9 and 10 on the protection board. Banded side to Pin 10. When the unit shuts down the relay field collapses and the voltage backs up into Q7. This causes an eventual breakdown in the transistor and failure of the relay to engage. PIONEER added this in later models.

Here's the Protection board stuff. Prices are old, and now probably at least double.
awm-025 Q6 2sc945 512-KSD1616ALTA to-92 ecb 60v 1a 0.75w 160mhz 135-400hfe $0.09
awm-025 q7 2sc1384 512-KSC2690AOS to-126 ecb 120/a160 1.2a 20w 155mhz 35-320hfe $0.38

add:
512-1n4004 conventional rectifier 1a 400v $0.22 ea

POWER SUPPLY PARTS

again the prices are old. But it looks like this is the list you accessed to make your list,which is the one i used in early 2014

SX-737 POWER SUPPLY BOARD PARTS LIST---Transistors and DIODES.

mouser.com parts numbers:
Q1: 512-KSC2073TU npn to-220 bce 150v 1.5a 25w 4mhz 40-140hfe $0.54
Q2: 512-KSC1845EBU (ln)to-92 ecb 120v .05a .5w 100mhz 150-800hfe $0.06 ea
D9: 512-1N5244B Fairchild 14 V, 0.5W Zener $0.05
526-NTE303 1 gram thermal compound $1.77
534-4673 to-220 mica insulator $0.14 (IF you find one when you remove the D313 from the heat sink).

For completeness and posterity:
To get the rest of the parts for a completely new board, get two q1's (another's for q3), two Q2's (another's for q4) and :
D8: 512-1N5243B Fairchild 13 V, 0.5W Zener $0.05
d5, d6, d7 512-1n4004 conventional rectifier 1a 400v $0.06 ea
d1, d2, d3, d4 512-1N5404 conventional rectifier 3a 400v $0.19 ea

Comments in the P.S. area are from Mark The Fixer, not me.

All part #'s are mouser so building a BOM will be fairly easy.

GO AHEAD and add these to the Excel sheet and post the revised list. On the obsolete parts with alternates, make the alternate the primary andnote that the original is obsolete as of (insert date). Then go ahead and order.

Larry

Last edited:
Hey Frank, welcome to the forum and good luck! I'm a little younger than you but I'm sort of in the same boat, finding a nice hobby in restoring old stereos and speakers is really enjoyable and a good learning experience. I'm working with a SX-636 that had problems from the get go.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I'd rather let those with a lot more experience give you the best advice on testing voltages and connections.

Diagnosing problems is probably the hardest thing since even the smartest people here are only able to make educated guesses with the information they get from pics and the person in front of the amp. One missing piece of info can throw off the whole process. That's why for the hobbyists like me the "shotgun" approach of just replacing all the problematic parts is less frustrating in the end.

I have a question for Larry (great posts!) while we're on the subject of replacing parts etc., and I think you'll find it useful too. Or maybe you can tell me..

The main power capacitors have wirewound posts that connect to the bottom. I have my replacement caps, how do you get those posts onto the new ones??

The main power capacitors have wirewound posts that connect to the bottom. I have my replacement caps, how do you get those posts onto the new ones??

Are you talking about the type of connectors that came on the replacement capacitors? If so, there are several kinds of termination on caps that you select when ordering: radial leads, axial leads, (radial) snap-in (short, stiff, curled leads, screw, (terminal) lug... Perhaps others.

I choose the big caps based on best characteristics and then, if they differ from the OEM style, fabricate something from there to work. E.g. Adding stiff wire to elongate the short snap-in leads so I have enough room to reattach the old wires.

Unless you have the special tools, and the knowledge and experience using them to wirewrap the posts, and provided the new cap leads are sufficient to wirewrap, your best bet is to cut the wire off flush at the post and solder it to the new cap. The Main filter caps on PIONEERS appear to have been special order with longer leads so the wire wrap machines could do the wirewrap without problems. Depending on the type of connections on the new cap, there are as many ways to connect them as there are guys doing the work. A lot of times I cut off the end of a crimp style connector and crimp the new cap to the leads, then solder them together. If a bypass cap is used in larger units, it can be crimped in at the same time. Historical accuracy isn't necessary, but physical and electrical integrity is.

Larry

Last edited:
Frank: Parts list looks good to me. I would make a suggestion and ask you to add the transistors on the Power Supply, plus the Zener diodes. PIONEER tended to really cook these power supplies, by installing them on the bottom and upside down. Instant and sustained component BBQ. Even tho the 737's P.S. is on top, it's still somewhat marginal so replacing the zener's and transistors is a good idea. Plus the new ones are more robust and will stand up to and shake off pretty much anything the 737 can load it down with.

The Protection board TransistorQ6 & Q7 needs to be replaced. you;ll also need to install a 1n4007 flyback diode between pins 9 and 10 on the protection board. Banded side to Pin 10. When the unit shuts down the relay field collapses and the voltage backs up into Q7. This causes an eventual breakdown in the transistor and failure of the relay to engage. PIONEER added this in later models.

