Pioneer VSX D1S vs. VSX 9900s

Gingybread

was looking at the D1S but got out bidded. And then I was looking at 9900s. Looks good and the same for the most part. The main purpose to use these receivers is to play it in stereo mode. Which one would be better for that? One last question if I were buy either one and it did not come with the original remote, could I just get a replacement one on eBay and should work just fine?

Remotes will be very difficult to come across, but not impossible. I had one of the VSXs and it did not last because the transistor driver board was stacked horizontally in the case at the bottom of the stack. Heat built up in there so bad that it did damage to the card above and below. The driver card should never have been put in a position 1 up from the bottom, rather, it should have been at the top. I question the engineering of these units, but I do not know how you can protect yourself from these kind of issues. Good luck in your search.

You've come to the right place! I have BOTH of these receivers in mint condition and they're both nearly identical in terms of performance and specs. I wanted a D1s SO badly for years because it was the elusive Pioneer that my dad didn't buy and he instead opted for a more affordable VSX 9900s. Now that I own both and they both work flawlessly that you losing out on the D1s isn't the end of the world. The 9900s will easily hold its own against its slightly bigger brother. The main differences between the D1s that I found nice was it used a flip down panel to hide the surround controls including the volume controls for the centre and rear channels whereas the 9900s requires you to use the remote to do the same adjustment. The D1s Input selector buttons are machined aluminum vs. plastic on the 9900, the display on the D1s shows individual bars for each channel that is takes up half of the front panel display vs. a condensed version on the 9900s that only occupies just a quarter of the display (on the left side). The D1s b/c of the fold down panel gives it a cleaner front as well.

In terms of acoustics you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. The D1s sports more power but as far as listening volumes are concerned I have two identical setups side by side in my basement and doing A/B testing I can't tell the difference. Both receivers have the same THD figures, use basically the same power supply and even weigh nearly the same. They both also use Pioneer's non switching amp design and they run hot hot hot so heat degradation of components are a reality on these things.

As king bubba has indicated finding a remote for either of these receivers to enable all functionality will be difficult at best. Trust me I've looked for a hell of a long time and the closest thing I found is a new CU-AV200 learning remote from Pioneer that was a fancy glorified LCD remote for this receiver. It controls a LOT on these receivers but it doesn't control everything like the factory included remote would. If you intent to only ever use it on stereo mode and need a basic remote then any older Pioneer receiver remote (including even the touch LCD remotes) will work with either receiver. You're only really using the power button, input function button, volume and maybe mute which almost ALL Pioneer receiver remotes have.

If you can't find yourself a decent deal on a 9900s or a D1S consider looking at Pioneer VSX-d901S or a VSX-d902s. They were updated copies of the original 9900/9900s and were just as good if not exactly the same unit.

Hope that helps!

Very helpful! Thank you! There is a D1S on eBay right now actually for $375 mint, with the remote too. Good deal or too pricey? I’ll look at the other models you listed too.

depends on how badly you want the D1s. I HAD to have a D1s so I purchased one from a collector in Canada and paid $400 for it so they go for some decent money but it has to be mint mint with everything in flawless condition for that price.

I missed out on a local D1s that came with all the multi room gear + remote and a bunch of other stuff and it only sold for $150 CAD.

You've come to the right place! I have BOTH of these receivers in mint condition and they're both nearly identical in terms of performance and specs. I wanted a D1s SO badly for years because it was the elusive Pioneer that my dad didn't buy and he instead opted for a more affordable VSX 9900s. Now that I own both and they both work flawlessly that you losing out on the D1s isn't the end of the world. The 9900s will easily hold its own against its slightly bigger brother. The main differences between the D1s that I found nice was it used a flip down panel to hide the surround controls including the volume controls for the centre and rear channels whereas the 9900s requires you to use the remote to do the same adjustment. The D1s Input selector buttons are machined aluminum vs. plastic on the 9900, the display on the D1s shows individual bars for each channel that is takes up half of the front panel display vs. a condensed version on the 9900s that only occupies just a quarter of the display (on the left side). The D1s b/c of the fold down panel gives it a cleaner front as well.

In terms of acoustics you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. The D1s sports more power but as far as listening volumes are concerned I have two identical setups side by side in my basement and doing A/B testing I can't tell the difference. Both receivers have the same THD figures, use basically the same power supply and even weigh nearly the same. They both also use Pioneer's non switching amp design and they run hot hot hot so heat degradation of components are a reality on these things.

As king bubba has indicated finding a remote for either of these receivers to enable all functionality will be difficult at best. Trust me I've looked for a hell of a long time and the closest thing I found is a new CU-AV200 learning remote from Pioneer that was a fancy glorified LCD remote for this receiver. It controls a LOT on these receivers but it doesn't control everything like the factory included remote would. If you intent to only ever use it on stereo mode and need a basic remote then any older Pioneer receiver remote (including even the touch LCD remotes) will work with either receiver. You're only really using the power button, input function button, volume and maybe mute which almost ALL Pioneer receiver remotes have.

If you can't find yourself a decent deal on a 9900s or a D1S consider looking at Pioneer VSX-d901S or a VSX-d902s. They were updated copies of the original 9900/9900s and were just as good if not exactly the same unit.

Hope that helps!
I have a 901s..
Circa 1993
I can Attest to the Receiver being Great for Stereo....

The last thing I want is to buy it for $375 and then see a new one listed for $180 same condition. I actually found a D901s in good condition with the remote too for $175. Might just get that.

The last thing I want is to buy it for $375 and then see a new one listed for $180 same condition. I actually found a D901s in good condition with the remote too for $175. Might just get that.
Just a FYI..

My Remote for my 2009 Pioneer Elite works most functions on my 1993 901s

I bought a VSX-D1S for $150 in absolutely mint condition. Looked for 2 years to find one at a decent price. Craigslist Atlanta. It was in the original box with the original Pioneer CU-VSX053 A/V Receiver remote control. The didn't have so much as a mark on it. Looked like it just was unpacked new. I cracked open the remote to clean one contact and broke the board when I pried it open. Even being very careful the plastic pry tool slipped and broke the edge of the board. So I went on ebay and low and behold there was one for $18 shipped also in mint condition. This remote does everything. I lucked out. It too was in like new condition. The receiver has worked flawlessly for 2 years. Couldn't be happier with it. Mostly use it in Stereo mode. It has a pretty good sound and all for $168. I've never seen one for this low a price again. Pioneer_edited-1.jpg

Well done. Going forward pay attention to the outputs to make sure there’s is no HUM. If there is even so much a hint of it that you need to replace the power supply caps with higher temperature rated ones. I have replaced 5 small caps in the main power supply and left the two large filtering caps and place and the receiver sings like it was new again. In fact I think the power comrade of the unit has slightly improved since it is getting the proper power to all the boards downstream.

Recently acquired Pioneer VSX 9900s as my 5th amplifier, i think its a never ending race.

The unit is in good condition besides two 3 buttons not working. However the amp beats my
Sansui G6000, sansui A-60 , DTS vsx 939tx in sound quality and detail.
Run my philips fideleo X2HR sings like a canary, able to hear the slightest hint of music and even pick page ruffling or body movement of artists while listening to Danish National Symphony Orchestra.
Sometimes the highs feel crackle like.
All and all pioneer vsx-9900s sounds pure and solid. i think i found my match.

Back
Top Bottom