Pioneer SX1980 - you wont believe this.

Your Pioneer could seriously challenge the Marantz that went through a house fire and was used in the classic ad:

image.php

This was when manufacturers took pride in building equipment that would last. Sometime during the mid 80's this philosophy switched to the short term obsolesce model we have today. Back then everything from shaving blades to washing machines were built to last.

I reckon this could be brought back to what it used to be, with time and patience you'll get there eventually. I once rescued a SX1280 on its way to the dump spotted it among tree/bush clippings on this guys trailer! Luckily it was sitting on top for some weight so didn't sustain any damage! Like you I was ' in the right place at the right time'!!

There's been plenty of talk about the cosmetics of this unit but do we know whether anything still actually functions on it or is it a non working unit that was just shoved aside years ago due to failure. Sadly most of the cabinet damage sustained was probably done by the wallies that were using it as a staircase.

Think about how many top end units found their way to the tip years ago when this vintage Hi-Fi craze wasn't even born and most of this gear was considered as obsolete and out of fashion.

oooh looking forward to this! Even if it does not end up as you like it cosmetically bringing the guts back to life will leave you with something that i do not doubt is special.
But remember this!

:needpics:

Best of luck!! The lads/ladies will sort you out,, they are just amazing

I (like many others) applaud your effort, but cosmetics would be the last thing I worried about. How are the electronics? You can polish a turd to a spit-shine, but it is still sh*t inside...

Good Luck!!!

An update.
Cosmetically, the faceplate is now AOK - definitely not AA but B+ at least. The top was badly scored by the guys' boots but sanding it down with an orbital sander and then when all the scratches were gone (save for a couple of deep marks) I sanded with 150 grit in a parallel direction using a guide rail to keep parallel. Then followed by parallel finishing with a green scotch pad. Both used a sanding block to keep level. Coated with Rustoleum gloss clear coat enamel. The front of the faceplate was not sanded but I cleaned all the black paint off with Acetone (and all the trim pieces as well) and this removed all the black lettering as well. Fortunately the SX1980 uses etched lettering - otherwise I'd have been screwed. Then I filled all the etched letters with rustoleum enamel paint from a can using a brush. After it got a bit tacky (5 mins or so) I wiped it off with a finger and paper towel but not too heavy to remove it from the grooves. I let it dry overnight and cleaned it with a mild abrasive (toothpaste and baking soda. Here are some pics including the "before pic"
20190209_183431.jpg 20190211_111839.jpg 20190211_111934.jpg 20190211_142657_HDR.jpg

And I guess you want to know how it works. Well, it doesn't but I sort or expected that. I turned it on with a dim bulb and....nothing. The bulb does not even flicker. it gets power to the switch but not to the transformer but all the fuses are OK so I suspect the switch or relay. It could be worse inside - the AWR-154 power board has relatively little damage from heat (compared to some others who have posted here) but I will rebuild this board before turning it on by following the excellent guides on this site posted by the well-known Pioneer gurus who lurk here.

Looking good!
That faceplate has come a long way.

Ya know....... bringing something like this back to life will be VERY rewarding.
I think for me, saving an iconic receiver like you are, is way more special than if I had written a $2500 check for a nice 1980.

Will you consider re-anodizing the face plate if you need it?

Also, maybe the thermal fuse on the power board has gone open?

Amazing find... just shows you, one mans trash... :eek2:

Also, maybe the thermal fuse on the power board has gone open?

This, that or the 3.3 ohm soft start resistor under the metal cover on the board, or possibly both are bad. Either way there is replacements available for both. If you have a DMM (Digital Multimeter) you can quickly test the thermal fuse in circuit to see if it's bad, if it measures near 0 ohms it's good. Make sure the receiver is unplugged from the wall before you do this! It could get a little tingly otherwise. :yikes:

OK- Found some issues. The R101 resister (the big ceramic one) had burn marks under it which I read in another post that it should never get hot. It measures 3.3ohm so it's OK. The thermal fuse under it also seemed OK but then I swung open the board and it looks like someone ran a hard wire bypass over R101 - probably because it kept blowing open. So I guess it has blown the next part in the circuit. There is an internal thermal fuse inside the transformer or perhaps the mail filter caps? Can I check them without removing them? And there is no DC voltage anywhere I can see. Only AC to the switch and to pin26 and as I said before all fuses are intact.

OMG what a find! I can't believe it.. for $20. It's worth WAY more than that! The back antenna and all the connections all look intact too which is nothing short of amazing considering that they guys were using it as a footstep. That being said, the insides look even better. Well done!

Back
Top Bottom