Here's the Protection board stuff. Prices are old, and now probably at least double.
awm-025 Q6 2sc945 512-KSD1616ALTA to-92 ecb 60v 1a 0.75w 160mhz 135-400hfe $0.09
awm-025 q7 2sc1384 512-KSC2690AOS to-126 ecb 120/a160 1.2a 20w 155mhz 35-320hfe $0.38

add:
512-1n4004 conventional rectifier 1a 400v $0.22 ea

POWER SUPPLY PARTS

again the prices are old. But it looks like this is the list you accessed to make your list,which is the one i used in early 2014

SX-737 POWER SUPPLY BOARD PARTS LIST---Transistors and DIODES.

mouser.com parts numbers:
Q1: 512-KSC2073TU npn to-220 bce 150v 1.5a 25w 4mhz 40-140hfe $0.54
Q2: 512-KSC1845EBU (ln)to-92 ecb 120v .05a .5w 100mhz 150-800hfe $0.06 ea
D9: 512-1N5244B Fairchild 14 V, 0.5W Zener $0.05
526-NTE303 1 gram thermal compound $1.77
534-4673 to-220 mica insulator $0.14 (IF you find one when you remove the D313 from the heat sink).

For completeness and posterity:
To get the rest of the parts for a completely new board, get two q1's (another's for q3), two Q2's (another's for q4) and :
D8: 512-1N5243B Fairchild 13 V, 0.5W Zener $0.05
d5, d6, d7 512-1n4004 conventional rectifier 1a 400v $0.06 ea
d1, d2, d3, d4 512-1N5404 conventional rectifier 3a 400v $0.19 ea

Comments in the P.S. area are from Mark The Fixer, not me.

All part #'s are mouser so building a BOM will be fairly easy.

GO AHEAD and add these to the Excel sheet and post the revised list. On the obsolete parts with alternates, make the alternate the primary andnote that the original is obsolete as of (insert date). Then go ahead and order.

Larry
Thanks Larry!
I revised the spreadsheet. Please take a look at it. I hope I understood everything you said to do. I apologize in advance if I didn't. All the prices are current as of today at Mouser. I believe only the silicone thermal heatsink compound is from Parts Express. Everything I found on Mouser was considerably more expensive. Sorry I am moving at a snails pace...lots of things going on at the house. I should be able to pick up the pace soon and post some photos.

Frank

Attachments

• SX-737 Parts List for AK Forum pgs R1-PDF.pdf
    53.4 KB · Views: 155
Hey Frank, welcome to the forum and good luck! I'm a little younger than you but I'm sort of in the same boat, finding a nice hobby in restoring old stereos and speakers is really enjoyable and a good learning experience. I'm working with a SX-636 that had problems from the get go.

I wish I could be more helpful, but I'd rather let those with a lot more experience give you the best advice on testing voltages and connections.

Diagnosing problems is probably the hardest thing since even the smartest people here are only able to make educated guesses with the information they get from pics and the person in front of the amp. One missing piece of info can throw off the whole process. That's why for the hobbyists like me the "shotgun" approach of just replacing all the problematic parts is less frustrating in the end.

I have a question for Larry (great posts!) while we're on the subject of replacing parts etc., and I think you'll find it useful too. Or maybe you can tell me..

Thank you for joining in. I replaced some of the caps and transistors on my SX-636 earlier this year. It sounds great!

Thanks Larry!
I revised the spreadsheet. Please take a look at it. I hope I understood everything you said to do. I apologize in advance if I didn't. All the prices are current as of today at Mouser. I believe only the silicone thermal heatsink compound is from Parts Express. Everything I found on Mouser was considerably more expensive. Sorry I am moving at a snails pace...lots of things going on at the house. I should be able to pick up the pace soon and post some photos.

Frank
I want to be clear that the SX-737 parts rebuild list I have posted is a work in progress and is in no way intended to replaced any existing parts lists that are posted on this site for the 737, especially the one posted (and updated in 2015) by MTF. I am just an amateur trying to get my receiver rebuilt so I can enjoy it. I would like to say that during my search of the forums I have run across more than one parts list. It seems that the list I referred to posted by MTF is the go to list however even though it was updated by him in 2015 there are a couple of parts that are obsolete. Also there is a forum that addresses Pioneer caps lists and that is where I found the one by MTF. Is there a fast way for these parts lists to be identified so site users could be easily steered in the right direction from the start? I am not being critical. It just seems that with all the knowledge on the site that a quick way to find the most current list would be a great benefit to all. Also, what would be the best way for these lists to remain current? Parts go obsolete and for those of us who are not so knowledgable are left (unintentionally) in the dark for a substitute. I know it takes a lot of time to research the parts. I know because I've done it. All those numbers drive me crazy. Thanks, a big thanks to those who give of their time and themselves to help people like me!

Frank

Thanks Larry!

