Pioneer SX 828 vs. SX 780

orriginal

I am still learning how to read spec sheets. Can someone give me a layman's rundown on the key differences between these two receivers, other than appearance?

Anyone have both and developed a preference?

They are both lovely and I'm sure I won't be disappointed with either.

I am still learning how to read spec sheets. Can someone give me a layman's rundown on the key differences between these two receivers, other than appearance?

Perhaps if you were to post the spec sheets, you might get some answers. Expecting everyone else to chase this down is a bit presumptuous on your part.

Regards,
Jerry

These are two well known and loved receivers. I was hoping that someone would give me their impressions of the two machines and their differences. Not asking anyone to do leg work for me.

My only presumption is based on my experience that people on this forum are generally knowledgeable and helpful. If you don’t want to help, don’t comment.

The 828 uses discreet outputs and has a rather warm sound when compared to the 780 with it's STK modules.

You can get replacement transistors fairly easily for the 828, the STK modules for the 780 are available but quality is spotty at best.

The 828 requires specific speaker connectors that are available on eBay while the 780 will accept bare wire.

I have owned both at one time or another and liked the 828 more but I like chocolate ice cream, you may not.

Of you can find an 838 or 939 you would get the discreet outputs without the funky speaker connections.

I still have an 838 if that tells you anything.

The 828 uses discreet outputs and has a rather warm sound when compared to the 780 with it's STK modules.

You can get replacement transistors fairly easily for the 828, the STK modules for the 780 are available but quality is spotty at best.

The 828 requires specific speaker connectors that are available on eBay while the 780 will accept bare wire.

I have owned both at one time or another and liked the 828 more but I like chocolate ice cream, you may not.

Of you can find an 838 or 939 you would get the discreet outputs without the funky speaker connections.

I still have an 838 if that tells you anything.

Thanks. I have the 838 set up now and love it. A 780 came up on the local CL for a bill, and I'm jumping on it, just to see if it can take out the 838. If not, I can flip it or keep it.

And I just loooooove the black dial and blue lights.

The Pioneer forum here on AK would probably be the best place to ask such a specific question. Given his response, Mr. Wizard spends some time there. Still love the sound of my 858 & 750. Good luck.

I have a very nice 780. I really have no complaints other than the availability of the STK's if one or both were to die. As long as you don't overdrive it, or cross speaker wires the STK's seem to hold up pretty well. And I like the black meters too. More models should have had them. Honestly I wasn't expecting much from the 780's phono stage, but I was pleasantly surprised. And why not keep both? Its always a good idea to have a backup.

Is it an 828 or an 838? Either one won't be bested by the 780 anyway. 828 = 54 wpc, 838 = 50 wpc. 780 = 45 wpc.
Many as do I also believe the older models are a better build than the SX-X80 series.
FWIW I think my 737, 838 and 949 all sound warmer than my 680, 780 or 1080.

The 828 I believe was only bested by the sx1010 and a nice receiver. I had one in my bedroom for a long time, and a 737 before that.
Don't sweat the speaker connectors as bare wires can be inserted, spades soldered on to cables and inserted, or replacements sourced. The formers aren't a solid mechanical connection like the connectors, but can be effective.

I don't have any experience with the x80 receivers, but always enjoyed my x2x and x3x models.

The specs are close enough.. specs between these two might not be the way to decide anyway. From personal experience I can tell you the 828 is a much 'nicer' set and will not disappoint in SQ... better in my opinion... plus.. it has discreet outputs... not large scale IC. The 828 also has special little plugs for the speaker connections which are available... besides.. a regular spade connector will slip into the slot. I assume the 828 is operating correctly. It has more pre amp controls too... independent tone controls for each channel.. a nice mode switch.. things that used to be on amplifiers when it was considered more of a hobby.

Discrete outputs means the output transistors in the power amp section are separate discrete transistors in the SX-828 which can be easily replaced with modern equivalents if they go bad. The SX-780 uses an output "power pack" module which is basically a large IC chip package instead of separate output transistors. Authentic power pack replacements are very hard to impossible to find, but eBay is loaded with lots of cheap "knock-offs" that may or may not work properly. Personally I would choose the SX-828 but remember that these units are all getting pretty old now and service will probably be needed no matter which one you choose.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with a 780 if you already have an 828 or (838). Both look better, sound better, and are better built than the 780 in my opinion.

Y’all are amazing. Thanks. Sounds like the 838 is a superior machine, which was my conclusion based on wattage alone. Mine came with the speaker plugs, so that was lucky.

Now on to this stubborn tuner knob on the 780 so I can flip it. Thing is super stuck.
I’ve read the threads but still can figure out where to apply fresh lube.

Any ideas on the tuner dial for the 780? How do I unstick it?

1. Remove the cover and have a look inside.
Does anything look wrong or out of place?
Is the string intact and in place? Compare it to the the drawing in the service manual.
Do you see dirt or corrosion in or around the dial knob shaft, the pullies over which the string passes, or the tuner capacitor?
A careful spritz of non-residue, plastic-compatible contact cleaner may help to remove any dirt, etc. from between parts.
Remove the tuning knob (loosen metric set screw holding it to shaft) to inspect behind it.

If visual inspection reveals no obvious problems, then judicious application of a small amount of the appropriate lubricant to points of rotating contact may help.
The pullies are likely plastic.
You will want to use a lubricant that will not hurt them.
Wiser souls than I will chime in with recommendations of the proper oil/lube.
I would go slow, be careful, and use a paper towel, etc. to avoid getting lube where it does not belong.

Search for the thread that documents how to clean and lube the variable capacitor if you suspect corrosion there.

The SX-828 (and 727) have nice looking walnut veneer cabinets. In the "x3x" series, one needs to step all the way up to the 1010 to get a real wood cabinet (though I've heard rumors of some rare 939's that have real wood cabinets). I believe that the real wood starts with the SX-850 in that series. 'Not sure with the x80 series.

I like and use both an 828 and 636 here. Though the 636 I have is "vinyl veneer", the quality of the vinyl seems much better than the vinyl used on the x50 series.

Back
Top Bottom