Frank
I did my rebuild and am posting the parts list spreadsheet of the parts I used. I also did the following from the advice I got from AK Subscriber larryderouin
-Get the manual. I did…downloaded it from the site.
-Use an incandescent bulb in my DBT. If you can believe it I have not been able to find a 70 or 100 watt incandescent bulb. I have looked several places but can’t find one. I used the Halogen bulb which is all I have.
-Clean all pots and switches. I did.
Do the BIAS and OFFSET checks. I am ready to receive my lumps for not following this advice. OUCH!
-Check the boards for prior repair or work. I did and there had not been any repairs or other work done.
-The parts needed to rebuild. I didn't exactly follow the advice but I did read the prior threads and HOPE I chose the right parts. I’ve included a spreadsheet for help in determining if I did the right thing. I replaced all the parts with the ones on the list attached to this reply so please disregard any other list I posted...apologize if I've caused confusion
-I researched the wrapped wire connections and knew not to unwrap them from the the posts but thank you for reminding not to.

During the rebuild I tested each board after replacing the parts and everything seemed fine. After the rebuild of board air-057 though the relay stopped tripping on and off but now I have hum in my speakers from both channels that gets louder as the volume is increased. I have attempted to do the adjustment on VR1-4 but don't much response when adjusting. I need help and deserve any lumps coming my way for not following all the advice. I wanted to hear the music again and got in a hurry. Sorry! I guess I just don't know how to perform the bias and offset properly.

Frank

Attachments

• SX-737 Rebuild Parts List .pdf
    66.9 KB · Views: 72
Remember NOT to use the bias adjusting technique in the manual, use the one Larry provided above.

Remember NOT to use the bias adjusting technique in the manual, use the one Larry provided above.
Thanks, I used the bias adjusting technique that Larry provided. My meter reads 0.01 Vdc when testing and will not adjust up or down. I get nothing at all from vr1-4. Oh and I said I replaced all the parts but I did not replace the protection relay yet. I was waiting to do that last but didn't when I got the hum.

Does your meter have a milli volt range? What meter are you using. hum or not, moving new pots should do something to that meter. Also, does the hum occur on all inputs?

Double check the orientation of the replacement transistors on the last board that created the hum.( did u download their data sheets??) The new transistors mostly have different lead pinouts. Plugging them in based on how the body faced is not conducive to getting sound.

Does your meter have a milli volt range? What meter are you using. hum or not, moving new pots should do something to that meter. Also, does the hum occur on all inputs?
Yes, I have a Fluke 117 meter. I didn't connect any components to the receiver...just switched on the tuner. Please see my reply to larryderouin's reply.

Double check the orientation of the replacement transistors on the last board that created the hum.( did u download their data sheets??) The new transistors mostly have different lead pinouts. Plugging them in based on how the body faced is not conducive to getting sound.
I went back to the garage after I posted my reply and did some voltage readings. The readings I got did not look good in comparison to the readings I should get according to a post I read from markthefixer. I then started double checking the orientation of the replacement transistors on air-057 (the last board I worked on) and found the problem. It was late in the day when I finished up this board and I guess I was just in a hurry. Not only did I have the orientation wrong on Q1, I had the 1845 transistor in that slot:yikes: and the 2073 in the Q2 slot:wtf:. In a hurry, working upside down I made a serious error. I did download the data sheets. For the benefit of all who may read this, be sure you download the data sheets for all transistors. Thank you for bringing up that subject. I switched them out and did the adjustment and readings again.
Here are the readings I got off awr-057:
Pin 1 = 0.00v
Pin 2 = 0.00v

Pin 7 = -38.08v
Pin 9 = 36.59v
Pin 10 = -36.13v
Pin 12 = -13.57v
Pin 13 = -13.54v
Pin 14 = 35.26v
Pin 15 = 30.86v
Pin 16 = 30.86v
Pin 17 = 23.05v
Pin 19 = 13.05v
Pin 20 = 13.05v
Pin 21 = 13.06v
Here are the reading I got off awh-033
Pin 20 = 0.00v
Pin 21 = +0.57v
Pin 22 = +36.29v
Pin 23 = -0.02v
Pin 24 = -0.58v
Pin 25 = -36.52v
Pin 26 = -0.02v
Pin 27 = -0.58v
Pin 28 = -36.38v
Pin 29 = -36.13v
Pin 30 = -0.01v
Pin 31 = +0.58v
Pin 32 = +36.30v
Pin 33 = +36.33v
These readings seem to be in line with normal (or what I believe markthefixer posted for normal)
I fired it back up. The relay activated after about 3 seconds, no hum:), the tuner pulls in FM stations very good!

Thank you to all who responded and those from the other related threads:beerchug:. I will hook up some components tomorrow and run it for awhile. larryderouin you had it right!:bigok: Thanks! I will post my findings after some playtime tomorrow. I have pics of the rebuild...should I post them?

Frank

I have pics of the rebuild...should I post them?

I vote yes!

Back
Top Bottom